Thread: Dogs and snow machines

Default Dogs and snow machines

Anybody have a good way to transport dogs via snow machine? I have a Tundra and have been devising a way to take my two German Shorthair Pointers out this winter. It needs to reasonably warm because they don't handle the cold too well unless they are running and then they are fine. I am thinking about building a box big enough for the both of them on a cargo sled and stuffing it with straw. Any ideas?

I have always let mine run, keeps them warm. But I only have to go about 10 miles. Plus I'm going over rivers and lakes, would hate to break through the ice with a dog trapped in a crate.

Or you can carry one of them on the seat in front of you, pretty easy to carry even a large dog. Put an old blanket on the seat so their nails don't rip it. Could be tippy on a Tundra though.

I know a few people who pull them in a crate in their sled. Need to go slow though, can get pretty rough back there.

I think a crate in the sled with some old blankets or straw would be fine.

How far are you going with them? Somewhere to warm up once you get there?

Wasilla, AK

Default My German

My German Shorthair usually loves to run along the machine but...when we are going long distances I strap a laundry basket onto the back of the machine and put a blanket in it. He settles right in and enjoys the ride.

Good luck,

Default Bigfisherman

I have a 50 lb black lab sne run with me most of the year, in the winter she run ahead of me when we are on pqcked trails. When she get in power she climbs up in front of me or behinds until we hit packed trails again. She rides in the rear basket of my supper why. In the summer she just runs until she tried the climbs on board by four wheeler for a while.

Soldotna, ALASKA since '78

While I haven't transported or see anyone transport dogs by snowmachine for any significant distance, I can think of some considerations right off. I did teach my aussie/lab to ride with me on the seat, basically in my lap, facing forward while I drove slowly around the neighborhood. I used my arms to trap him so he couldn't jump off. The downside was that I could no longer take off alone from the house by snowmachine without him going nuts. I never took him for more than about a 1/2 mile ride though.

Anyhow, If you're looking at a sled, I would seriously consider a couple points. One, a rigid sled (no suspension) would be extremely hard on anyone (man or beast) riding back there. So I would consider a suspension sled to be mandatory. Second, if these dogs don't like the cold, then you'll have to make sure they are well-protected from the elements as just sitting in a sled with the wind blowing on you will freeze your behind off. I doubt that sitting on top of straw or blanket will help that at all and you'll be looking at frostbite and eye injuries in no time blazing down the trail.

So, you might look and see if you can find a used Cat Carrier around. That is the Arctic Cat manufactured, fully enclosed sled with suspension and windows that is intended for people to ride in. Add a bunch more cushioning and insulation to the floor and a couple dogs should do OK in there as long as they get out to work up some heat periodically.

Short of that, you might look at copying the concept. Get a fully suspended sled (there are several available on the market, and from local fabricators). Then build a fully enclosed topper for it. I would suggest using lightweight construction with aluminum siding backed by some light framing. Put some foam insulation on the walls and roof and a very thick floor padding with at least minimal wall padding to prevent injuries. Provide some good bedding for insulation. Cover the front with a plexiglass window so they can see you out the front. And don't forget some small inlet vents high up on the front side with opposing outlet vents to the back. You don't want that box to slowly fill up with engine exhaust and CO during your trip.

Sounds like a lot of work, but that's what I would do for my dogs.

Last winter i transported my golden retriever 40 miles on the Denali highway in a large enclosed cargo sled. The spot that he was in was pretty tight, enough room for him but not enough for him to move around. We put straw in it and i think some old blankets too. I didn't hear any complaints from him along the way and he seemed quite happy when we were done. I would do it that way again, though maybe put some foam down first if i was worried about bumps. While i think the idea of a large suspension sled would be nice I don't know how practical it would be. Also I have seen two dogs go into crates built for one and get transported on a sled. They keep warmer that way and there is less danger of injury than if they were in a large crate by themselves.

Just but my dog transporter sled on Craig's list ,RV section .
    works great .We do about 8o mile trips in to back country with pups .

Just saw this on CL today. Check it out.

sled sold . thanks