Thread: Considerate/Helpful Hunters

Thumbs up Considerate/Helpful Hunters

There are a number of threads about meeting others in the field that aren't so positive, so I thought I would mention a few things that left a smile on my face this weekend.

First of all, my 6-wheeler broke down on me about 5 miles from the road down in the bottom of a deep ravine. I was in the process of manually winching it up a hill (which would have taken 6 hours at least) when two different groups of hunters stopped to help. One kind gentleman offered to tow me all the way to the road, and then helped me load my machine into my truck when we got there. Thank you!!!

After that, I headed down the road to see if I could spot any animals from the road. I spotted a group of caribou about 2-3 miles out across some swampy land and headed out on foot to try to intercept them. I was successful, but after butchering and packing one load out, I realized that I was quickly running out of daylight. I asked a gentleman camped next to my truck if he would shine a spotlight out in my direction periodically if I didn't make it back before dark so that I knew which way to walk. Not only did he agree to help out, but he offered his handgun to me so that I could leave my heavier rifle behind for the 2nd load. Thank you as well!

While negative experiences certainly happen, I'm often amazed at the kindness I experience from fellow hunters when out in the field. I try to help others out as much as possible, but I always feel like I recieve way more than I give.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    .....First of all, my 6-wheeler broke down on me about 5 miles from the road down in the bottom of a deep ravine. I was in the process of manually winching it up a hill (which would have taken 6 hours at least) when two different groups of hunters stopped to help. One kind gentleman offered to tow me all the way to the road, and then helped me load my machine into my truck when we got there. Thank you!!!...
    Yeah, it's great to hear such stories.

But I'm never that lucky. I've got an Argo. That means you'd better bring your tools with you, cause you're gonna' need them.

I've developed almost legendary status among family and friends.........I always seem able to limp out in one piece..........

Default Good Will

Thnaks Brian for posting the good news. It is nice to hear about people helping each other.

Smile

I look at helping another hunter in the same way you help someone on the water. Just remember, it could be you next time and the kindness will be returned.

Brian, it is stories like yours that put a smile on my face. I sure hope if I ever need a hand it will be this type of person in the field near me. Just when you are seriously losing faith in your fellow man, something turns it around....
    EricL

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "Kindness is as Kindness does." Your reception with the folks in question was probably a direct result of your attitude. Good on you!

Default I agree

One time while motoring in to duck camp I came around a steep corner to find the other half occupied by a cow moose with two calves...in an effort to avoid I dodged to the far shore and tried to power out of the jet boat slide...as I did this I tagged a stump on the last 2 feet of the boat which sent me flying. The boat ran it's self aground on a 12 foot embankment and I popped up swimming to it. The motor was still at full throttle. I rolled over the side and broke the manual bilge pump in the process...then shut the motor off. So, there I sit with three moose looking at me like...what the heck just happened with my boat only 4 feet in the water and water right to the gunnels on the up river side. What to do...in retrospect...don't just jump up and lift the bow!!! Bow goes up stern goes down and boat fills with water really fast!!!! Then as your trying to hold the bow down (powerhead up) you will realize that...crud the tool box just floated out and 190lbs of downforce isn't going to hold the power head up long. Yep thats where I was....thinking....hmmm do I let go and tie off and deal later or try to balance this waiting for help!! So I tied the boat off!! About an hour later 2 guys in a little boat showed up and helped me get the boat back into the water..alabeit full of water. Then another group showed up to help bail and provide me with tools to get the boat running again. As Brian said THANK YOU. Prior to this I have always stopped to see if I can help...and will continue to do so...hopefully I won't need the reciprocation again but it is appreciated!!

ps...the look on momma moose's face was priceless and laughing about it now is fun to

Thumbs up

On our first ever jet boat trip we had a fellow stop and help us get unstuck. I think we might still be there if he hadn't stopped! I can't remember the guys name, but he was a saint. It took us an hour and a half to get my skiff back in the water, the whole time he never acted like he didn't want to be there, and he never asked for a break. It was an hour and a half of pushing and pulling and digging, sweat was pouring off us like we were in a first class downpour. When we got done he offered to take us back up river to make sure we didn't have any more problems!

I think I said thank you close to a hundred times, but even if it were a thousand, it wouldn't have been enough.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

A buddy and I set out about a week ago to look for cows so I could fill my tag. He hit the usual area in the evening thinking we would not see a cow that I could take home, just like that previous three trips with another hunting buddy. Boy were we wrong. At 9pm during the walk back to the boat I spotted a lone cow standing about 50 yards from the boat. This is a no brainier I had to take the shot. One shot and she never took another step. Soon after we ran out of daylight. He relentlessly helped me dress that moose until 1am by the glow of a single headlamp. After all the meat was in bags we had to make two runs down a shallow, narrow, and fairly dangerous section of river in the dark to the truck. The boat couldn't handle all the meat in one run. We got home at 3:30 in the morning completely exhausted and ready for bed. For the next two days he helped me cut and package the meat until everything was in the freezer. He even brought over his meat grinder and other supplies that were very helpful in putting up the meat.

He helped me with that moose just as if it was his. I even told him I would take care of the meat myself, I felt asking him for help would have been too much to ask after our long adventure. The next morning he came over, sat down, and starting cutting away with me. The moose is completely packaged and in the freezer now, I am beyond grateful for his help! I offered prime cuts and a quantity of other meat packages. He insisted on only a handful of meat.

I learned a lot in those three days. Good moose hunting comradely was especially one of them and, to me, probably the most improtant lesson I could have learned on this hunt. I hope to repay him when he brings home a moose.

Good to hear ya scored WG!

Thanks for this, Brian! Glad you were successful. And Water Gremlin, I want pics, and a complete rundown on the moose butchering and all that.

It's a long run down but I have been working on it when I have spare time at home. You should recieve an email soon.

Default Good To hear

With everything I have been hearing latly about how someone offended me or these people ruined my hunt and many others its always good to hear that there are still many people left that are willing to help out there fellow man in time of need. I always try to stop and help when I see someone in need or even just to check to make sure there not in need of some assistance. There has been a few time where I was that person that needed assistance and have watched many people just drive right by and turn there head the other way so as not to see me as they pass but there has always been that one person who is more then willing to help as needed. Good to hear about yalls success.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Default Positive sign...

Here is a no-brainer... I want to thank all of you (well, at least the 95%) of you that help me out on the forums. I have recieved a priceless amount of information on this site. Several, including you Brian, have PM'd me more than once with great info about hunting spots and techniques. You fellows (and gals) could very easily have kept all the learned hunting info to yourselves, but you chose not to. That is what I am grateful for. With goat season upon us, I will try my 2nd year for scoring on a nice billy, and the THANKS that goes out to Carnivore, Brian, Sheepshape and others is not enough. Full Curl has also helped me out plenty with planning my Elk hunt on Afognak for next month. There are countless others. Hopefully, I can repay the debt later.
    Johnny

Default Completely agree

From a guy that's been towed out of more than one bad situation by complete strangers, and from a guy that has also gotten a lot of great help, guidance, and information from all of you other members on this forum, I also agree that other hunters, fishers, and other outdoorsman are some of the best group of people out there. The people that spend the time out in the field are naturally the ones that really appreciate and respect the outdoors. I'm glad to hear that others of you have had such positive experiences with other folks, especially when things go awry and even get dangerous. Cheers!

Default Perfect thread

We do forget about the generosity, help, and kindness of others. In my experiences, I'm usually the one offering some small help, like a knife or some such thing.

We see the trash of others and assume that EVERYONE SUCKS. But, it is moments like this that we are reminded that the abusers are the few, and the "neighbors" are the many.

Good thread.