Thread: Secret Moose Hunting Spot Revealed!

Default Secret Moose Hunting Spot Revealed!

For you K-Pen hunters.

The Irish Hills. Moose and Black Bear abound. Be wary of the Brownies in the area. I see grouse everytime I've been there. Excellent place to bait in the spring. I ran across a nearly-black wolf 3 years ago near the south end of the hills.

Lots of trails that you can walk, 4-wheel or travel via horseback.

There are some high and dry trails as well as all the swamp you can handle. These hills have only a handful of cabins and limited trails in and out. Please respect the few private landholdings (of which I am one). This area is called the Kasilof Wilderness Subdivision. The private land is several lots in the hills. All else is public land.

This is also a great place to snowmobile and with snow on the ground the trail options are unlimited.

In Soldotna, set your odometer to 0 at the new bridge. Go South (towards Homer) on the Sterling Highway. At 6 miles, turn West (Right) onto Irish Hills Lane. Reset your odometer.

Go 1 mile on the gravel road to the intersection of Irish Hills Lane and Spruce Bark Drive (about N60 23.062 W151 12.885). If you continue straight ahead at the intertsection you will be on the Irish Hills Trail (old logging road).

There is room to park by the intersection sign. The trail is overgrown with alders so don't attempt this trail with a highway vehicle unless you don't like the present paint job. (I usually walk or ride my 4-wheeler)

Once on the trail it makes several splits. Right or left will take you "down-around" the Hills. If you take the middle trails you will enter the timber in a bout a mile, but have options later to drop back down to the low country.

The Bourogh Information may be found here:
    http://www.borough.kenai.ak.us/gisde...disclaimer.htm
    Land owners can be identified at this site. Select Satellite Photos and you can see the trails.

Now, how about a trip report? Post here (with pictures?) or PM me.

Or post questions here...

Default Thank You

I don't know about anyone else but I will keep your information in my notes for future years. I try to get to Alaska for a hunt at least 1 time every year and I have not hunted the Kenai Peninsula yet. Who knows, maybe next year.

Wow, what prompted this?!
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Exactly what I was wondering. There is a lot more area to be had on the east side of the highway rather than the west side. Bustedknee what's up??

Talking

This sounds a little too good to be true. Hell I'll check it out I guess. You are not just trying to lure us there to kill us are you?

My Grandad once explained a gifthorse to me... Ha ha.

Anyway,
    I have several reasons for doing this.

Over the last several weeks there have been tons of guys on this board, begging for a place to hunt. Here is one I'm willing to give up.

This is to be my last winter in Alaska, after 33 years. I'm retiring and leaving.

I own 10 acres in the Irish Hills and hardly anyone hunts there. The road is growing closed. It needs to be kept open. I ain't going to be here to do it.

If someone decides he can't live without owning 10 acres of some of the finesting hunting land, within driving distance, I'm the man!

Do Not, I repeat, Do Not repeat this, but under this rough exterior beats the heart of a nice guy.

Like one poster said, "check it out".

Go to topozone.com and the Kenai Borough websites, drive down there and take a walk, take the 4-wheeler for a run, let us know what you think.

Default wow

Come on guys!
    "hey, all alaska hunters go here"... so my little neck of the woods is nice and quiet. I see a punch-line coming...thats funny.

Default Jaw on the floor

Now that is a good samaritan. I live in the bush and I don't tell anyone that wasn't actually with me Jack squat about where I go....and there's good spots everywhere. It's a free country and philanthropy is a rare occurrence but what about the other guys that currently hunt that honey hole....it's a good thing you're leavin. Perhaps a pm the the guys needin the info is the way I would have gone but what the heck, tear it up boys, my lips are still sealed.

It is obvious most people are leery. So how many people do you think will actually check this out. It is a nice place!

Will someone go look and report back, dagnabit! (for the doubters)

I do know that area and the surrounding area, all along Coho Loop has a huge number of moose in it, due to the culling of the beetle killed spruce over the last decade. Good tip. Matter of fact, if you aren't careful, you will hit one with the truck, before you get to hunt.

Default I'll check it out

BK, I'll check it out. I need some place close to take my boys. They are of the age now that they need to experience a hunt. This sounds great and is just down the road from me. I will report back. And thank you for the jesture.

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    It is obvious most people are leery. So how many people do you think will actually check this out. It is a nice place!

Will someone go look and report back, dagnabit! (for the doubters)

I will, and thank you!
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Am heading out RIGHt now with another member (Theilercabin). Will let you know.

Default Lots of Brown bears there!!

Been there done that! If you like to deal with brown bears this is the place for you. Please come on down just remember big guns for big brown bears. I have only heard of 3 moose taken here in the last 5 years, 2 spike/forks and 1 sub legal. Here's the proof on the brown bears I had to shoot one this spring to keep it from eating me, I shot it at 4 feet so I know it wasn't a bluff. Lots of brown bear tracks there the other night when I was out. I have seen at least 2 dozen Brown bears out there this year and would really like them thinned out so if anyone drew the Brown Bear tag for the area PM me and I'll be happy to show you the area in the spring and maybe you can thin them out for us who live in the area.

Default P.S.

There is a lot of people checking this out and it is not a secret it has been bumper to bumper 4 wheelers out here all year and more now that hunting season is here I know I listen to them drive by all day

There will be no brown bear season this fall or spring on the Kenai Penn.

Drove down through there the other night and had a few close calls with cow moose on the road. Know a guy down there and he has had brown bears all over his place. Be careful hunting and driving in the dark.

Am back. Sorry but you guys can have this spot. Buggy as hell. Thick. Need $20,000 in equipment to get in there and back. Unless you like hauling moose quarters in knee deep mud. Did see moose tracks but only those of cows and calves. Saw some bear sign. Unless there was moose on the trail or down on that far bottom meadow, you will never get one here. The lake looked promising but is far too muddy. Plus, there is a hill so steep and slick I'm not sure how one would get an animal up there. Unless, of course, one had the $20,000 in equipment. I won't be back there. Of course if you don't believe me feel free to check it out.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Now that is a good samaritan. I live in the bush and I don't tell anyone that wasn't actually with me Jack squat about where I go....and there's good spots everywhere.......
    I don't know if I've openly published honey holes or not. I think I may have on this very forum, but I don't remember.

But I tell friends about good spots all the time. In fact, just this last weekend I brought a friend out to a little honey hole, we saw sign right where I told him we would, and I'm not going back. He's going to hunt it at the end of the season.

I moved off from that spot years ago, have better places to go, and am just not interested in hunting that spot anymore. May as well help a friend out.