Thread: Looking for Valdez Silver Report

Default Looking for Valdez Silver Report

How was the fishing around Allison Point and Robe this Labor Day weekend? Looking at heading that way in a few hours.

We fished all weekend and ended up with 70 fish. We dropped our lines just outside the Valdez harbor and trolled from there. The fishing was slower than previous years, but there were fish to be had.

There were LOTS of boats and more rude behavior than I have witnessed in the past, perhaps because the fishing was slow. There was a fair amount of radio traffic that carried verbal abuse at various boaters for making a wake, fishing too close, clogging up the launch, etc.

One charter boat was really catching the business on Sunday. I had heard people yelling at him over the radio several times that morning. When we saw the boat in the crowd, he had stopped fishing and was circling a boat in a threatening manner. I never saw what caused the confrontation, but several people called the Coast Guard asking for assistance with this particular charter boat, and he finally backed off. It was a pretty sad event to witness.

Default Questionable Charter

I had some family visiting and took them on a charter out of Valdez. The guide said he was going to charge more than originally agreed on, once on the boat, because he claimed he was spending more on gas. When we got out there, there we’re only a couple of poles properly rigged up, because it was the last charter of the year. The crew members fished from those poles, and caught most of the limit for the boat (taken away opportunity for family to catch their own), maybe that is why it is illegal for the crew to fish. All the fish were small ans would not have kept when out on my own. It was apparent they were worn out, didn’t care about providing a good trip, and just wanted to get us back to the dock as soon as possible.

We did fish silvers from the dock, had good luck when the tide was coming in, best about an hour before high tide. Family had fun doing this.

It was a shame to pay good money for a charter and have the crew catch most of the fish, I would strongly advise against this charter operator. We had a much better time on the dock catching our own fish for the price of bait.

It was a bit slower than in years past, but overall still good

Irish,
    Can you PM me with the name of the Charter so I can avoid them in the future. I'd say post it for all, but that is against the forum rules. Thanks, Rob
    1989 24' Custom Almar, 460 3-stage SS Kodiak jet

Default Why I don't fish Labor Day

Kind of why I don't fish here on Labor Day. Too many people, not enough knowledge of the navigation rules and on and on....

Now that everyone is gone, I could still get fish if I wanted but the freezer is filled. Time for moose, goat, deer and caribou. Yep, bought another freeser this weekend in Fairbanks. Fairbanks was empty ;D

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Urban View Post
    How was the fishing around Allison Point and Robe this Labor Day weekend? Looking at heading that way in a few hours.
    It was slow going at allison point...good luck.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Unhappy Valdez

I had a buddy tell me the seiners had an opener on Sept 1st. He said Allison Point was a bust.

Default Nope

Nope the seiners went in today the 4th. I substituted for one class period for our resident commercial fisherman/teacher.

There will still be fish around. Seines can't go in from Blueberry Hill to the opposite point other side of Gold Creek. There were still silvers in Jack Bay headed in last weekend too.

While the seiners can get some, remember the security zone around the port. What ever is in there is safe until they move out to Allison Point also.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

At the Valdez Library right now. Allison Point has been real slow. I got here just as the tide was coming in yesterday. Hooked 3, but only landed 1. Today is even slower. Might try a fly on the Robe. Can't complain about the weather though...

Would it be too late to cruise down to Valdez this weekend to fish for Silvers? I couldn't make it over Labor Day due to the Misses and the Little one being sick. I have been in AK for a year now and have yet to land my first salmon... Timing and location seem to be a big player in that. My lack of local fishing techniques has been a contributor. This forum has helped the latter I think... I need to find out if I have learned anything. Thanks, Buick
    1989 24' Custom Almar, 460 3-stage SS Kodiak jet

Default Update

We fished from the shore at Allison Point and from the boat from the port out to Mineral creek. Allison Point was slow but we were able to limit out over a long period, about 6 hours, 2 before and then after high tide.

Spotted quite a few at about 100' out from the port near Mineral creek. Also got reports of them being deep from Mineral creek out to Gold creek near the shrimp pots. Did ok but it started getting rough and raining so we went in.

Also fished at the end of the Ferry terminal. Saw alot of fish jumping, not sure if they were Silvers or Chums. But all we could catch were really bright chums, actualy I thought they were silvers when we first brought them up. But you could tell by the lack of aerial antics while reeling them in.

From shore we used mostly vibrax, different colors, but seemed to get hit on the rainbow one mostly.

From the boat herring.

Thumbs up Valdez Report

Spent a week in Valdez fishing out of our 25 ft Bayliner. Luckily we were able to get a slip in the harbor. I would rate the fishing as good if you had a boat to troll from. Able to land limits each day at Gold Creek. Can't say we had any run in's with other boats. Most kept a buffer zone. I thought the best fishing was away from the main fleet during labor day weekend. After labor day about fifty seiners set their nets all over. According to most if was a bust with fish spread out, and not very concentrated execpt for the points off Mineral creek & Gold creeks. Saw one boat pull it's net with about 30-40 fish. Fish may be arriving late this year? It appears they are are still moving into the area because they were jumping around Jack & Galena bays. Should be fair to good fishing this year through mid October according to one of my local friends. Lot of Pinks still at the weir at the hatchery. However, there are a lot of silvers stacked below the ladder. Alison Point fishing was very slow. I saw one fish out of 15 fisherman. Also harvested a 5 gallon bucket of shimp, 30 lb Ling, and one 150 lb black bear. Halibut fishing was slow for us.