Thread: Anyone Like .375 Weatherby?

Default Anyone Like .375 Weatherby?

Did a search on here and didn't see any threads dedicated to this fine round. I had my ZKK-602 375 H&H rechambered by Frank Wells to .375 Weatherby three months before Weatherby decided to bring it back. I thought I'd have something unusual. Oh well.

Believe it or not, on another forum I cannot list, a fellow posted he had two original boxes (the Tiger), of Weatherby ammo, and about 50 cases. Turns out he lived in Anchorage AK and I was in Fairbanks! Wonder what the mathematical probability of that happening is? But I bought both boxes and the cases for $45 in 2001. Haven't shot one yet as I know the original cartridge is worth more than that. I need to get my pressure transducer glued to my ZKK's barrel so I can compare the original pressure to my reloads.

So who has one? Pix? Loads? Anyone?

Thumbs up Had an FN Mauser Weatherby 375...

....once upon a time, made back before they made the 378 smasher. Don't even remember where it went, but it's gone.

I have always liked its ballistics. A step up from the H&H in its ability to reach out yonder and hits a little harder, too. I think I've always had an aversion to the Weatherby shoulder, for no particular reason, and the belts, but I believe it is my favorite Weatherby caliber. I have the same ballistics now in an improved H&H. (which is what the Weatherby is) My present rifle is such a nice rifle built on a pre-64 action that I want to keep it, but I have considered rechambering an old Sako H&H to 375 Wby, since I have an extra.

Speaking of its ballistics, the 375 Ruger will duplicate it in a beltless case, but that is just a Ruger and an over the counter caliber. Some times something different is just better.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Well I glued on a transducer only to measure it and find it just a tad crooked, by about 0.001". I couldn't stand that so I ripped it off ($25 bucks down the drain), and glued another on, this one is perfectly straight. Kewl.

Now I can pressure test my 235 grain fireforming loads and then begin some development for the 265 grain GS Custom bullets I bought.

I started to go the .375 Wtby route last year but ended up going with the .375 RUM... I have a set of dies for the Wtby though just in case!

- Clint

Initially, I just wanted to have something no-one else would have, and also the interchangeability of the .375 H&H to .375 Weatherby was a plus. After looking at 2900 fps for the RUM, I shudder to think how that would feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Initially, I just wanted to have something no-one else would have, and also the interchangeability of the .375 H&H to .375 Weatherby was a plus. After looking at 2900 fps for the RUM, I shudder to think how that would feel.
    I put 26 rounds through it on Friday.... It kicks!

- Clint

Default .375 Weatherby

I, too, bought the .375Rum......very versatile.......easily handle the 350-360 grain .375 bullets without powder compaction......I load mine to .375 Weatherby specs and it's very easy to shoot......there's a bit of .375 info in the "Any Shot You Want," A-Square handloading and rifle manual......good piece on the Weatherby by Craig Boddington in there.....the .375 Weatherby was the caliber of choice of famous Alaskan guide, Hal Waugh.......his .375 Weatherby, "Big Nan," is now the property, if I recall correctly, of the U. of Alaska, Fairbanks.

Joe
    Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ovis View Post
    I, too, bought the .375Rum......very versatile.......easily handle the 350-360 grain .375 bullets without powder compaction......I load mine to .375 Weatherby specs and it's very easy to shoot......there's a bit of .375 info in the "Any Shot You Want," A-Square handloading and rifle manual......good piece on the Weatherby by Craig Boddington in there.....the .375 Weatherby was the caliber of choice of famous Alaskan guide, Hal Waugh.......his .375 Weatherby, "Big Nan," is now the property, if I recall correctly, of the U. of Alaska, Fairbanks.

Joe
    Got any load data using IMR4350 and a 300 gr Barnes TSX? I am unable to locate a minimum load, but I have access to some IMR4350 and wanted to try it!

- Clint

I can scan the pages of the book and email them to you. Oops, I see your request is for the RUM.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I can scan the pages of the book and email them to you. Oops, I see your request is for the RUM.
    Yeah I noticed last night that the Wtby and the RUM are really close, I wonder if I could reduce the minimum on the Wtby by 10% and work up from there.....

- Clint