Thread: Propeller guard designing

Default Propeller guard designing

Well, I took my grumman with a 15 hp evinrude out in some shallow stuff and it worked great. I do think that I need something to protect my prop though.

I know that people are using the rockguard with good results. I like making my own solutions instead of buying something.

My plan is to get a piece of pipe slightly larger then the diameter of the propeller (9") I would then weld a horizontal plate to the top of the pipe and bolt it to the cavitation plate on my outboard. I would then weld a vertical plate to the bottom of the pipe and bolt it to my skeg. This should provide a pretty rigid mounting arrangement that places the pipe around the propeller, protecting it from rocks, logs, etc.

Can anyone think of any problems that this arrangement might present? Any ideas for improvement?

Thanks for the comments

-frozen

Default Prop Guard

A FEW YEARS BACK THERE WAS SOME MADE BUT IT NEVER CAUGHT ON LRT US KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT FOR YOU
    I CAN THINK OF A FEY THINGS SUCH AS HITTING A ROCK AN HAVE IT GO INTO THE PROP AN STAY THERE, THERE IS NOTHING MORE that will get your attenation then have your motor stop going down a small river /stream
    SID

Thumbs up Rock Hopper

I have a Rock Hopper on my 9.9 works great!
    Alaska

Default guard designing

I, like alaskabushman, use a rockhopper on my 15hp Yamaha....and it's been an important aid to my rig. My river trips deal more with sunken logs, than with rocks. The RH has a bumper that extends forward from the front of the lower end. With the tilt unlocked, when the bumper hits a log, the motor tilts and runs over the log...also tends to raise the lift further....protecting the lowerend. Needless to say, I'm a fan of the RH.