Thread: Outboartd Jet question

Default Outboartd Jet question

How many of you guys are running stainless impellers instead of aluminum in your jets and how much better performance do you get from a stainless. I have no power problems with my boat its just that I had to pull some rocks out of the foot at the Gulkana launch yesterday and noticed how quickly my impeller blades are rounding off. Wondering if a stainless would be better. Thanks in advance.

Thumbs up impellars

I have heard that a 4 blade stainless impellar will imrove performance, is much sturdier and all around the "cats meow". I don't know from personal experience though.I called around, and came to the conclusion that I can't get one in 7 3/8 size. I have looked the internet over and over and havn't had any luck. If you find a place that is reasonable, let me know please. I just want to get a price idea to see if it is really worth it. Good luck

Default outboard/inboard

From what I've heard, you won't see much of an improvement (other than durability) with a SS impeller on an outboard. Most of the performance advantages come with an inboard setup.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default SS Impeller

The reason for going to a stainless is durability. Jets are very in-efficient but the SS will last longer. To keep the jet in the optimum operating range you have to shim it correctly. Once all the shims are on the top side you have to replace the impeller. A SS impeller are more durable and last longer. So it's a pros cons on how long it will last and then price compare. If you dont run alot of glacier water and keep the rocks out the aluminum ones work just fine. I hope this helped!

I talked with Glen Wooldridge about this before purchasing a stainless impeller for my 115 Merc. He said I should see an increase in performance, quicker time getting on step out of the hole and the ability to stay on step at a slightly lower rpm. Anyway, I ordered the impeller from him and have been very happy with it. It is much more durable and I think I've also seen the improved performance he spoke of. I've also switched to the nylon sleeve and it is the cat's meow!!

Just my opinion.

Default jet unit

thanks for the info guys I think I will look into getting one.

AlaskaCub, one other thing to keep in mind is that the stainless impellar I'm running is a four blade as opposed to the standard three blade aluminum that's common. This is probably where the improved performance Mr. Wooldridge spoke of comes into play.

Default inboard/outboard?

Doug,

Are you running an inboard or outboard? Also, is there much of a price difference with the nylon sleeves?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default I too am looking

Can anyone give me an idea as to where one can find a good supplier of impellars? I would like to look into a ss 4 blade. I live in wasilla, and don't enjoy the trip to anchorage. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Default A-1 propellar / impellar 344-7767

IM4FISH
    I don't know if you have tried them or not but I usually go here 1st then to JK svcs if they don't have what I need. Both run about the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud
    Doug,

Are you running an inboard or outboard? Also, is there much of a price difference with the nylon sleeves?
    I'm running a 115 Merc outboard jet. A couple years ago I converted from the standard sleeve (liner) to flanged sleeve because installation and removal is so much easier, plus there's no guess-work when making shimming adjustments. The nylon (urethane) flanged sleeve is $105 and the aluminum flanged sleeve is $45. This is my third year running the nylon sleeve and it still has no grooves and I haven't had to shim the impellar, I run three days per week during the fishing season and then three or four more trips in the fall during hunting season. Believe me, I would have replaced an aluminum sleeve at least twice in that amount of time. I buy my parts at Greatland Welding on the Palmer/Wasilla Hwy. Gary carries most all the parts for outboard jets manufactured by 'Outboard Jet division of Specialty Manufacturing' and it saves a trip to Anchorage.