Thread: scope and open sights for 458 LOTT??

Default scope and open sights for 458 LOTT??

I'm having a 458 Lott made up and need to figure out what sights and scope to put on it. Its a winchester 70 Classic action. I was leaning towards the NECG semi adjustable rear and barrel band front site. Or a built in peep with XS sights front post with white line up the center.

As for scope I was leaning towards either a straigth 4x or 2-7 leupold. What do you all think.

TB78, I use them NECG whenever I rebarrel or have a rifle built and find the Masterpiece rear to ideal for quick acquisition. Same goes for the front sight, either the Universal front or a banded. They are just excellent! I am fond of Lymans or Redfield rear aps as well. A .458 Lott would be fitting to have a set of sights that will give the optimum acquisition of sighting in "all" lighting conditions and I believe the rear Masterpiece does just that.

That is some caliber for sure. I am looking to do a 40 over plus bore, maybe even a 550 Express!

best regards,

I just thought of one possible problem. From what I can see the barrel band front sights from NECG don't come in stainless. I think it would look kind of weird with a stainless barrel and blued band. I might have to settle for a screw on front sight with a XS white line post and weaver style back up peep.

I have a stainless 375 H&H that has blued 1/4 rib, barrel band swivel, and band front sight. It looks awesome. I will try to post a pic later.

Bear, look into the talleys with the pop up peep (QD bases) and the NECG front barrel band site.

As for scopes, I would look into a vx3 1.5x5. You definitly cant go wrong with a 2x7, I personally wouldnt go stronger than that.

I bought a 1.5x5 for my lott. to bad I sold the rifle and kept the scope. Now I'm starting to build mself another 458 and I'm gonna go with the above mentioned set-up.

I have the pop up peep on my lightweight 375 H&H with the 1.5-5 VxIII. Its a good setup and I had toyed with the idea of putting it on the 458 Lott too. I like the white line front post that XS sights makes, it is really easy to aim at longer ranges and the low profile weaver style peep looked to be very durable.

Throw away the variables. Put a 1x scope on it if you have-to-have one. I have a 1x Burris one my .500 A-Square and it has lived through over 500 rounds under it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    I'm having a 458 Lott made up and need to figure out what sights and scope to put on it. Its a winchester 70 Classic action. I was leaning towards the NECG semi adjustable rear and barrel band front site. Or a built in peep with XS sights front post with white line up the center.

As for scope I was leaning towards either a straigth 4x or 2-7 leupold. What do you all think.
    I think your choices are almost perfect. For my being built Lott I am going with the fully adjustable rear NECG Masterpiece Sight and there barrel band front. I would avoid the barrel band as the only thing they are good for are looking good. The Lott is a nice caliber and capable of 200-300 yard shots with the right load. Using a tight sling connected to a barrel band can change your point of impact at those ranges enough to cause a miss. If you decide you can not live without the barrel band David Gentry makes one in stainless. For scope I like your choice of the 2x7.
    Good luck with the project.
    Tennessee

I don't have much use for a barrel band sling swivel, I was referring to the barrel band front sight. I think the 2-7 idea gets better and better, maybe one of the Euro leupold 30mm scopes, very nice looking scope.

I have one of the Europeans. It is going on my double rifle as soon as I get the scope mount in place. They are really sweet. Cost about the same also.
    To many people get hung up on tradition. With a 400 grain load the Lott can reach way out there and touch something!
    Tennessee

I was thinking that a 350gr barnes X at 2800fps should reach way out there. The 400gr aframe would be another good one. I wonder how the 350gr Speer hot core would work on moose? Maybe have to tone down the velosity a little bit.

I was talking to a guy today that got me thinking maybe I should just leave that lott naked, no iron sights just a really high quality low power variable. He was really pushing me towards the 1-4 nightforce scope. I will admit that target aquistion at 1x was VERY fast, faster than most iron sights and dailed up to 4x it would do for those occasional 200+ yard shots.

I have always had backup irons on my big bores but rarely ever used them. Any of you leave your big bores naked? Wish you had put sights on it? I can always add them later if I feel like I need them.

As to scopes I have checked out Nightforce 1-4, Leupold VXIII 1.5-5, Leupold VXII 1.25-4 and Euro 1.25-4, Ziess 1.8-5.5 conquest and 1.5-6 classic, Swarovski 1.5-6, and Burris 1.5-6 Euro and 1.75-5 signature safari.

A couple I'd like to check are trijicon 1.25-4 Accupoint, and Meopta and IOR vadala scopes. Whats your guys take on these scopes?

I like the looks and ruggedness of triple bands on stainless.

Barrel band front sight, barrel band rear sight and barrel band sling stud.

I don't see much use for any magnification over 5 on a .458 lott.

The higher the magnification, the closer you need to creep up on it.....not good with a thumper.

1.5-5 would be my max and it would live on 1.5x.....maybe even just a straight 2x or a long eye relief scout type scope.

jedi

Actually bear, I am the opposite. On my Lott I had straight irons also the the same on my 375and the 45/70. So far I havent needed a scope. With my Lott I was good out to about 200yards with irons, granted my eyes are still pretty decent.

Right now I am having a 9.3 being built and its getting peeps and a banded front sight.

I leave the scopes for my 30-06's etc. That being said, I wouldnt feel one bit bad about just throwing a low power good scope on a bigbore and leaving the bbl naked.

I've had scopes on ironed sighted guns with QD's and I have never had to remove the scope and go to irons.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    I was talking to a guy today that got me thinking maybe I should just leave that lott naked, no iron sights just a really high quality low power variable. He was really pushing me towards the 1-4 nightforce scope. I will admit that target aquistion at 1x was VERY fast, faster than most iron sights and dailed up to 4x it would do for those occasional 200+ yard shots.

I have always had backup irons on my big bores but rarely ever used them. Any of you leave your big bores naked? Wish you had put sights on it? I can always add them later if I feel like I need them.
    Iron sights are not necessarily there to have to be used....they are insurance.

Like a spare tire.

What if you slip on the rocks in a strong current and fall full weight on your scope?

Without irons you basically got a hip shooter for the rest of the trip.

jedi

I have also found that no scope in the world is as good as express sights in the rain.

Sometimes my peeps even get drops hanging in them and have to blow on them to keep the peep hole clear.

Had a peep freeze once when hunting in freezing rain.

That kind of rain that coats everything with a layer of ice and breaks all the tree branches from weight.

I don't think anything is as good as express sights in rain at close range and in a hurry.

jedi