Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We need an Alaska Gardening Forum - Vote with a reply!!!

Thumbs up We need an Alaska Gardening Forum - Vote with a reply!!!

Okay folks, you know what I mean. Look up "cold climate gardening" and you end up with info and advice on gardening from upstate NY and such. Now there is a lot of very fine info and advice from those folks...but I really want to talk to people from Alaska sometimes. And I think this forum would be a great place to do it!!

Vote with a reply! Vote for an Alaska Gardening Forum!!!

I cannot believe we don't already have one! It is an outdoors pursuit. Besides moose ain't right without carrots and potatoes.

+2
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Default Alaska Gardening Forum

New to these forums and soon to be moving to POW Island. I am very interested in an Alaska Gardening Forum. No moose there but I have four bears to feed plus ourselves (four newfoundland dog, haha).
    Linda Holt~ onwhiskeycreek

Alaska Gardening Forum,
    I think it's a great idea!

Default I think it would be great!

I used to grow some good stuff in Oklahoma but have not really got into it up here!

I give it 2 thumbs up!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default Great idea

Sounds good. At first, I thought of the Alaska Pantry Forum, but realize gardening is a different discussion.

Hello Onwhiskycreek! Welcome to the group. Good luck finding any soil on POW. You may have to bring your own.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Hear Hear!

Good Idea!

I think this is a great idea. Even though we live in anchor town we have a nice garden each year. Last year was beans, snap peas, carrotts, brocclli and even got a few maters out of the deal.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Great Idea

Would love to see it. Alaskachuck - I may have to hit you up on figuring out how to get them there maters to come in.

Hey JMG. I think i just got lucky. Nothing special a small little "hot box". Living on the west side of town facing the long evening sun i think i just got lucky. A couple of baseball sized and a half dozen a bit small but the taste was amazing. I am going to give it another go this year. The snap peas were totally amazing. Just ran some lattice up the back fence. Started the peas and carrorts and maters and bean inside around mid april. Planted mid may (a bit risky on some but it worked out). All in all made for some nice veggies to take to the river on my fall fishing trips. The peas I just plant and watered as well at the beans and carrotts. I did put plastic around the maters and and plastic lid to keep heat in when needed. Like they say. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then. This year ill make sure to take some pics before i eat them all.

yum yum
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Yes for me!

You got my YES vote!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Hey JMG. I think i just got lucky. Nothing special a small little "hot box". Living on the west side of town facing the long evening sun i think i just got lucky. A couple of baseball sized and a half dozen a bit small but the taste was amazing. I am going to give it another go this year. The snap peas were totally amazing. Just ran some lattice up the back fence. Started the peas and carrorts and maters and bean inside around mid april. Planted mid may (a bit risky on some but it worked out). All in all made for some nice veggies to take to the river on my fall fishing trips. The peas I just plant and watered as well at the beans and carrotts. I did put plastic around the maters and and plastic lid to keep heat in when needed. Like they say. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then. This year ill make sure to take some pics before i eat them all.

yum yum

I'm actually thinking of putting a makeshift greenhouse this summer. We'll see how that goes.

YES!

Seems like alot of the old time green thumbs have tricks/methods only used in these latitudes, would be great to have access to some of that knowledge.

KK

Thumbs up gardening forum

Great idea and very appropriate. The moderators should take up on this suggestion.

My wife and I have been gardening with enthusiasm for 33 years. And we have much more to learn.

+1 here. A Gardening Forum would be great!

Default yes

It is the alaska outdoors. My wife might let me on here more too.

Thumbs up Yes Yes

yes lets get a gardening forum started. There is so much that could be shared

Default Ok, so now what?

So this thread has gotten longer and longer. What is the next step for getting a new forum on here? Anybody know?

Dont know how....but want a gardening forum

Great idea. I'm interested in learning more about hydroponics.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast