Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow getting banged up...

Default Bow getting banged up...

Pretty aweful out in the bush when I am hunting, I am also loosing arrows in the willows, especially nocks are getting busted off...what can I do to minimize the rough shape my bow gets out in the thick brush moose love to hide in?

Default Primos

I was watching Primos, Truth About Hunting, last night and they had a bow sling that covered the cables, string and cams of the bow. You might take a look at it. I will be looking at it latter on.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Primos Bow sling

I have one of the Primos slings, which works really well in pretty open country. If you carry your bow slung over your back in the brush though, the bushes tend to strip arrows out of your quiver.
    The cure is mostly to be more careful with the bow, and keep it in your hand so you don't bang it all up.

Default Yeah...

I am holding it in my hands, but the trick is going where the moose are, & the brush is so thick that you can't even see 3' in front of you sometimes, in particular the 10'+ willos along the sandbars...I will look into the Primos bowsling...

Primos slings or a back pack that will carry your bow.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If you get a backpack which carries your bow, be sure some sort of flap covers the arrows in your quiver, or the bushes will pry the arrows out of your quiver-
    I lost all my arrows the first time I went up after a black bear in Prince Williams Sound-
    It was very disheartening, not to mention expensive :{

Now I use one of those blue rubber bands (which come on broccoli at the market) to hold the arrows into the quiver below-

The cat quiver is nice and protects the arrows.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default sling

I also have a Primos sling and it works fairly well and its comfortable for long distance walks. Can be a pain if you need your bow out and ready quickly. Also it doesn't cover the quiver so I too have had my arrows ripped out by thick brush.

Default Ok, lets try to put this all together...

I would be able to buy a Cat Quiver & put my arrows & gear in the back portion of the quiver, & still be able to wear a treestand harness, or just remove the backpack/quiver, & don the harness when I want to climb a tree (albeit, I'd have to carry either the back pack & quiver, & wear the treestand or visa versa).

Now, with this bow sling, for tree stand hunting, I wouldn't need a string to hoist up my bow & with the cat quiver I wouldn't need to hoist it up either, I'd just wear it, right?

I would still use a rope to hoist my bow and gear up to a tree stand. Not a real good idea to have anything on your back while climbing in case you fall.

i just use a longbow and a back quiver. Problem solved!

Default For compound bows, a tough problem...

Thick willows, alders or whatever make it a tough problem.

I've seen a light backpack, the Crooked Horn Outfitters Trailblazer II (http://crookedhorn.com/cms_ver_03/sh...category_id=15) that would secure a bow/arrows/broad heads, leaving both hands free for most of a long stalk, but only is fairly open terrain - it doesn't look like it would help much in thick cover.

Unless the pack enclosed the bow, cables and arrows completely, it seems there's just too much exposed to avoid damage to the bow-arrow working parts. Is there such a pack?

I'm findin' out that the primos sling isn't a "quick" detach... "Oh, there's a moose!" (quickly undoes both rubber holders on each end, & unsnaps sling, pulls arrow out, nocks draws to find moose has fled, laughin' away at me...)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Pretty aweful out in the bush when I am hunting, I am also loosing arrows in the willows, especially nocks are getting busted off...what can I do to minimize the rough shape my bow gets out in the thick brush moose love to hide in?

uhmmm.. NOT go into the brush and call them out... or shoot them on the edge of it... then there is the hole learn how to walk with a bow thing....

sorry marv... had to..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    I'm findin' out that the primos sling isn't a "quick" detach... "Oh, there's a moose!" (quickly undoes both rubber holders on each end, & unsnaps sling, pulls arrow out, nocks draws to find moose has fled, laughin' away at me...)
    'course you still have to nock an arrow, but my bow comes out of my sling pretty quickly. I just have a very basic sling that I love; its nothing more than one well made strap. strappy loops top and bottom and just long enough to wear over shoulder and not so long that it hangs too low. Frees up your hands for climbing or glassing or such.

Also, I would never climb up to my treestand with anything on me; I use two parachute cords. One for my weapon and one for my gear, which includes a camo bag full o stuff that clips onto my stand; I can stay up there all day long and even sleep or change my clothes in it. (Tree Lounge brand)

I've never used one of those hokey slings, never will. The idea of hunting and having your bow in a sling that you can't get to it quickly defeats the purpose of being ready. I grew up bowhunting and hunting in the rainforests of Oregon it just doesn't get much thicker. Try not carrying your bow in front of you when plowing through brush. Hold it behind you while you're passing through stuff. Move slower and pick your way through stuff. Your bow is not a brush whacker, it's piece of precision equipment, treat it like one. There's no reason for your bow to get beat up while hunting thick brush. Before slings, what did people use?

Badlands 2800...works like a dream..

Mossyhorn, I could easily stay in the boat, & do driveby's, like so many do, & I see exactly why they stay in the boat & do such things...You'll have yerself a mile or two long stretch of lil' yearling willow browse, & right smackdab in the middle of that mile long stretch of willow, you'll have yerself a nice patch of 30-40 yd thick yearlings, to the shortest distance to a nice moose hallow/meadow...now, the yearlin' shoots of willow are 'bout 6'-10' stright up, & within INCHES of each other...makes it very hard to walk through, even with the bow behind you, how many times I've had carried that way, & lost arrows...

Try holding your bow above your head? If you're loosing arrows out of the quiver, make sure they are held in there really tight. Maybe a better quiver? You could also get a cover for the ends of your arrows to save nocks. It's like a bag with a draw string. I have no other suggestions other than try and find a moose trail through that crap.

I use a sling and it's quick to get to the ready. Bowhunting isn't a quickdraw sport anyway. Today I traveled through some serious brush with my bow in hand. No lost knocks, no other damage. I use a Fuse Katana quiver and it holds the arrows super tight. The bow took a beating today after I got the wheeler stuck on the way out. Might make some of you cringe, but I just washed it off with a hose when I got home..
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast