Thread: Drawing permit DC001

Default Drawing permit DC001

Has anyone gone yet? Anyone scored?

Wondering the same thing. There was a post a couple of weeks ago where a person or two had stated they were heading in. I'm sure we'll get a report soon (hopefully a good one). I checked out a few trail over the weekend to see which one I wanted to use to head in at the end of the month. Saturday my fiance and I mt. biked 7 miles in from Hope on the Resurrection Trail to the Caribou cabin, trail was very easy and in great shape. Sunday we backpacked up the Summit Creek Trail and spent the night just below the lake on East Creek. Of course this trail is tougher than Resurrection but was still fairly easy and also in great shape. Didn't see any caribou in East Creek, but did see 16 ewes and lambs on the hike. I think I'm going to mt. bike in from Hope when I go in.

Wish I was sitting in the mountains today, but I guess I'll settle for a short float for rainbow tonight on the Kenai.

Mountian bike was what I was thinking too from the ressurection trail. It's going to be a while before I can do it with work and vacations but maybe a month is my plan. If you make it out give a report back

A friend of mine was in there last week. All I can report to you is he says they walked about 60 miles total, saw 18 bulls, no cows but didn't shoot since they were all on the smaller side. Can't tell you anything else. I would have shot the smaller bull, easier to pack out.

Wow, I don't think I'll make 60 miles but I plan on doing some walking. My plan is to get up high, wake up the first morning and glass for a couple hours around camp, then pack up camp and start walking, stop to glass 20-30 minutes, then walk, glass another 20-30, then walk. I probably won't pack up camp everyday but I'm hoping that if I do this for 4-5 days I will find something.

This topic deserves a big BUMP....Just got done putting my pack together for this hunt starting the last week of september!!!My pack comes right in at 40lbs so I think I did alright.Any more reports good or bad?????Ill (me and my partner)be giving my best shot at being successfull as I have 10 days to succeed and am willing to go as far and hard as needed.Being totally honest.....If I am not successful in taking an animal I am so sure I will still have had a hell of an adventure!I love the fact that I can at least put the miles on my feet as I am 38 years old and how many more years do I have to do this???We never know but I would guess no more than 15-20 tops.I have heard many complain about the success rate of this hunt and do understand thier complaint,but I plan on taking it all in (camera and memory)and adding one more adventure to my 38 years of experiencing Alaska!Ive waited a long time for success in this drawing and even without harvesting an animal I WILL return with a smile.I enjoy reading Brian M.s posts as he seems to look at his experiences the same way I do.....successful or not look at the Accomplishment.I will post regardless of the outcome of the hunt,I already see it as a success!CANT WAIT!

Has anyone looked in to getting dropped off by an air taxi service and if so who?

I made an attempt at going a couple of weeks ago by mountain bike, but had some mechanical problems and the satellite phone I rented quit working. At this point I felt I should bag the trip and try again later since i was hunting alone. I did see a lot of fresh black bear tracks. Has anyone gone up there by snowmachine in December? The trail opens Dec. 1st and the permit is good through Dec. 31st. Just a thought, but they're probably gone from the area by then.

Quote Originally Posted by somewebguy View Post
    The trail opens Dec. 1st and the permit is good through Dec. 31st. Just a thought, but they're probably gone from the area by then.
    Technically, the trail may open up as early as Dec. 1st, but that is dependant on adequate snowfall and Forest Service approval. I haven't seen it open until January in many, many years. I had that same thought one time that I had that permit, but they never opened it up in December. There are still caribou in those mountains during the winter (they don't really migrate), but don't count on the trail being opened up.

Just thought i would bump this one back up and see if anyone has gone out and got one. I'm going to go for it on the 17th hopefully.