Thread: Looking For Item

Default Looking For Item

I am looking for an adapter that will go into a 12 guage or 20 guage that will fire 209 primers. Where you simply load in a new primer each time to shoot. For dog training .
    I use to reload the empty hulls with just the primer. That is getting too old and time consuming. Especially during the summer when I'm loosing hair trying to keep up with the training schedule.
    I do use blank pistols. But I teach the dogs to mark off the gun. Can't do that with a pistol. Shotgun blanks are getting expensive when at certain times all I need is a pop.
    Any ideas or web links would be much appreciated.

I did a little googling and only found one product, but it is on a UK website. http://d249251.u36.ukisp.com/acatalog/Blanks.html

As I have experience in metal fabrication and machining, it seems to me that such an item would be very simple to make. I might have to chuck a bar of aluminum up in the lathe and see what I can make. I'll let you know if something simple can be put together that works.

The item JOAT found chucks a .22 blank cartridge, not a primer. Interesting idea. Probably a bit more noise. We used to use ramset charges in .22 starter pistols also. Can't remember the difference in costs.
    At first glance it seems to be too much of a time hurdle to fool with the chuck and blanks for the shotgun.
    Why not take a black 3' piece of ABS pipe (1/2"?), slide it over the barrel of the starter pistol, clamp it on, and use it like a shotgun? Lots faster to load 6 or 9 shots in a pistol and have more shots available.

We use the primer loads and then reload them during the winter. They are a lot cheaper than the popper loads. $16 for a 100 ea. They are very reliable and cylce through the shotgun well. They are a lot easier on both your ears and the dogs ears. HRC uses them in the hunt tests now since they are so much safer.
    http://www.dogsafield.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R001-252

I agree with Rambling Raven. You spend a fair amount on the primer load shells at first, but after that, they are simple and quick to reload. It's only a few bucks for about 100 .209 primers too. It also gives the dogs a chance to get used to being around and associating the sound with a shotgun versus a 22 pistol.....Also i wouldn't advise using those primers on a gun you prize. They dirty up the gun pretty bad so i just use them with my old Mossberg. (Can't hurt that thing if i tried).

Found em.
    Here is what I was looking for.
    Thanks for all your help.
    http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Blan...r-Inserts.html

As far as HRC hunt test training I use empty shotgun hulls reloaded with just the primer. I fold the extruded end back inside the shell. I use a pump gun when doing multiple marks and a single shot when doing singles. My time is getting more valuable to me for kennel work and training so reloading is starting to be a pain. I may get a case of those primer reloads when I travel out for training in a couple of weeks.

Most of the training I do is for AKC test so the gunners are in the field. These adapters are great as long as the distance isn't too great. The quieter pop allows the learning dog to focus more on the gunner and the mark. Plus it helps me teach dogs to heel with me to face the next bird instead of head swinging at the sound of the gun (loud poppers)(which may be bouncing off terrain and tree lines) . Gun echos really distract a learning dog from the mark.
    All gundogs need to mark from the gun. I have no argument about that. But to get your retriever ready for AKC they need to mark from guns in the field.
    Boy, sounds like a need for another post. LOL

Do you have one of these in your possession yet? I'm curious because I was fiddling around with building a similar item from aluminum following your first post on this thread and found a bit of a trick with installing and removing the primers. If you make the hole tight enough to firmly hold the primer, then you have a problem getting the fired primer out without tools (a punch from the other side will do it, but it is still another piece you would have to carry with you). If you make the hole loose enough to easily remove the fired primer, then it is a bit too loose for a new primer which can fall out while handling it, especially if you're dropping it into a pump action instead of a break action. I was just wondering how these guys went about addressing that issue.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Wetland Retrievers View Post
    Found em.
    Here is what I was looking for.
    Thanks for all your help.
    http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Blan...r-Inserts.html

As far as HRC hunt test training I use empty shotgun hulls reloaded with just the primer. I fold the extruded end back inside the shell. I use a pump gun when doing multiple marks and a single shot when doing singles. My time is getting more valuable to me for kennel work and training so reloading is starting to be a pain. I may get a case of those primer reloads when I travel out for training in a couple of weeks.

Most of the training I do is for AKC test so the gunners are in the field. These adapters are great as long as the distance isn't too great. The quieter pop allows the learning dog to focus more on the gunner and the mark. Plus it helps me teach dogs to heel with me to face the next bird instead of head swinging at the sound of the gun (loud poppers)(which may be bouncing off terrain and tree lines) . Gun echos really distract a learning dog from the mark.
    All gundogs need to mark from the gun. I have no argument about that. But to get your retriever ready for AKC they need to mark from guns in the field.
    Boy, sounds like a need for another post. LOL
    I taught my daughters to run the press and reload the primers and the child labor isn't too spendy yet so that goes well.

I agree on the training for AKC guns in the field but that is also one of the reasons I prefer the HRC hunt test program. I also like the bumperboy launchers for training and they have the sound as well.

Spendy? yes. Get the job done? Yes! http://www.meachamrifles.com/
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson