Thread: Upper Kenai Update 09/05

Default Upper Kenai Update 09/05

Anybody fished the Upper recently? I fished all three days of Labor Day weekend and did really well. Would be nice to have a daily report... what's working etc. I'm going to head up for a short float tonight when I get off work. We had really good success with 6mm beads, orange and red, lightly painted, but I have also heard that 8 and 10mm beads are doing the trick as well. Also, any stories of any toads being caught? I had a whopper on for about 15 minutes and it worked the hook loose - never could tell if it was a big dolly or rainbow, but it shook its head vigorously and put on some sweet runs. We got some nice dollies and 'bows in the lower-mid 20 inch range and a plethora of dinks. Good times, and don't be shy... I'm a trout bum myself and know how others like me prefer to keep secrets.

I fished from the bridge down to Jim’s over the weekend and hook a King below the Princess Lodge, fought it for around 15 minutes on ten pound test thought it was a big silver but when it came to the boat everyone’s face had that surprised look (what the ). The King was blush in cooler but far from red around 35 pounds. 8mm flat orange with just a tad bit of white marble worked well on the bows and dollies.

My wife and I fished sportsmans to jims all weekend. We did not do well saturday untill we hit the bead right of course. It was a fresh looking 6m red egg after all those reds laying in the river. We also did not do well untill we passed windy corner but after that on saturday and sunday we had a hell of a time. Big dolly's and bow's and just all around fun. Of course ill be there all weekend again and the next weekend and the last week of september is all mine on the kenai. The fish will be dieing and the eggs will be changing as the days go by too and the water is dropping quick. Anyway just my thoughts and experience this weekend
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Chuck and fishook ~ thanks for the insight! I'll be hitting the upper this afternoon as well as tomorrow and will hopefully find the right beads. I used light red and tangerine 6mm beads last weekend with substantial success. I talked with one of the friendly folks at Troutfitters a few days ago and he stated that 8 mils were successful.

Hopefully we'll see you up there this weekend!

There is a few toads being caught 12mil beads work well also!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice fish! I used 12 mils a week or two back and they didn't fare well, but a guy could've been using the wrong color. Nice showing!!!

Streamborn - did you hit those fatties on the Upper Upper or in the sanctuary?

Refuge! Above Jims in the dolly photo.

golf balls (12 mil beadas) work pretty good in the early season...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.