Thread: Hunting with a 73 y/o man...

Thumbs up Hunting with a 73 y/o man...

I just got done hunting with a 73 y/o man! 4 day hunt here on the Yukon & He knew where all the prime moose spots were (even though we only saw cows) & he told me a joke about one time a long time ago, a white teacher went with some local hunter to go moose hunting & they saw a moose, & it was a cow, & the teacher shot the moose & the local told the teacher, "You can't shoot that cow!" & the teacher replied "That's not a cow! That's a MOOSE!" LOL!

Likewise, this guy is only about 5' high, & the first day of hunting, my partner & I were in a meadow & he stayed in the boat, the cut bank was, oh say, only 7'+ high, so I never expected him to climb the cut bank. Sure 'nough, 1 1/2 hrs later, my parter tells me he sees him coming in the meadow. I looked back & glassed, nothing but tall 51/2" tall swaying grass. I went back to talking to my partner & would look back trying to see him. About 5 min's later, I see a red hat bouncing over the swaying grasses...LOL!!! poor old man I couldn't even see him! I was just imagining a moose jumping out in front & wondering how the heck would he be able to shot it?

This guy, don't get me wrong, I am not dissing him, just some observations of my hunting trip, that really impressed me...first, he was very generous, he did most of the cooking, & every time we landed for camp, or return from a hunt, he would fire up the cooking stove to warm up water. Secondly, he was a fast walker for someone so short, I didn't want to walk fast, as I didn't want to "spook" the moose, & get hot as well, (beautiful sunny days of hunting!), & I had to keep up in the thick brush, panting & sweating away!

Funny thing too, was prior to this outing, he asked me to come with him & another elder, to go moose hunting, I didn't feel up to it & declined, & he & the other elder caught a moose...& they both butchered & took the moose out themselves...WOW!

Wow! Reminds me of an old guy I knew growing up and worked for on occasion. He could move thru the tussocks like no one I've ever seen. We called him 'swivel hips'. There was no way any of us could keep up with him. It was cruel irony when we heard he slipped on the ice outside the unempoyment office and broke a hip. Never was the same after that.

Ones abilities are rarely governed by our physical capabilities. Inevitably, our physical limits are reached in our minds, long before our real physical limits stop us.
    If you hunt with the mind set that once the animal is dead, it gets transported back to the boat, then you will get it done. I suspect your small friend, goalie, has never considered the idea that his kill will not end up back in town.
    Of course, your elder friends also have "experience" on their side, and know how to go about the job of getting the moose back to the boat without over exerting themselves.
    Sounds like some good fellas to be out with.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

sounds like a great guy to share a camp with, probably could learn a lot by just listening to him. excuse my ignorance(southern ontario canada Ignorance) but what are tussocks....marshy ground thats hard to walk on?

My husband guided for a 70 year old gentleman last year for sheep and it was challenging. I could honestly say that it was my husband's hardest hunt that he has ever done.
    My husband had to carry and help him down and up the mountain, through creeks, and carry his meat for him as well.
    When they both came off that mountain, they had lost significant weight and the hunter was incredibly pale... but they made it.
    I have much respect for this gentleman, though. He's hunted all his life and has waited a lifetime for his dall sheep hunt.
    We have done dinners with him and his wife as we have every year returning to this gentleman's home state (previously my home state) and I am always reminded that when I am his age, I could only but hope that I could be as active and healthy and him and his wife are.
    Lurker.

Default I forgot to add...

One of the most important things he did was maintain a POSITIVE ATTITUDE! He never criticized my moose calling, in all the other hunts I did from 2005-2007, everyone I hunted with completely ragged on my moose calling from the day I started untill this year...He actually stated that I sound just like a cow moose(Perhaps that was his criticizim in a way)