Thread: PWS Deer

Default PWS Deer

Is everyone waiting on the weather (snow) to go or has anyone gone yet? I went in Nov last year but I was thinking about waiting untill Dec this year.

I've been wanting to go out, but haven't been able to find the time. We did an armed hike on one of the closer islands, but didn't see any sign and didn't get high enough to glass.

Default Hunting is good.

The locals have been getting a lot of deer this year. Last year's winter doesn't seem to have harmed the herd much. Lot's of spikes and small forkies. I've seen a couple ral nice sized bucks for the Sound too.

Lot's of moose showing up in town too.

How many people are waiting tell the snow hit the mountains to force them down to the beach?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Whats the latest any of you hunt PWS?

Default deer

Personally, I like my deer with some fat on them so I prefer to hunt before the rut. My buddy from Eagle River is coming down and we're hunting the first week in Oct. That is my big hunt for the year.

The waiting for snow thing is overblown. The secret is, these deer come to the beach year round if you just want to beach hunt. While we'll put a gang together to fill out our tags late in the year to top off the freezer in an efficient manner, (with the price of gas over $4.00 a gallon here, it makes economical sense) but most of us prefer getting up in the mountains to hunt deer. And many of us get into the woods even after the snow has come. Last year six of us hunted together for four days after the snow was knee deep. Five deer were taken on the beach and fifteen were taken in the woods, including all the big bucks.

I'm looking to head out the last week in Oct.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default 2 boats cover more area than 1

If anyone is going out in Oct and would like the security/convienence of having another boat with them, PM me. I would like to follow out and return with another boat in case of problems. I dont care which island. This is the first year I have owned a boat worthy of this kind of trip. I own a fiberglass boat so beaching is a no go but I will have my zodiak for beach assults. I am flexible on the dates and locations and dont mind lending a hand.

Kammer
    22' Seasport

Me and a couple of buddies went out over Labor Day weekend and only saw a couple does no bucks. We hit the mountains and climbed high but not a lot of sign or activity. I'm hoping to make a trip in Oct and/or Nov.