Thread: Dear Fellow Hunters

Default Dear Fellow Hunters

Im certainly not posting this to cause "problems" but it goes along with the other things to keep in mind while your in the field and your preparation of getting there.

As a land owner, might I suggest those of you who use trails PLEASE find out who owns the land BEFORE you park, shoot or leave your trash behind. Private property means just that. Just because the trail starts and ends on our lot doesn't mean its a parking lot. This weekend was HORRIBLE! By all means, use the trail, thats everyones right, but the land on each side of that trail someone takes pride in (not to mention pays for).......

Just a friendly reminder out of the Houston area

Question Solution?

I whole-heartedly agree. I am not fortunate enough to own land outside Anchor-town; but as a hunter I try to ensure that I am not trespassing.

With all that this great state has to offer in the outdoors arena, it does little to assist a recreational user play on public property. While living in Idaho it was quite simple -if the fence posts were green, it was BLM; if the fence posts were red, it was private.

I am not saying that all land owners should go out and post their property in such a way.

However, it is very time-consuming to determne if the land is state owned, private, just a mining claim, etc.

I have attempted (and occasionally successfully) used the web based resources, but these are complicated to simply find the appropriate land plot(s). And when you find the plot there are numerous 'keys' and colors to determine who owns, owned or may have rights to the land in question.

Is there a better way?

I surely don't want to disturb the privacy of every land owner in an area I am interested in fishing or hunting, only to find that they do not own the property in question.

Default alaska law...

"I am not saying that all land owners should go out and post their property in such a way"

States that you MUST post your land if you don't want tresspassers...

Default Fraudulant "posted" signs

You have to really know where you are. Some people will post state land because they have a cabin off a state-owned trail and don't like anyone but them being in there. It is your responsibility to know and not the land owners.
    I ran into that last year near Chulitna. A mannish-looking lady came into our camp and told us to stay off the trails on the other side of the road from us, as she lived there and we were not to drive on "her" trails. We already knew where we were and who owned what. After talking a bit, she finally admitted her cabin was 2 miles in on less than 1/2 acre, but the trail across the state right of way was considered hers and her neighbors, and they want no one else in there.
    We were not using it, but I let her know right now I would be all over that trail if we were, as that was state land.

I wholeheartedly agree with cleaning up after yourselves, tho. The camp are we were in was just trashed by earlier hunters. We spent part of a day gathering trash, raking broken bottles and burning garbage left behind by those slobs.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

I dont know what the solution would be, but I shouldnt have to post anything. Personaly I think it looks like crap when you drive down a road/trail that says Posted this, Posted that, Trespassers will be shot etc...I live out of the city to get away from signs.
    Folks just need to learn some consideration not only for others, but that they also have the privilege to hunt in this great state.

Straight off F&G webpage...it says NOTHING about having to post our land, BUT it does say that we as hunters need to know where we are hunting at all times.

I wasn't able to copy it, but goalie if you need more clarification its in your hunting regulations.

Im glad there are a few who still agree. Again, this wasn't ment to be a rant, it was a matter of fact post and from someone who is living in the middle of it all.....
    If you don't know, ASK!

Ya that's just plain wrong for people to trash your land, or any land for that matter.

I too have run into frustration over the private land issue in Alaska. I have no problem staying off of private property if I know where it is. It's just that sometimes it's real hard to tell where it is. You almost need to be a surveyor at times to be sure. I'm from western Montana and it was pretty simple there. No hunting on Indian reservations, and the reservation boundaries are marked pretty good in areas that were accessible like along the highway and logging roads, etc. Also, if a fence post was painted orange it meant no tresspassing. Here in Alaska it's up to us hunters to know where the private property and property boundaries are. That can be pretty tough to determine. Just gotta deal with it I guess.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I agree with everyones points on this issue but wanted to point out that the plat mapping program on the web is one of the worst I have ever used! There is far better software available but without some preasure from the voters I am sure we wil not see any improvement.

To prove my point check out this link to the county apraisers GIS in Tampa Fl. This would make it easy to know where you were!
    http://propmap3.hcpafl.org/main.asp?msize=520

AK Trapper, I agree it's a pain that you should need to post your land, but for most of us it's hard to determine what belongs to someone, & what is public in some cases. Is your house right there? Is there anything to indicate it's private? If not posting itfor that golden month of moose season may be the answer. I will never knowingly tresspass without permission, but sometimes when I see several other rigs parked ata trailhead Imight make the wrong assumption & take it as public land.

It's not just hunters though. I live in Kenai, & pastor a church here that overlooks the Kenai river mouth. Every year at dip netting time everyone (basically non-locals) assumes our parking lot becomes public property because it's the most convienient place to park to watch people dipnet (the city has no parking other than the end of the road which fits about 5 cars). I end up being the bad guy & having to go tell folks they can't park there so our folks will have a place to park for church. Some folks get pretty irate when I ask them to park elsewhere. Folks have also let their kids come into our fenced & gated yard with my 90# malamute to play on our swings while they watch the fishermen.
    My sister-in-law has a B&B with small cabins that butts up to our parking lot & a guy & his wife decided to have their pic-nic on her lawn while he got out of his waders. The wife took the two large dogs up on the lawn to take a dump & then walked over & started using a spigot on the side of one cabin (this is all manicured & in the city by the way) to fill the dogs water dish. I told the guy my sister-in-law owned it & wouldn't appreciate their using her yard in that way while paying guests are there. They couldn't believe someone would be so narrow minded!!!
    It's amazing how many people just walk right through her yard to look over the bluff. There's no question that's private property!!!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I agree, it is difficult at best to determine if the land is state owned or private property, but the part that realy stands out to me is that the area was left trashed. As hunters and recreational land USERS it is our responsability to know who the land belongs to, and if in dought go to somewhere you do know. As for the land being left trashed, it shouldn't matter who the land belongs to, don't leave it trashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    AK Trapper, I agree it's a pain that you should need to post your land, but for most of us it's hard to determine what belongs to someone, & what is public in some cases. Is your house right there? Is there anything to indicate it's private? If not posting itfor that golden month of moose season may be the answer. I will never knowingly tresspass without permission, but sometimes when I see several other rigs parked ata trailhead Imight make the wrong assumption & take it as public land.

It's not just hunters though. I live in Kenai, & pastor a church here that overlooks the Kenai river mouth. Every year at dip netting time everyone (basically non-locals) assumes our parking lot becomes public property because it's the most convienient place to park to watch people dipnet (the city has no parking other than the end of the road which fits about 5 cars). I end up being the bad guy & having to go tell folks they can't park there so our folks will have a place to park for church. Some folks get pretty irate when I ask them to park elsewhere. Folks have also let their kids come into our fenced & gated yard with my 90# malamute to play on our swings while they watch the fishermen.
    My sister-in-law has a B&B with small cabins that butts up to our parking lot & a guy & his wife decided to have their pic-nic on her lawn while he got out of his waders. The wife took the two large dogs up on the lawn to take a dump & then walked over & started using a spigot on the side of one cabin (this is all manicured & in the city by the way) to fill the dogs water dish. I told the guy my sister-in-law owned it & wouldn't appreciate their using her yard in that way while paying guests are there. They couldn't believe someone would be so narrow minded!!!
    It's amazing how many people just walk right through her yard to look over the bluff. There's no question that's private property!!!!!
    Hi Vance,

Yes, our home is about 400ft from the trail head. But like Thunder said, it probably wouldnt have bothered me as much if someone had not kicked their trash off the floorboard of their rig onto the ground. (assumption)
    It is a combination of things really. I can tell you if someone who was hunting out here walked up to the house and "asked" if it was ok to park where they were, we probably wouldn't have had this discussion either. I realize its hard to access alot of area's. BUT I dont hunt in or around a subdivision either...
    One other thing to note, in the Houston City limits it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 1000 ft of a structure within subdivision boundaries. I didnt even know that until I looked up our city codes.
    I guess we'll post signs next year so that its clear, Its just sad that this last weekend brought it all down to this. Signs or no signs Im sure we'll have our share of problems over the years. I can still say its better then living in Wasilla or Anchorage! LOL! Happy hunting everyone!

Thumbs up not trying to argue but to inform...

"I wasn't able to copy it, but goalie if you need more clarification its in your hunting regulations."

AKtrapper, the regulations, particularly in the AK F&G hand book, isn't the be all to end all in regulations, it's just a useful guide, it even says so in the book that there are other regulations to abide by & to look up the AK statutes on hunting & fishing.

Now, I know you have to post you land private property, if you don't want trespassers & there is a regulation for that as well, I know Deloya Cheet corp. in Holy cross has posted thier land no hunting allowed without a permit, at a 6' high mark every coupla hundred or more feet...from a troopers own mouth..."if it ain't posted, hunt it!"

http://www.homernews.com/stories/082...s_1a_004.shtml

Well its a good thing you know a Trooper with that mentality. If someone is hunting on my land that is considered Trespass, signs or no signs. Plain and simple.

Default AKTrapper...

"Well its a good thing you know a Trooper with that mentality."

Please read! It's not the mentality of one trooper, it's the LAW that troopers are bound!

http://www.homernews.com/stories/082...s_1a_004.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    from a troopers own mouth..."if it ain't posted, hunt it!"

Instead of posting signs, I'll let each of the folks know verbally since the law states "* A notice of trespass is personally communicated to that person by the owner or an authorized person"...It does not state I HAVE to post signs, verbal communication suits me just fine.

I was not referring to the posted URL. I was commenting on the mentality of that comment (from a troopers own mouth, in my head computes to "one" trooperr). This was not posted to butt heads with anyone. Its plain and simple, there is "No law" swaying one way or the other. I do know that if someone is caught shooting on my property I can not be responsible for what happens after the fact.....now, if anyone else would like to add to this great, but lets keep it on track, trespass was not my only complaint. Goalie I have not seen you say a word on anything else, you focused on one thing.....lets hear the laws on all the other things as well...

Thanks!

I have seen sane people lose their minds over peoples indescretions and often respond with a far larger crime because they feel "justified"! I had a friend break a leg when a homeowner set a trap on a powerline easment that caused a dirtbike accident. Ultimately the dirtbiker was well within his rights and the homeowner could have been charged with attempted murder. All I am saying is that if you don't like the law contact your congressman and submit a bill to change it. I assure that there are all ready laws against shooting tresspassers unless you are in direct fear of your life. Tell you what a lawyer told me "if you shoot someone make sure you do a good job, in a self defense shooting you want it to be you versus the state of ALASKA" Even then dead people dressed like hunters next to a dead moose might still be a tough sell. I will however try to make it a point to never step foot on your property without written aproval! ;-) Oh and littering IS a crime which is why no one has anything to say about that.

With the different interpretations of the laws it just stands to reason that as a responsible hunter I will be the one who needs to know exactly where I will be hunting and whether or not it is private or state owned property. If I have any doubt then I should not hunt there at all. Ignorance is no excuse.

BW

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have seen sane people lose their minds over peoples indescretions and often respond with a far larger crime because they feel "justified"! I had a friend break a leg when a homeowner set a trap on a powerline easment that caused a dirtbike accident. Ultimately the dirtbiker was well within his rights and the homeowner could have been charged with attempted murder. All I am saying is that if you don't like the law contact your congressman and submit a bill to change it. I assure that there are all ready laws against shooting tresspassers unless you are in direct fear of your life. Tell you what a lawyer told me "if you shoot someone make sure you do a good job, in a self defense shooting you want it to be you versus the state of ALASKA" Even then dead people dressed like hunters next to a dead moose might still be a tough sell. I will however try to make it a point to never step foot on your property without written aproval! ;-) Oh and littering IS a crime which is why no one has anything to say about that.
    LuJon,

Not sure where you are going with that one, but ok. And no, we dont take trespassing lightly. FYI, shooting within the subdivision boundary and within 1000 ft of a structure is breaking the law as well. Like I said before I dont "hunt" in a subdivision, human or four legged critters

My cousin lives near the hollywood and vine area and I have seen more than a few road hunters out of anchorage road hunting in their neighborhood. We have been hunting certain areas back there well away from structures for years cousins wife won the cow tag lottery this year and has allready punched it, still a couple legal bulls out there but I will never tell where, I think one may have my name on it!
    We need to get the word out and send all the road hunters to petersville area let them put miles on their trucks and support the roadhouse. They are so unsuccesful they still wont impact the people that actually hunt that area