Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did you buy your ATV?

Thumbs up Why did you buy your ATV?

I thought it would be fun to find out why everyone bought their ORV's to begin with. What is your reason?

Reason #1

I bought my ATV's to get off my butt to see stuff like this in our State like this...

Denali Hwy. Wow

Dave
    Live life now, or forever wish you did!

Default The only way to see it

for the normal working person is by ATV. Most of us don't have the time available to take a week to hike back into Eureka (for example), but I can see everything a hiker does on a weekend. It is a way for the whole family to get out there together.
    My lifestyle and family require me to have a fulltime job, so I have to live in town. My lifestyle also includes using my wheelers to see the rest of Alaska.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

So I can continue to throw money into the gas tank and tool box until the thing is finally ready for an early grave in the junk pile

My new slogan: if it flies, floats, four-wheels, or...well, you know...it is better to rent.

Originally I bought mine for working around the yard pulling small stumps and toting a trailer around. It quickly worked into being a vital part of my hunting equipment. Now it is not so vital for hunting since 99% of hunters have them (different tactics are being developed....), but it is for getting the family out. The small kiddos can ride easily in the backpack and get to experience things they never would have if I had to hike with them on my back (like a 48 mile ride back in to Knik glacier).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I use mine for both hunting and fishing. More for fishing here in Kodiak. Saltry river!!!!
    Dave

When we bought our house my wife wanted me to buy one of them fancy tracked snowblowers. I told her if I was going to spend that kind of money it would be on a wheeler with a plow. Of course I had other intentions as well but that helped seal the deal over here.

It gets me to the fossil/rock areas I need to go to. Pulls all my camping gear into the mountains. The trails,the country, and best of all, the new people you get to meet. A bad day riding is WAY better than a day sitting on your rump at home!

Default Cabin

Believe it or not, I had purchased a cabin that is 9 miles off the road system. I had borrowed a friends a couple of times to check it out, and then I had to buy one. Now I use it as often as possible. My 2 year old loves going with in the second one I bought (Rhino). So it has turned into a family affair along with the occasional hunt.

Default Here Here!

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    A bad day riding is WAY better than a day sitting on your rump at home!
    I couldn't agree more!

Default Lately, my wheeler...

is used for w o r k.
    Used to be for hunting, fishing, camping but lately its all about plowing, hauling, winching and working.

I'll get out for a critter with it soon enough, I hope.

Frank

Default why not?

My dog can run twenty miles and I can't. Also for utility on my property. Access, hauling, hunting, fishing, etc. And i needed something to haul with my diesel

Default Dad got me hooked...

Back home in Iowa my dad bought a Honda threewheeler when I was in fifth grade for us to ride. We have both had the itch ever since. The next year we bought a yamaha Tri Moto 225 and two years after that a Kawasaki Bayou 300, and with my buddies suzuki quadrunner we tore up the fields and hills in Iowa.

After I joined the Air Force my dad gave me the Bayou, which I took down to New Mexico. I was lucky enough to work with lots of friends that also enjoyed ATVs and we went camping numerous times in New Mexico and Texas and always took the quads.

Got orders to Alaska about two years ago. Decided once we got here that I would buy another quad so me and the wife both had one. Picked up a 2005 yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 and it is AWESOME. Can't say enough about that machine, but the Bayou still plugs along just fine.

I pretty much have to ride, no matter where I am, so my quads are for Recreation. But man if I could get a job where all I had to do was ride, I'd be set for life.

Smile Let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer331 View Post
    So I can continue to throw money into the gas tank and tool box until the thing is finally ready for an early grave in the junk pile

My new slogan: if it flies, floats, four-wheels, or...well, you know...it is better to rent.
    When you're ready to throw it away, let me know and I'll dispose of it for you. I have learned to enjoy fixing up old things because I don't have money to burn, and don't want to owe the bank.

There has to be a certain amount of enjoyment in fixing wheelers, boats, etc. or you may as well rent. It's a lot cheaper.

I pondered on this some time ago when my friend in Homer gave up his boat, stating that it was cheaper to charter. At first I couldn't understand his viewpoint, but then I realized that he is correct. He spends probably $500 on charters a year to get his halibut, while I, a mere skiff owner- could easily spend twice that in fuel, insurance, maintenance, launch, licensing, trailering costs, etc. Same applies to a 4-wheeler. There has to be an owner/maintainer ethic, or you may as well rent.

Anyway, I supposedly have my old 4-wheeler to cruise the beaches, but it turns out to be more of a grandchildren-go-to-the-corner-store machine, while I do the fixing.

Default Lots

Bought it for many a reason: hauling firewood, prospecting, exploring, hunting and because I didn't have that toy in the yard yet.

Now where am I gonna fit the plane in the yard.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

For hunting:

1. To take my gear to my campsite, and back to the truck. To move to a hunting spot, and back to the campsite, or to haul moose meat to the truck.

2. To plow my driveway.

3. To ride the trails looking for grouse, or just for fun.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    But man if I could get a job where all I had to do was ride, I'd be set for life.
    The Troopers are hiring!......hehehe

Bought my last one with a priority of using it for transportation to Dipnetting area, Chitina and Kasilof. But I grew up on them, first one my father and I built from a kit we ordered from a magazine, Briggs engine and a bench seat. My neighbors when growing up had Honda 70s, then 110s and finally big Reds wow they were good friends to have. We had an Avenger and someother thing with no suspension. Then switched to motorcycles, but with the advent of the 4-Wheeler I love to ride them, just wish there was more time to ride it as there is plenty of other of stuff to do in Alaska. Plus I currently have a damaged CV boot on one of mine, but getting that fixed on Friday. Now just need some more decent weather to get the family out this fall again.

Default Let me guess...

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    ... first one my father and I built from a kit we ordered from a magazine, Briggs engine and a bench seat.
    ... the Heald Hauler?

The kit wheeler was a SuperTryke Bench Seat, think that is a type of Heald kit. Went together in a weekend, one night and one day. Shortly after assembling it I flipped it in a ditch by the house, good thing we had the role bar option. For the purpose of farm work it was a great rig to get on and off and fit 4 5 gallon buckets of feet in the racks. The twist motorcycle type throttle was a pain in the but.

I bought mine for family outings, camping, trail riding, working around the house, plowing snow, hunting etc. There's no way renting would be cheaper for me. I have three, and I maintain them myself.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast