Thread: Caribou on the haul road

Smile Caribou on the haul road

Headin' up to the haul road Oct 6 for some Boo. Anybody know if the herd is close to the road?

Sometimes they will be and others times you won't see one. One thing I can tell you is the bulls will be in rut... Pass on the bull shoot a cow. The meat will taste like urine.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Caribou on the road

I was up there this weekend. There were a lot of animals in small groups in the northern foothills of the Brooks. October 6 is a long way out, though. If there are caribou up there then, I don't think they'll be the same ones. Good luck to you. I hope you can bag one or two.

I got a bull this weekend with a rifle. Had to hike the 5 miles out. It wasn't as bad as some people had said, but I was still in the mountains, so half of the trail was good, rocky terrain. Has anyone ever skied in in October or early November? I'm an avid back-country skier. If there are 8-12" of snow on the ground, I could cover 5 miles with a heavy pack in about an hour and a half, no problem. I'm thinking of heading back up late in the fall or maybe early next spring. Do the bulls still taste bad in March?

Anybody else a skier? I could use a partner... Still loose planning; nothing in stone yet.

Default 15 sept trip

never been b4 but im heading up on 15 sept. any suggestions of what mile marker to park at b4 the 5 mile hike? also whats the scoop on 243 for boo? im thinking of going in light.

Default Choose carefully

The advice I was given, which I followed, and which proved successful, was to not hold yourself to a specific spot, but to look for caribou and go off the road where you see them. Right as you start to come out of the mountains, there are some good high places where you can pull over and carefully glass with binoculars or scope. We even climbed up a ridge to get a few hundred feet above the plain. I would recommend going up the road until you see some animals. You will also see other hunters. Ask them if they've been further up and what they've seen. Maybe they've seen animals, or maybe they've seen hunters camped next to the road with fresh antlers, etc. Choose your spot carefully. Of course, if you plan to camp at the road and go the 5 miles everyday, this is not as critical. Anyway, we hit it well between Galbraith Lake and Toolik Lake, I'm guessing miles 290 and 310, or something like that.

Are you also asking if a .243 is enough gun for a caribou? I think that's a touch light. What bullet weight does that come in? 100 grain, something like that? That's more of a varmint gun. I think a .270 would do the job. I found a 30-06, 165 grain to be effective. I don't know. .243 sounds too light.

Your .243 is fine for caribou as long as you are using a good bullet,have good shot placement and keep your shots within 200-250 yards. The .243 has been used on 1000's of deer and other medium sized animals all over the world for 50 years.Good luck with your trip, I did it last year but with my bow. Took a nice bull at 54 yards about 40 miles south of Deadhorse.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Could work...

Just heard from my boss that a fellow hunter dropped a moose one year with a .243, so it can be done. Still, if you run into a rib, you may not blow right through it, or, if you do, it will slow your bullet down a lot more. A 'bou with a punctured lung can run a lot further than a 'bou with an obliterated lung. Hate to wound an animal, and they can make ground on the tussocks a lot better than we can. I'd still recommend a larger caliber.

-gr

Default rank meat

Yes, the bulls will be in run and the meat will be unedible by anyone's standards. Someone I know shot a rutting bull a few years back and the meat was so bad he bought a pig to mix in with it. It was still bad and he still couldn't eat it.

Default The Rut in March?

If I go up in March, I'm thinking of skiing in. Will there be snow? Will the bulls still be rutting? I wouldn't think so.

i may be down for a march ski. pm me

Default Caribou Lifecycle

I am a big fan of respecting the fish and game I target by learning it's lifecycle -- it is also a practical thing. Read up a bit on the caribou you will be killing: http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...me/caribou.php

The rut will be long gone by March.