Thread: kodiak Goats

Default kodiak Goats

My hunting partner and I just completed our goat hunt on Kodiak DG477. Wow! What a hunt. We flew with Roland of Sea Hawk Air, canít say enough good things about Roland and his wife. After repairing an oil leak and then waiting out the fog Roland had us loaded and on our way. We picked our area from the air and he put us down mid afternoon. After setting up camp and climbing a small rise to have lunch we set up the spotting scope to look things over. We soon were seeing goats. We decided to get a closer look and headed out. A mile later we were looking at 8 goats, not bad we thought. We moved around to look for some others we had seen earlier but the fog and rain moved in so we headed back to the tent and called it a night. First thing the next morning we headed back the same spot as the night before. We came over a rise and not 50 yards away was a small Billy who let out in a hurry once he saw us. We watched 3 goats for an hour or so, all bedded down and decided to move around the mountain. Soon we came across the small Billy we had spooked earlier. He watched us for a bit then bedded down. We could have taken him at 285 yards but passed. As we circled the mountain we spotted 3 more bedded down about 1200 yards away. After having some lunch and waiting all we could we decided to make a play for them. One was a real hog while the other two were smaller. Soon we were laying 300 yards away from 3 bedded Billies that didnít want to get up for anything. We decided to take them from where we were because it was getting late. My partner fired first getting the Hog (big body and 9 ľ horns) while I took one of the smaller ones (8 ď horns). Day one of our hunt and two Billies are down. We skinned and de boned the goats, packed it all down to the bottom and decided to leave the capes horns and half the meat there, (man those thinks are heavy, pack weight 135lbs) and get back to the tent before dark. The next day we woke to a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky. We took off and made the 1.5 mile hike to the meat and capes in just over an hour, loaded up and were back at camp by 10 am calling Roland for a pickup. He was there in 3 hours wanting to get us out before a big storm that was moving our way hit. We were back in town and at the airport less than 48 hours after being dropped off on our lake. What a great hunt, great weather, great service and great hunting partner and taking our first goats.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats! Man I cant wait, will be heading that way in a little over 2 weeks! Did you guys see any deer?

Default Deer

We didnt see any deer or bears

Default Nice!

Nice goats! I was lucky enough to draw the same tag. Going over in 2 weeks. Was wondering if you would be willing to share a bit of info?

Thumbs up congrats on a great hunt.

I caught one thing you said...the flyover.
    You were able to check things out and animal whereabouts before you started your hunt. It makes all the difference.
    Our rough weather and lack of a flyover cost us our goats, they were simply not even close to our area.

Maybe next time.

But can't over emphasize that part of the goat hunt for you guys heading out...Don't drop off in an area you can't scout! Even if it means waiting for good clear weather to fly over.

Frank

Default fly over

Yes, Roland flew us around the area so we could spot goats and get a feel for the lay of the land. What a difference that makes, good weather is also very helpful

Nice work and thanks for the info. KF

Thumbs up

What was the cost of the fly out?

Congrats on your hunt!