Thread: Rowing frame

Question Rowing frame

I am looking to purchase a used frame for my 18ft tubes. Any suggestions? I will probably have to build it myself as I can build one cheaper than I can buy it new.
    Thanks BUZ

Default Cascade Outfitters Frame

Quote Originally Posted by buzby
    I am looking to purchase a used frame for my 18ft tubes. Any suggestions? I will probably have to build it myself as I can build one cheaper than I can buy it new.
    Thanks BUZ
    Buz,

I could be mistaken, but I think you might change your mind after you start exploring this a bit. Good cataraft frames are expensive. You could save a few bucks with Cascade Outfitters though. Have a look at their Rec 72 Cataraft Frame; it's made out of electrical conduit and will probably work for most trips. Forget it for fly-outs though; the components don't break down nearly as small as the NRS cataraft frames do. You pay extra for that convenience. Anyway, the Cascade frame may just be what you're looking for! I'm not aware of anyone currently bringing Cascade Outfitters' stuff into Alaska (no retail stores here for them), so you'll probably be looking at shipping charges too.

Good luck!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default frame

Buzby, I also have an 18' cataraft. I ordered it with the NRS frame and love it, I did some modifications however and I used 1 1/4" aluminum tube schedule 40 for the parts that lay on the tubes and schedule 80 for the cross beams because they are stronger. The fitting I used are made by Hollaender and can be bought in anchorage at Alaska Steel off Arctic boulevard. check their remnant yard for the tubing it's cheaper that way.
    William

Default Rowing Frame

Don't scrimp on two things (probably more). Get a good rowing seat and put it on a frame that will stand up to twice what you think it needs to. I have a buddy that bought an inexpensive frame for his Kenai Drifter and two years later he replaced it with an NRS frame. He bought the parts in the size he wanted and put it together. I did kind of the same thing but started with a used frame that I had to shorten the cross bars on and replaced the side rails with longer ones. I don't think the NRS knuckles can be beat.
    Thom