Thread: HELP! Outboard Jet Unit Repair Question

Default HELP! Outboard Jet Unit Repair Question

Well my adventures this year have ultimately resulted in the shoe/grate and directional control gate on my Yamaha 80 Jet being damaged. I've fixed the shoe but don't know how to get the water directional control gate off the Jet Unit. For the sake of calling the part the wrong name; I provide to you this...it's the part that makes you go in reverse/neutral and folds down when going forward. It controls the water exhaust direction when exiting the jet unit.

Anyway, after inspecting the boat and motor I found a good crack on this part and I want to take it off and weld it back-up. I've got the control cable disconnected and the screws holding the (what appears to be) press fit pins in-place out already. If anybody has the knowledge they'd like to share with me on how to go about doing this, It'd be much appreciated.

Tony

Wow! I fully expected at least one response to my dilemma. I guess everybody is either out moose hunting or glad I'm off the water and that there's one less boater out there to worry about. I'd even take a reference on where to take it to get repaired/removed as a kind jesture. If you are all out there moose hunting, best of luck and i hope yto see your pics on the Hunting forum.

Default pins might be stuck

Nope, not out hunting yet. Soon though. 2 pins stick out either side as pivot points for the "reverse gate". Sounds like you already took off the 2 bolts in the bottom that hold them in place.
    Sometimes they get a bit corroded or stuck form silt. Grab them with a pair of pliers and turn them and pull. Should not be hard to come out. Be careful and try not to rough them up, even though they are stainless. There are plastic bushings on each one. Don't lose them. Do inspect them for wear. They are cheap to replace.
    Also look at the pivot holes in the reverse gate for oblong wear. They do get worn and sloppy. It is tough to weld up and get them centered, but can be done. The welder might need to look at the pin for correct sizing. I would ask the welder if he has experience resetting the holes first if that is needed.
    Good luck, hope this helps.

I can't thank you enough for the advice! I will see what I can do to remove it tomorrow. I don't think the reverse gate has oblong holes as there are only 85 hours on the motor, then again if I took a hard enough hit to crack the thing......

Any idea as to what a replacement gate and pins might cost me? Good luck on your hunting adventure this year.

Tony

Default no good deals

I have yet to break one, so never needed to price it. Just grin when they give you the news. I can't imagine you hurt the pins. They are stainless.
    With 85 hours on the unit, I doubt the holes are worn egg shaped. Takes a lot longer than that to wear them out. Once upon a time I used hot melt glue for a quick fix to get me down river. I would not suggest doing that. It was more of a placebo than a cure.
    I would price it though before welding. Most shops are over $85.00/hr, and it might take days to get it repaired. Just a thought, if you had time maybe take a look on e-bay. I have seen some jet parts in the past.

Just thought I'd let you know I got it all fixed at no cost. It's nice to have neighbors that weld for a living! I wrapped the pins with tape then vice gripped them out. Cleaned the pins (corrosion), and the fitting holes. Everything slipped right back together better than new! Ready for the next adventure. Thank you again and I owe you one.

Tony

Whats holding the pins in now? Were they still a "press" fit? If they werent really tight going in you might want to pull them and re-install them with some radial loctite.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Lock tite is not required on the pins because of the way the jet unit is manufactured. Each pin has a recess pocket where the retaining screw enters to prevent it from falling out. You can bet I lock tite'd the retaining screws and every other screw that warranted it when I reassembled everything. It's good to go!

My old motor had pin holes WAY egg shaped. A machinist friend reamed them out( after determining center) and made some teflon bushings.
    Works so slick, I may take the gate off the new Honda and have him do the same.
    As an aside; The Honda mechanic told me that hauling the boat on the highway dauses more wear on this part than anything.
    On the gate there is a spring loaded plunger that rests against the bottom of the bowl when in forward position, to stop vibration. Make sure this plunger is operating freely and always trailer with the control in "forward" This will help prevent "flopping" on the road.