Thread: Bow hunting cert

Default Bow hunting cert

Guy I got a question, is the bowhunt certification in the lower 48 good in AK?

Thanks in advance....

Lou

Default Maybe

If it is a national course, IBEP, NBEF or a state archery certification course you are fine.

Some hunter ed. programs do a hunter ed. course that touches on archery but have no proficency test with the bow. Those are not accepted.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

yes.... and vise versa
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Wink Regulations

Lou, this is from the Alaska hunting regs web site.
    Alaska's bowhunter certification course requires passing a shooting skills course. " Hunters with certification from another state or the NBEF/IBEP card do not have to pass Alaska's shooting skills test."
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Thanks for the informaion, I took the course several years ago in Oklahoma I did had to engage targets at various distance, and do some blood tracking exercise. I believe the course was sanction by the Bow Hunting Association. I can not find my card, I went to the OKWD and they have records of the class. When I printed the card it only says Oklahoma Hunter Education. Will this be good enough for bow hunting in AK.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Default Maybe

Maybe the Bow Hunting Assoc. has a record and can supply something for you.

Default sorry to hijack

but, are there places in the state that allow bowhunting without a card? im just wondering.

Default Hijack

To answer your question yes there are in fact most of the state you aren't required to have an IBEP card. Just check the regs and you'll see the areas that the card is required and where it's not

Default Weapons Restricted Hunts

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    but, are there places in the state that allow bowhunting without a card? im just wondering.
    As far as I know, the only time you DO need the certification card is when you are hunting in a "weapons restricted" hunt, such as an archery only hunt or archery only season. Anyone can archery hunt during the regular season without a card, but only certified hunters can hunt the restricted hunts.

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    As far as I know, the only time you DO need the certification card is when you are hunting in a "weapons restricted" hunt, such as an archery only hunt or archery only season. Anyone can archery hunt during the regular season without a card, but only certified hunters can hunt the restricted hunts.
    Yes and some draw hunts you have to be certified in order to just apply for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskadude View Post
    Thanks for the information, I took the course several years ago in Oklahoma I did had to engage targets at various distance, and do some blood tracking exercise. I believe the course was sanction by the Bow Hunting Association. I can not find my card, I went to the OKWD and they have records of the class. When I printed the card it only says Oklahoma Hunter Education. Will this be good enough for bow hunting in AK.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
    Hopefully it says Bowhunter. I would call OKWD and see if they have a card that says bowhunting cert. This would be helpful to you in avoiding any question concerning your bow card.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Guys thanks a lot for the information. I e-mailed NBEF and they are checking into getting me a replacemnt card. The OKWD only shows a hunter education course. Will see what happen.