Thread: Help !!!

Default Help !!!

We are leaving South Dakota in 5 Days for Kotzebue for Caribou Hunt.
    Just found out that the airlines do not allow any Blackpowder of any kind on the planes.
    How do most people hunt muzzleloader if they can't take powder.

Any help appreciated.

Thanx

BP is available in Anchorage, but that doesn't help you in Kotz. Time allowing it would be theoretically possible to have a sub like Pyrodex shipped to yourself in Kotz, at least from Anchorage on a non-passenger freight carrier like Northern Air Cargo. I'd sure get on the phone with your charter/guide/host in Kotz and see if they could order you up what you need from Anchorage and have it waiting for you when you get there. With 5 days available, it might also be possible to have an online vendor Fedex one of the subs to you at Kotz.

Anyone here from Kotz who could help out with a local source?

Default Thanx

Thanx for the advice Brown Bear .
    Got ahold of outfitter they think they have what I need besides the 209 primers.
    He thought the airlines would not mind the primers.
    Boy - did I learn a lesson . I was not thorogh enough with this airline restriction stuff.
    funny - a guy can declare and bring 10 lbs of ammo but absolutely no blackpowder.

If your using something like triple 7 or pyrodex, I wonder if you have to claim it as BP?, I mean its not BP, its a substitute.

BP, by the way is classified as a explosive, wich garners it a higher risk classification. Not sure how the subs are classified.

I'd sure ask homeland security that question and get it in writing, as well as the airlines and maybe even ATF. Then carry copies of the letters with you as you travel and have the 24-hour number for your attorney. Not saying it's legal or not, but getting an incompetent official along the way could turn out really nasty for a while.

Anyone else have any experiance taking BP or 777 or 209 primers on airlines.

Going to ADQ to hunt goats & I was told by NAC that no BP can be shipped period. See if a local sporting goods store may sell it? That is the least headache from what I found. You can send substitutes, but you need a special approved box that is rated (4G with 1X rating). The box you can pick up at TGI here in ANC, NAC does not carry them they are $15 bucks or so & the HAZ-MAT fee is another $50. So I think a phone call and a trip to a local sporting goods store is a more logical solution.
    Also read a post from a person on the hunting forum that lives up there in OTZ. Give him an e-mail. I am sure he can fill you in on what or if anything is up there to buy? If not better have a lay over in ANC to stop @ Sportman's Warehouse and pick up one of those special boxes. Good luck,

Default Black powder availability in Anchorage

If you're looking for regular Goex black powder, if think only Great Northern Guns has it in Anchorage. Just bought some there myself today. I asked at Sportsman's Warehouse, they don't carry it. They do carry Triple 7, Pyrodex, 209 primers, etc.

The previous post was correct, regular black powder is classified as an explosive and thus is tightly regulated on shipping, transport and such. That's why it's usually kept in a locked container behind the counter at stores, if they carry it at all. Triple 7 and Pyrodex are classified as propellants, like smokeless powder, and thus sold off the shelves. My guess is you can check in 209 primers in your luggage at the airport. Shouldn't be any different than checking in regular bullets since they all have primers, right? But to be safe, it would be best to call the airlines and confirm.

CapnJack, which part of South Dakota ya from? I just moved up here from Custer back in May. Sure am missing the Dakotas this time of year with the fall hunting season in full swing (didn't hunt as a nonresident in AK this fall).

Jeff

It's not homeland security that regulates this but the department of transportation title 49 CFR. Bulk gunpowder is 1.1 explosive. The primers however should be 1.4 and not a problem just make sure you check. Also don't think about sneaking it. Fines start at $150K.