Thread: Where oh where is the 41 mag?

Default Where oh where is the 41 mag?

I know some folks really like this odd ball caliber. Sort of an in-betweener, twix the 357 and the ever popular 44, but isn't this still a useful and very versatile round? Ya' know if we had a 400 Whelen, or a 405 WCF or a new 400 Thumma, a rifle handling the .410"-.411" bullets, the 41 mag revolver would make a very good companion piece. We can certainly down load the rifles with 41 pistol bullets, either the 210 grain JSP's or the 250 grain WFNGC's, and have an excellent pot load for hares or head shots on turkey or grouse. You know just a little pop instead of a big boom and viola! Supper is on. Then of course the 41 hipster gun there at the ready when ever we need it for any occasion be it social or for the tundra wookies. I doubt most critters would know the difference between a 250-265 grain WFNGC of .410" diameter and a 265-300 grain .429" diameter bullet. So, what happened to this one?

I've owned at least one since 1972. Still have my old Ruger 4 5/8" Blackhawk I bought new in '72, it's been pawned at least twice, and a M-58 S&W made in 1968, both still solid and very good shooters. I lean more to the workin' guns and prefer them over the high polish of the M-57's, though I've had a few of them also. A four inch M-57 is a nice little carry gun and I'm still on the lookout for a 5 1/2" Redhawk.

Another plus to owning one of the 41 calibers, they're just different, ya know something not everybody has, that's kinda nice sometimes. Oh, sure, factory fodder is a bit harder to find but not really any shortage of components when we roll our own, I wouldn't shoot anything else anyway.

So what say ya, folks? I'll bet there is at least ten shooters out there that have a 41 mag of some kind, let's hear about 'em.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've got an Old Model Blackhawk in .41. The only gun I really regret letting go was a Smith m 58. I really liked that gun.

Well I've owned two.

Sold one to the father of a girl I was dating back in the mid-80's and I really regret it now (selling the pistol, that is). It was a 4" M-657 (stainless) w/ magna-ported barrel and Pachmayr grips. Heavier than my brother's .44 (they use the same frame and just drill the holes smaller is the only thing I can think of) and it recoiled less than his .357 with full power loads.

The other one I have now is a Taurus Tracker Titanium 4" (5-shot, factory ported). It's my outdoor carry gun that's on my hip anytime I'm in the woods. I have a concealed pistol license, so most of the time in the fall or winter I'm wearing a jacket over it and the occasional hiker I run into never even knows it's there. It's extremely light but there's almost no muzzle jump (a heck of a lot of muzzle blast though), but I've never had to use it anywhere but the range so far. Being so light and compact, I find I'm more likely to have it on me than my .44 (6.5" M-629). Better to have it and not need it...

It's nice to run into some other .41 fans. I always thought it was the perfect halfway point between a .22 pistol (great to have in a backpack for grouse) and the big boys (.500 S&W, .460 S&W, .454, etc...).

Where are the 41's?

In the hands of folks who appreciate them too much to let them go. Dandy round, and if there's a difference in killing power between it and the 44 mag, I sure haven't been able to find it on lots of deer kills, regardless of what "the book" says should be going on.

remember when I was just of age to buy one. went into and seen Doug at Down Under when he too was a youngster and bought the model 57 4" they had there. carried it for some 5 yrs and sold it. I now look at it as a growing mistake-wish I had it now

6.5" 657 for me. It and it's Side Armor holster come with me when I can make it up there. The holes just look better in .41 than they do in .44. Doesn't seem like there's enough metal left in the 29's cylinder (I know there is, but looks pretty skinny!).

Default One is hiding...

in my shoulder holster. The holster is either on me or living in my truck waiting for some fresh air.
    Mike
    4" parkerized M57
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default .41 mag

First revolver I ever owned was a 6 1/2" 3 screw .41 mag Blackhawk bought at Woolworth's in Southern Cal. (figure that one) in late '64 on closeout for $49.95. That one is long gone, but I traded back into one a couple months ago, an unconverted 6 1/2" 3 screw. Sent it to Ruger because there was too much end shake and it came back tighter, but of course they converted it to transfer bar safety. I REALLY don't like the way the action feels now and will more then likely change it back. I have made some .41 Specials after trimming the cases back to .38 Special length pushing a 210 grain bullet about 900 f.p.s. Should be fun. Will carry 265 grain Cast Precision loads for the woods. Feel like I've come full cycle. I also believe the .41 compares well to the .44 mag which is actually only .430 diameter. The .41 always has shot flatter over distance and penetrates just fine.

Default 41 Mag Nutts

I guess I could be called a 41 nut I've had 12 since they first came out and like several others I've let get away 3 come to mind that I really wish I would have kept. Two were a pair of customs Jim Clark built me on old model ruger blackhawk frames 0ne with a 5 inch douglas barrel and the other with a 8 inch douglas and man would those two guns shoot.The third was a 5 inch redhawk and it shot real well too as a matter of fact all of them would shoot just about anything you put through them that's what I really like about 41 magnums.The handiest I've had was a model 58 smith that Jim worked over for me to shoot bowling pins with it was sure sweet and yes it got away too. Over the years I've probably got as many 41 caliber bullets down range as 44s and the 41s have always been the most accurate, so as far as I'm concerned long live the 41 magnum.Good shooting Ronnie

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Have owned several. The DE, S&W, Ruger Redhawk, Marlin 1894, T/C Contender which I later rechambered to 411 JDJ and Ruger Blackhawk. The only one I still have is my Blackhawk Liberty Model I purchased in 1976. This cartridge has accounted for Moose, Black Bear and Musk Ox.

Default Taurus titanium for me as well

I have given up discussing my choice of an "inadequate"caliber a while ago. As mentioned, the size as well as the weight of this one make it my routine choice. Better the one you have all the time than the one back home in the safe. For reloading, be aware the cylinder length is shorter than normal.

Default got one as well

I traded my buddy Lance for his Blackhawk in a 41 Mag 5 years ago, and have really enjoyed having it. It has killed several Hogs and a few deer. It is kind of funny that you mentioned having it as a companion to the 400 Whelen because I am having one build on a Mod 70 soon for that. Fun pistol to shoot and is a good change from the 454 and 44 donít go much smaller in the pistol dep, just really like the big wheel guns. My gunsmith buddy has on in a S&W that he shot in bowling pin tournaments with years ago. I had golf ball that I had spray painted orange and put a screw in hanging from a cross wire at 50 yards out at his range, shooting them with a 22. Well ol'e Bob wound up challenging me to shoot against him with the 41ís. Bob won, but it took a while before he hit one. Tough target, but fun to shoot at.

Whit

Default 4" Taurus Titanium Tracker

4" Taurus Titanium Tracker

Still have my Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2", bought it with the $200.00 I won in the Big Buck contest back in 89, great gun.
    Old Cowboys never die, they just keep riding the Range.