Thread: My partner was successful!

Default My partner was successful!

Went out yesterday afternoon, my hunting partner asked me if I wanted to go on a day trip for moose & buy gas (not having a boat, I jump on a good deal when I see one) & said sure!

I also asked him if I could bring my 9 y/o son with us, & he obliged & said that he could use the exposure. I finished packing up my gear, did some errands, bought the gas, & my son came home from school & he pulls up, below my house on the beach & we head out.

He said he wanted to hunt Owl Slough just right across from Marshall here, & I said no problem. (Many a bullís been pulled out of Owl Slough lately), We motor around in the boat into the slough & pull into a creek trib of Owl slough, & slow idle all the way to near the end, & never saw anything.

The creek was narrow & deep banked on either side at times, & I instructed my son to scan ahead & back, to look up the deep bank or low bank for any movement. As we came to a long narrow low bank part of the creek, with good willow browse on both sides, we saw plenty of foraging sign on the willow bark, but no moose.

This long stretch of creek ended with a meadow on the left hand (port?) side of the boat, & then 90 degrees, to the right (starboard?) it flows into another much larger meadow, & then widens into the most perfect moose sanctuary youíd ever want! The creek was full of succulent moose grass on each side, & in the deep creek, itself.

As we gained speed, we rounded a couple of bends & found a cow & two calves, as my heart nearly skipped a couple of beats, near the right bank side. I told my partner to cut the engine & float for a bit as we watched the cow browse the creek bed for succulents.

My ever-intelligent son had to ask, ďWhy arenít you catching this moose?Ē I had to tell him it was a cow & not a bull, & he understood. We floated to within 41 yards of her & her calves, the calves were very apprehensive of our presence, but momma kept on eating & eating away. I cow called, & she kept eating, & bull grunted & she kept eating, & the calves were very curiously inspecting the air with their noses & wondering what the heck we were. (us three in a 22í long aluminum boat!). But momma never worried, & ate & ate, & that set the calves at ease, they joined her in dinning on creek bed grasses. The funny thing was that I still have a cold, & coughed quite a bit during the monitoring of the cow & calves, but the moose never worried.

Now donít get me wrong, but the thought crossed my mind, more than once, to shoot the cow, but I quickly buried the temptation, knowing itís illegal. I finally allowed my son to range the moose, & he ranged them at 73 yards. It started to downpour & we got on our wet weather gear rather noisily, & still, momma just kept on eating & eating.

During the downpour I noticed about 400 yards down the creek another cow & two more calves were eating in the creek too! WOW! What a bonanza! I cow called & bull grunted & poured a quart of water or more into the creek & waited & waited. I lent my son my binos & he watched both the sets of cows & calves intently.

About 30 mins later or so later, a nice sized bull, with no velvet, & nearly red antlers, came between the two sets of cows, off the right, about 200 yards away, I quickly notified my partner (driver of the boat) & we chambered our rounds, & I fired first, in due haste, (as I thought the bull would get whiff of us & hustle out of there), & I fired even though my scope was beaded up with raid, & I didnít think twice about clearing off the beads of rain or even unscrewing the scope protector to allow a clearer shot picture. (kicking my self in the butt still) & missed all three shots! (The bull never budged! But the cows & calves ran).

I quickly, (& shakily, reloaded my magazine) but my partner then fired off a shot as well, & the bull never budged, & he fired off another round & this time, it went down with a quickness Iíve only seen once before. My knees were shaking, my hands were shaking & looked at my son & showed him my excitement, & he said he was shaking too. My partner, was calm cool & collected, & said that this was a yearly tradition for him since childhood. I wasnít raised hunting.

We went over to the moose & butchered him; all the while I was telling my son what we were doing & why we were doing it. As I want him to learn what I didnít have the privilege or patience to know when I was 9. My son was very well behaved, sat still, & was very quite. This was his only second moose hunt heíd ever gone on with me & I must say that this will be, hopefully, his best memory for a long time.

I canít second guess myself on this, as hindsight is 20/20, & my adrenaline was pumping fast and furious, but I should have allowed my partner to see if we could have gotten within bow range to him (I brought my bow), & I should have cleared off my front scope or unscrewed the cover off the scope. Nonetheless, my partner, a very able & experienced hunter, finished the job. This day trip is going to be one that is worth the memory, & the lesson learned, STAY CALM!

My partner was willing to share Ĺ the moose but I told him I have not room in my freezer, & we donít have a chest or secondary freezer, yet. But I did ask him if I could have choice cuts, & he said sure! I told him I only wanted one loin, & a side of ribs. I gave the ribs to my aged in-laws & just today cooked up the tender loin (after a 12hr marinating in teriyaki in room temps) with sautťed onions, & eggs. I first served my sister-in law & her boyfriend (who only had ten minutes to get back to work, & I told him thatís plenty of time) I have to tell you this was one FAT moose!

I apologize too, I didnít bring my camera with, this bull was a fine 45Ē+ I will have to remember to always ďBe Prepared!Ē

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Goalie...

That is a great story and we all have "errors" in our hunting histories. Don't second guess yourself, just make it better next time.

I do have one question though. If your freezer is full, why are you throwing lead?

Thumbs up Good question...

"If your freezer is full, why are you throwing lead?" Here in the village, there are plenty of elders, my in-laws in particular, who don't activly hunt for food, as they are too old, & the only son they have that lives here in town, has a very "stingey" wife. He never can share with his side of the family & only shares with her side of the family (a very large family in this village), so, you ask "why are you throwing lead?" is a legitimate question, come from the outside looking in...to be a true Nukalpiaq (Yupik term for hunter, but has many connotations) is to be a provider. Should I get a moose, I won't fill my freezer, but I will definatley fill someone else's freezer, who needs it & thus hopefully, accomplishing what it means to be a "True Nukalpiaq."

Another thing, Soggy, goalie didn't mention how big a freezer he has, or what else might be in it. A full freezer could very well be full of fish and berries this time of year. Just cuz a guys freezer is full doesn't mean he isn't in need of more food.
    But goalie, seems like you coulda enjoyed a little more of that meat. Hung a partial quarter outside in a cool place and eaten on it for a few days??? Plenty of time to hunt some more where you live, eh?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default But...

Marten trapper, gogoalie plainly stated that if he got a moose he wouldn't fill his freezer, but others in his village- which is admirable- for a younger member of a family to provide food for their elders is a fantastic tradition that has been around for centuries- as long as all of the animal gets used, does it really matter who provides it? I live in the matsu valley, 3rd generation Alaskan, which is not many compared to many in rural AK, and I guarntee I will be 'providing' meat to my family when they are unable to hunt.

We're all wired a bit different.

I always take half when I hunt with a partner.

I always give half when I hunt with a partner.

And, if you're entitled to half, and don't have room for it, you could have still shared it with the in-laws...

I'm not at all criticisizing. You happen to be one of my favorite people on the forum. But, we are wired differently with regard to your portion of this particular hunt. I'd have accepted half, and, if I didn't have room, I'd have given it to those who can't get it on their own.

My dad has a proxy hunter. It isn't me. And, because of the proxy, I have been eating elk, buffalo, and antique deer (which upsets me).

Default Soggy, you bring a tear to my eye...

"You happen to be one of my favorite people on the forum." Whatever I do to deserve a favorite, I don't know...I appreciate the kind remarks... :P

But yeah, my partner who caught the moose, has a rather large family as well, 5 kids & a wifey at bat, so I didn't want to be too greedy, & I would have taken half, as he offered it, but again, I don't have room in my freezer...

MT, you forget that I am living in Marshall? You & I have a mutual aquaintence named Sally D.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    "You happen to be one of my favorite people on the forum." Whatever I do to deserve a favorite, I don't know...I appreciate the kind remarks... :P

But yeah, my partner who caught the moose, has a rather large family as well, 5 kids & a wifey at bat, so I didn't want to be too greedy, & I would have taken half, as he offered it, but again, I don't have room in my freezer...
    And your tag is still unfilled. 1/2 of which would be your partners to do with as he sees fit.

If anyone is hungry, feed them. But a hunting partner is a hunting partner, and the profits of the hunt are divided equally between the participants.

We're just wired different.

As for what you've done to be a "favorite.."

Your thoughts are clear, your ideas have credence, and, you consider others.

You are not my favorite... just one of the many.

And, with that said, I think I'll start a new thread. heh

Hadn't forgot where you are at all, goalie. Seen Ms. D. last may at the native hospital, working the reception desk.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Nothing to Complain about.

That sounded like a good time. Thanks for sharing the story. One thing though..How do you catch a moose?

Wink Very noble!

Gogoalie, impressed with the story and honesty! It's also good to see that you only took what you could presently use. Always felt that a good deed will always be returned and therefore you're due! Your partner should thank you too. You'll get em next time...

Default Great story

Thanks for sharing this story. I forget what it was like; those first few hunts. My father was a big-game hunter, but I only hunted deer with him once when I was really little. Later we hunted ducks and geese together, but I essentially taught myself how to hunt big game.

Anyway, you brought back a lot of memories. The quiet morning, the mist in the air, the excitement of seeing game and the bouts of buck fever that leave you all shaky and hyped at the same time. Even the mistakes and such.

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Have a great fall-

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Red face Thank you...

for your audience, I didn't think the story would be so long...but as I typed I wanted to get as much detail as possible...

MT, now that I go back & reread your post, I see what you meant now...

AKBoater, "Catch a moose" is Yukonese for shooting a moose...I swear I could write a book on all the Yukonese, like "Whacher doin?" Means, you don't have a freakin clue as to fixing a motor, snogo, or building something, typically a very condescending phrase, but also used as a greeting to find out what you are going to do the rest of the day.

Michael:
    "but I essentially taught myself how to hunt big game." That's basically what I am in the process of doing myself, at 36, I've hunted the past three years, more that I have ever hunted in my entire life combined. I really want to give my sons the opportunities I never had, I take my two boys out berry picking (womans duty out here) but they've got to learn, my youngest son loves to eat blueberries, as they say here on the Yukon, "He can't see blueberries!" I have yet to let him shoot a gun, & hope to buy him a nice .22 someday soon. I've recently allowed him to come & shoot his lil brave scout bow with me...

On this hunt, there are things that really surprised me, one was the cow moose kept on eating, even though we spoke just above a whisper, & made an ocasional clanking noise, & my presistent cough, two: How was it that the bull moose, even though it was about 200 yrds away, why it didn't run on the first four shots, yet the cows & calves took off like bats outta hell, & three: it was only the 5th of September, & the velvet was nearly off (only the scrags hanging on the antler tips). That would tell me that the rut is full on, wouldn't it? It was one stinking moose...really musky, willowy smelling moose.

Cool

How do you MISS a moose??LOL

Very good read. I have family and plenty of friends up there in MLL. Been 3 years since I've taken a boating trip up there, but I did pass there on the 1st of June w/a "barge."
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default velvet

Gogoalie-
    Moose can be completely peeled in late August- at least in southcentral ak, and don't really start to stink and enter full rut until mid-late september- at least in my experience- here is my sept. 1st bull-he was partially peeled even a couple of days before.-and I also have to wonder how one misses a moose 4 times at 200 yards- unless a scope had been bumped en route !!
    Last edited by sockeye1; 01-20-2009 at 07:49.