Thread: Island Point Lodge - Our Trip

Post Island Point Lodge - Our Trip

Been asked several times about our experience at the lodge. It was great and I will be going back in 2009. Here is a quick breakdown of our trip, well as quick as it could be . I am trying to squeeze this in so not much time to proof it so i hope it came out ok, I will edit later if i made large errors. Well here it is and thanks again to all the people on this great forum that help me prepare for this trip over the last few weeks.

Day 1: Welcome to Petersburg!

The lodge staff met us at the airport to pick us up. They were very helpful with packing our luggage into the trailer. Don is a great guy and immediately started helping us out with tips for the upcoming week. We stopped in downtown Petersburg for a quick lunch and to pick up any necessary fishing tackle and snacks for the week. I recommend picking up your hooks here. If you need these items they will cost you more. Most items can be bought by deposit at the lodge meaning if you still have it at the end of the week you will get your money back; this is only true for hooks that are still in original sealed packages. They then bring us to the local store for any beer and alcohol needs, they do not sell these on location so you do want to buy what you think you will need. You do have a fridge in each cabin so feel free to stock it up. If you forget something not to worry, they will pick you up anything you need in town since they go daily. After you are sent by boat from the pier to the lodge you will be setup with your cabin, orientation and receive boat assignments. This was all very straight forward, be sure to bring a credit card! If you want a boat and you will, credit card is required.

Day 2-5: Fishing, fishing and more fishing.

(This is a true lodge for the experienced, but they will help you if you’re not)
    The days start just about the same. We would get up between 5 and 6 in the morning and get everything ready and loaded onto the boat. Don’t forget to make your lunch, this is the one meal you are responsible to make and pack even though they provide it, you make it! Breakfast was always ready at 7am sharp so you could count on being out on the boat shortly after that. If you chose they offered dry cereals and toast if you wanted to get an earlier start. Most days got pretty foggy so if you do venture out bring a compass and lots of hope. Fog was thick once you headed away from the lodge.
    There are quite a few places to go so don’t be shy and ask around where people at the lodge are hitting. When it gets closer we can compare places you had luck last time and I will let you know if they were hitting when we were there. The salmon fishing was tough for us during this week. They hadn’t received much rain and the simply were not running. There are many places to salmon fish so this will just have to do with what is available when you go. But if it doesn’t work out there were plenty of Halibut and many were 40# and up. Several people that week pulled 100# and up. The dog fish were tough but if you can put up with them we were pulling about 4-5 dogfish per 1 halibut at times. Oh yeah and the occasional sting ray! If you decide to go fishing in the rivers and want to go to the Blind Slough then talk to Frank or Tom. They will set you up with the van across the narrows since it is best to enter from Tsongas entrance down the road. Hot dinner was served around 7pm every day and was excellent. They have incredible food and don’t be shy to ask for a recipe, they really are great especially the seafood chowder. You will want to talk with Lori about your fish when you get back to the lodge. He is the fish cutter and he does a great job, tell him Brian says hi! He really is an ace on the cutting board which is a great person to have available. All fish is wrapped by the group who caught it so be prepared to take a few minutes each night to wrap your freshly cut fish! Don’t be shy to bring a vacuum sealer if you own one, next time I will bring one.

Charters are available but you will do just as good or better on your own if you put the time in learning the area. Next time we know where to go and we definitely didn’t need to go much further then 20 – 30 minutes out for good Halibut.

Day 6: Good bye Petersburg.

We are packed and ready for return. They pack all our stuff onto the skiffs and drive it to the dock on the other side for packing into the trailer for our return trip. First stop are the freezers on the other side. Ok so this is where things got the most complicated. For us it was 29 people looking for there fish, weighing it to ensure meet weight requirements for airlines etc. For us we needed to go to town, Tonka Seafood, for fish boxes. These worked out well because we didn’t need to lug coolers through the airport and if we didn’t need them lug them back empty through the return flights. They say they will do their best to get you some time to shop for souvenirs which is pretty important for the wife or kids if you have them. We didn’t get much time because the process for picking up the fish was pretty painful at the freezer. If you are doing well fishing borrow there van late afternoon or take the boat to downtown and take an hour for sweatshirt or knick knacks. You will be glad you did when you are running to make that plane and cant. Otherwise shopping in the Juneau airport is an option but be prepared that there isn’t much available.

Staff went above and beyond. I give a extra special thank you to all of them.
    That was our trip. I would be happy to answer and further questions!

Very nice report. It sounds like you had a great time there.

Default What Dates

Hey Brian, What day did you fly into P-town? I sat by some guys on the plane from Boston heading to the lodge on Aug 24?

Default RE: Dates in Ptown

We flew to seatle on the 17th and from seattle to ptown on the 18th. then returned on 8/24 to Juneau, seattle and then home. If it was us then you probably saw many sox hats!

Default Island Point

Your report is good info. we have reservations for next July. We have not been there before so I do not know any thing about the area. The 22 mins. direction for Halibut was what direction. Does any one have some coordinates that would help locate some fish and not get lost.
    Any other info. would help. Thanks in advance.

Default private message

klabrd...i sent you a pm