Thread: Inconsiderate hunters!!!!!

Default Inconsiderate hunters!!!!!

So this past weekend I went into hopefully shoot my dc827 caribou. My friend and I got out on top with our 4 wheelers and spotted a few groups of 5 to 10 caribou scattered about. Most were too far off and heading the wrong direction, but one group appeared to be worth a shot at. After about an hour of glassing to figure out our path of intercept, I noticed 2 4-wheelers coming up the creek drainage. They could not see the bou from the drainage but did see us up the hill glassing. They then went up the drainage a little further and came up the same side we were on. By that time we had our game plan and drove across the creek and up the other side. We put on a great stalk. We stopped the 4 wheelers prior to crossing over the final ridge where the caribou were headed and walked the final half mile or so up the hill. I was able to get about 300 yards but could not get any closer. I put the crosshairs on a bull in the group and pulled the trigger. It looked like a beautiful shot.his right leg went limp and my buddy said he saw the ripple in his side from the impact. I was very happy and just waiting for him to drop. Well he did not drop, and the other caribou were all around him. They moved slowly away and over the ridge, with my caribou limping along with them. We decided to go get the 4 wheelers and bring them up to the top of the ridge the caribou just went over, then take a peak to see where mine was, or hopefully get another shot in him if he needed it. We returned to the 4 wheelers and saw the other 2 4-wheelers coming up from the drainage below. There was no way in hell that they were planning to go after our little group was there? They stopped about 50 yards from us, I had already gotten off my machine to begin walking across the hill to cut off the group of caribou that had come back to the top of the ridge. These inconsiderate hunters knew that we were after this bunch, and they knew for the past hour we were on the stalk. I could not believe what happen next. These guys looked over at us then proceeded up the hill aiming directly at the middle of the group of caribou!! And what made it worse was that they had a 7-9 year old kid on each machine. Our future hunters. The caribou, of course were watching them, and at about 600 yards the group took off with mine in trail over the ridge and into the next drainage. Those selfish, inconsiderate, ignorant ?*&^%$@ ran off all those animals and caused me to not recover my animal. I was speechless at what they had done. The balls to impede on our stalk in the first place, then to not have a clue at what they were doing. About an hour later I saw them silhouetted on top of the highest ridge glassing. I also saw the group of caribou about 4 miles away at the top of the next creek. It is too bad these hunters are out there. It just chaps my #$$.

Question Not good...

Too bad that 1st shot at 300 yds didn't put him down. What were ya shooting? When these guys ran off the 'bou and you saw yours going over into the next drainege at 600yds trailing the rest of the group, did you go over there and try to see where it went? Was that same group of caribou short one bull in the herd when you saw them 4 miles away across the creek?
    By the way you worded your story, you make it sound like you made a poor hit, the other guys showed up, ran off the 'bou, you got pissed off, gave up and didn't follow up on it. Please correct me if I'm wrong here... If I am, I'd like to apologize in advance.

One more question. Did you try to talk to them when they stopped 50 yards from you? There are some folks out there that are oblivious to their surroundings and the people around them.

Thought it was a good shot but he did not go down. I went back to the 4 wheeler to ride it closer. We had walked quite a ways, and would have walked another 600 yards to the ridge top. I thought it would be quicker to go get the 4 wheeler and return. That way if they had continued moving I may have a shot to head them off. When we got to the 4 wheelers we saw that they come back to the top of the ridge in our view. That is when the other guys came up and charged ahead, causing the caribou to run off, with mine traveling at the back of the pack. They all went down the ridge to the left and over into another drainage. I traveled left and up then waited there for another 2 hours watching and waiting to see where those caribou went. I saw them after about an hour, 4 miles up the drainage moving away. They were spread out in 1's and 2's. I never saw mine again. I did not just quit on that, but their infringing on my hunt I believe caused me not to recover that animal. I would have been able to continue stalking and staying with the herd until I got another shot. I would not have run directly at the herd as this idiot did. I guess you could always say I did not put him down as I should have. I am sure that never happens to anyone. I am talking about what happen after that. And yes I was pissed, but you are wrong in the idea that I just left.

And yes I was pissed, but you are wrong in the idea that I just left.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. Like I said, how YOU worded the "original" story made it appear differently is all.

Too bad you had this experience. I know, not everyone can fly out into remote backcountry and have it all to themselves. A guy can only do with what he has. But anytime you have access to game with an atv off of the road system, so do alot of the jerks out there and it sucks. I'm not exempt here, I know. I have unfortunatly observed (from a distance) "inconsiderate people" do similar acts to others over the years, and all you can do is shake your head, say to yourself "***?", and hope that they don't head your way.

What really sucks, and you are right, is when they have their kids with them and this is what the youngsters are being taught. Sad...

No hard feelings man, I hope that you have better luck next time....

I don't think that having a plane necessarily makes you imune to idiots I have heard more than one story of idiots dissrupting hunts and buzing game in the middle of nowhere... It is sad that we have to deal with that stuff

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Imho

Not a good situation at all! Unfortunately, whoever does come across the wounded caribou will be saying some unfortunate things about the person that pulled the trigger. I have NEVER not recovered an animal I have shot.- it has occasionally taken more than 1 shot, but recovery has never been an issue- that's not to say I'm immune, it just hasn't happened. I know it happens to some of the best and most experienced hunters so no offense intended, I just can't stand the idea of a wasted animal- and blaming ignorant hunters for running your animal off after you left the scene of a wounded animal to go and get your 4-wheeler isn't the right approach- killing the animal initially would have solved the whole issue- IMHO.

Did you punch your drawing permit? That is what the law says you should have done immediately upon mortally wounding the caribou. Too bad you lost the meat.

I must admit, I was not expecting the response I have gotten. I thought there would be more support for what happen to me and less for the ignorant person that did that. Instead, it appears that is not the issue at all. Live and learn. Keep grilling and questioning my ethics if you must but none of you know me. I am not an irresponsible hunter and sockeye, I don't feel that I need to keep defending myself but will one more time. These caribou were on the move. Grazing and walking... They continued to move after my shot and me being responsible, decided the fastest way to get to them would be to go get the 4 wheeler and ride to the top of the ridge. That way, if I got to the top and they had continued to move, I would still have a shot at getting to him. I had observed this group for over an hour prior to the stalk and felt that I knew what they were doing. Low and behold the group of caribou did a 180 and came back over the ridge while I was walking back to the 4 wheeler. I could have killed the caribou on the first shot too, that would have solved the problem as well. Again, not the issue. Its what happen after. I felt I was doing the right thing by getting the 4 wheeler instead of an endless chase that I have always been told you can never catch up too. Do you think that I am not upset about not recovering that animal? I am glad you have always recovered you game, and I hope something like this never happens to you.
    And Akres, yes, I have and will not be going back. Thank you for your concern.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 09-05-2007 at 09:18. Reason: language

Sounds to me as though you did what you thought was right at the time. That is what is expected throughout the hunting community. Good to hear you followed through with punching your permit. Hunting in pressured areas is a challenge.

Thumbs down

That plain sucks. It is tougher hunting in areas accessed by ATVís but from what I read it sounds like those other fellas saw you and should have been able to put two and two together and held off. I think one guy made a good point about people being oblivious and unaware of their surroundings; maybe they thought for some reason they had spotted the herd first? Is there any way they knew you had a wounded animal in the group and that you guys were actively pursuing them? Lame way to punch out.

Tim

Sounds like you did the right thing prior to shooting, that is, stopping your atv and walking to ensure success. When I pull the trigger and know I hit an animal, the hit animal becomes the priority, I immediately advance as rapidly to the animal to either finish it off or find it. I'll walk harder and faster knowing that I've put a bullet in something and will do whatever needed to finish it off. If you had retrieved your atv and run it to the top of the hill you might have spooked possibly a wounded Caribou and its buddies, then had no chance to finish it off. This it just my personal view from what I read, and in no way don't interpt this as critisism of your hunting ethics.

Default Good opportunity for others to learn

Luv2angle1,

Hi. In reading this thread, I was just thinking that this is a good opportunity for others to learn from someone else's mistake(s). Yes, none of us are immune from wounding an animal and having it get away. It's a sorry deal indeed when it does happen.

It's hard to really interpret your story in some respects. There is a lot of conflicting info.

What might help is if you tell us just what, if anything, you could have done after that first shot to change the outcome. A followup shot perhaps instead of waiting for him to drop? Or to follow on foot to try to cut them off farther ahead or get a shot from that next ridge? Also, given that hindsight is 20/20, was 300yds too far of a shot with whatever rest you had and your shooting abilities? What bullets and caliber were you shooting? How do you know you were 300yds off?

I honestly think it's a bit of a stretch to expect most of us here to "support" you for wounding and losing an animal. We can certainly commiserate with you. You're right, we don't know you...and that's part of the issue, just as you don't know us. I understand how upset you are; losing an animal weighs on a person. In the end, I think you know that the end results fall on your shoulders though, and not on the shoulders of those other hunters. I think maybe that is what some are trying to get across. I mean this with all due respect. Good on you for punching your tag and getting it into F&G.

I think most of the criticism was just based on HOW you wrote up the initial post. I will admit that when I read it, I got the impression that you did not do much to find the wounded animal but rather just got frusterated at the others and left. Based on what you have stated since that, it appears that you did in fact do much more than that and did what you felt at the time to be the best thing to secure your animal.

I know that I have spent hours searching an area the size of my living room for a blood splatter just to confirm that I had a clean miss (despite having a spotter who was 99% sure that I missed and no evidence from the animal reaction of a hit). Ended up that my scope had been knocked off and I was shooting a couple FEET off at 100 yds. I have seen a few other cases where poeple have hit animals but did not go to recover them since they did not fall right away (airboaters in both cases). Unfortunately we did not know that this was the case until after they had left and we found the bloody hoof prints in the mud later that day in addition to the carcass of the animal they ultimately did take in another location.

It always sucks to hear of one group of hunters causing problems with another. We have enough problem dealing with the anti-hunting people, we don't need to get in the way of each other.

Good luck with your future hunting.

Angry I can relate

Regardless of the lack of killing the animal initially, etc (which can happen to anyone for a variety of reasons) the actions of the fellow hunters is unfortunately all too familiar.

We've had two similar occurrences already this year where we had dismounted and were stalking caribou. In the first, here comes four wheelers riding double, etc that clearly could see us from well below our elevation on a "trail"-this in an area that there is no main trail, per se. They proceed to ride right through us without even dismounting to ascertain our situation. Needless to say, we lost the opportunity. Later in the day we watched as two of their group pursued one of these caribou in "fools pursuit" over hill and dale with the predictable outcome; running down caribou doesn't work.

Last week we had another where we had spotted a caribou uphill on a side trail and had stopped to evaluate the size/sex, etc. Eerily similar to the previous event, here comes a group of four or five with multiple persons onboard. They zoomed right on through without even so much as a courtesy look and ruined any chance we may have had. One passenger was even holding a gun in hand if you can believe it.

If role reversed in these situations, it's incumbent to back off and be sure not to spoil someone's opportunity. Not only the initial chance but also the potential for effecting the pursuit of a animal as in your case. I just don't get it-is it that bloody important to "go get 'em" without thinking the situation through? This same mentality is what leads to hunting accidents, wounded animals, and some of us giving up the sport. Sadly, this will never change 100%, but I guess we can hope to educate through these forums, etc. Your experience makes my blood boil.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Agree with Bushrat

I couldn't agree more with Bushrat!!! Its true I don't know you luv2angle- and I'm sure your more than competent and are as ethical as possible. However, when I hear that someone loses an animal- even if it becomes me someday- it is 100% on their shoulders. The other hunters may have been as confused and upset as you- did you ever have the chance to talk with them?

Sounds like those folks were not hunting at all, but animal worshippers. These cultists are all around.

Sorry to hear about how your hunt turned out. Just a thought for the future is to keep shooting until the animal is down. You never really know how well an animal is hit until you reach it, or if the bullet did something strange. There is nothing wrong with putting 2 or 3 bullets in an animal, a bit of lost meat vs completing loosing an animal is a fair tradeoff.

Definately a disapointing end to a hunt. I have shot someones wounded bou before and I have no doubt that had it not run in front of me it would have run for many miles before it finally bled to death. Once the other hunters spooked your bou the whole group probably took off for canada! I hate all the armchair quarterbacks on the news questioning what our soldiers do in the field and I am not going to question your decisions in the heat of the moment. Rereading your post it sunds like the wounded animal was intermingled with the rest of the heard eliminating the chance for a follow up shot in which case every book I have ever read says not to spook it and give the bullet a chance to work. It's too bad you had someone else spooke it for you...