Thread: Heading to Cordova for Silvers next week

Talking Heading to Cordova for Silvers next week

We are heading to Cordova for some Silver Salmon fishing late next week for 6 days of fun. Any last minute advice or fishing updates from you guys before we leave? Thanks for all the tips in your postings so far. We are really looking forward to visiting Alaska again.

We fished the Eyak River from a skiff over the holiday weekend, but it was *very* low, but managed to get about 2 miles downstream and hit a few holes. There were quite a few silvers holding in them....limited out in a couple hours drifting eggs. Be forewarned though...there are a TON of dollies that will pick your hook clean of any bait you put on it. Some of these dollies were between 2-3 pound each! If you do use bait, put some weight on the line so you can get it down to the bottom fast.

Bernie,

PM me! I just got back home from 11 days in Cordova. I will try to answer any questions you have.

John

Try tying your egg clusters in mylene netting to prevent the dollies from stealing your bait.

Default CDV

Fished Ibeck Creek this past weekend.....the rain caused most of the area streams to swell and brought the visibility down to ZERO!

Word on the street is that the creek at the end of the airport runway (not sure of the name) was the hot ticket--even despite the rain. Apparently, people were slaying the silvers down there! This is what several of the airport staff were reporting.

May give it another shot this weekend.

Default CDV fishing

JJ,

Thanks for the recent update. I really do appreciate your info. Any decent sizes on the silvers yet? We will arrive in CDV on 09-13 and begin fishing on 09-14. If you see a couple that is smiling from ear to ear, enjoying all that Alaska has to offer, YES, even the RAIN, that just might be us. Middle aged, average height and weight, both of us wear glasses and if it's raining we'll have on our waders and HH Impertech jackets...that should be enough to make us stand out from the crowd--Ha ha!

Are they still hitting the bait or are lures working? I usually have good luck on the larger size (#4,5 & 6) of Blue Fox Vibrax spinners in various colors. Also remember an area where I fished in 2003 in late Sept/early Oct. when the water was really high and dirty, but managed to find a little back water area that was pretty clear off a fast flowing dirty stream where I had great luck. The challenge was avoiding the brown bears on my walks to and from that spot.

Is it worth trying out the spit near town? I have had some luck there in the past when the tide was coming in. Kinda comical watching some of the others fishing there.

We'll be out over the weekend too, so just might run into you somewhere along the trail. I'd enjoy that. According to the solunar charts, Sunday evening should be GREAT fishing. Not sure what we will be driving as we will be in rental vehicle. Good luck to you with your fishing.

Thanks again,
    Bernie P.