Thread: Gulkana / Klutina / Chena :-)

Thumbs up Gulkana / Klutina / Chena :-)

Ok what a ride the past 5 days great trip, great weather decent fishing.

The water is still some what high i.e. 8-12 inches depending on what your thought process is. Spent the better part of the past 4 days coming down from Paxon Again :-) Rainbow fishing was off some, but still good numbers, the Kings are starting to roll in to the Spawn Shop couple of guys working Air Boats up high. Yes the Red Fishing is decent to Good and as always Grayling after Grayling. First 12 Bends above the Forks all had fish they were not stacked by any means, but we had no problem in catching Kings 4-6ft of water clarity. Vibrex size 6 Black body silver bell with a touch of orange on the blade work well.

Below the forks was off color anly about 2-3ft but there were ample kings in the system some with little coloration on the skin 70/30 bucks to hens. Back Bouncing Roe and or Wiggle Warts work well.

Today the water dropped to very fishable levels at the Richardson Bridge Roe fishing was excellent Bright Fish was nice to see.

Klutina was packed this weekend and I do mean packed the 2nd run of Reds has entered the system and evey one and I do mean every one was out and about Ample Kings as well :-)

Last note!!!! Slim to None was the amount of boat traffic on the upper lower river.

Tight Lines and Good Luck and again JLady sorry for snapping little sleep and to many boats makes for a fun, but short summer. I owe you a favor.

On a side note the Chena Kings should be pushing in to fishable numbers with in the next 5-7 days. Water is high!

Richard M. Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

Moose, I would prefer to use my raft from Poplar to the Bridge, but I have access to a jet boat to go up from Sourdough.......Are there still plenty of kings down from poplar or would I be better off fishing above the forks? THANKS

Default Both Decent

To Be honest the entire system seems to have good fishing now that the water is dropping. We caught fish on both ends Mon, and Tues. Tuff call!

We caught fish every stop on Sunday from above the forks as well as evey hole below the forks on Monday. I think it is a win win siutation on the Gulkana this week.

Moose, hows it looking for next weekend?

Smile Excellent :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45
    Moose, hows it looking for next weekend?
    If we do not get to much rain fishing should be excellent. For all the issues with the late start to the season it seems to have increased the over all fishing for the most part. ON the 4th and 5th from RV Park down lots of Grey fish verses red fish.

Default KLUTINA River...

Thinking of driving down there this weekend from wasilla with my son. Where could I bank fish and for what? Gear etc. Never been there, obviously. Any good camp grounds around for tents? Any help would be great...
    <*)))><

Red face King for a Day or Klutina River Charters

Quote Originally Posted by FISHGIRL
    Thinking of driving down there this weekend from wasilla with my son. Where could I bank fish and for what? Gear etc. Never been there, obviously. Any good camp grounds around for tents? Any help would be great...
    Just take the road to Copper Center from the Richardson you will hit both camp-grounds

Water condition is Fast. Excellent camping spots in either location. Gear will require a little heavier line and rod set up than normal for Red. Good King Numbers in the river as well so be ready to handle one of those well.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose
    On a side note the Chena Kings should be pushing in to fishable numbers with in the next 5-7 days. Water is high!
    Any updates on the Chena?

Cool Chena

Kings are starting to gather in numbers, but the high water is making a mess of fishery at this time. If our weather pattern holds it will be game on by the end of the week for most of the fishable system.

Tight Lines

Blue Moose