Thread: flying with broadheads

Default flying with broadheads

I was curious what laws apply when flying with broadheads. Do i need to have them seperate from the arrows and bows or can they be on the arrow in the same case as my bow. this is probably common knowledge but it's my first time to fly cross country on a bow hunt.

I would assume that they can be in the same case as the bow. They're not explosive, so it would seem silly to require that they be in a seperate case. I could be wrong, but that seems like the logical answer...of course, government regulation and logic are sometimes not connected!

-Brian

Default Flying

I wouldn't take a chance I would just remove the Broad heads and put them in my carry on bag and not worry.
    DR B

Default not in carry on!

You don't want to put them in your carry on, that would fall in the same category as a knife. I'm about to head back home to New Mexico for elk and I'm just going to put them in a separate box in one of my other checked bags. i have friends that have just left them on the arrows with the bow and had no problems. Your checking the case anyways and it has to be locked so it shouldn't matter. I just don't want to chance it. It only takes a couple seconds to take them off and put them back on.

Thumbs up broadheads

From what I know, it's not a problem. My cousin flew up in May for a bear hunt and he had his arrows all set up and ready to hunt inside of his bowcase. TSA at SEA/TAC checked his equipment and didn't say anything before he came up. When I dropped him off here, they didn't say anything either. TSA opened the case and swabbed it for explosives, asked how the hunt went and closed the case. This experience sounds pretty common from the guys who went through it or have witnessed it myself. Hope it helps...

Default just like a knife...

It's the same as putting a pocket knife in your checked baggage. As long as it is in with the checked luggage it is just fine (in the bow case, on the arrows, whatever).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Broad Heads In Carry On

Keelermk
    With your kean sense of the obivious I guess I can't pull any thing over on you.
    Next time you need some help shoot three arrows in the air and will come find you.
    DR B

Default No problem

I have flown out of AK and back several times with broadheads. No problems with the airlines at all.

BUT, since I had one bow string (no broadheads in the case) get cut somehow I pack pretty securley now. I place a piece of tape on each cutting edge and them wrap the set of broadheads in soft foam. Extra camo gets wrapped around the string and nestled around sights and other items to prevent movement.

Also buy the best bow case you can afford. A piano hinge along the hinged side and several locks on the front will help. I had one airline punch though a cheap plastic case so I bought a better one. Same thing on the better quality one, in one of the strongest places they punched a hole through again.

Best of luck!

Exclamation Wow sorry for trying to help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DR B
    Keelermk
    With your kean sense of the obivious I guess I can't pull any thing over on you.
    Next time you need some help shoot three arrows in the air and will come find you.
    DR B
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings! I was just trying to help the guy out and save him some headache. Also if your going to bash on someone here you may want use spell check seeing how (kean) is spelled k e e n and (obivious) is spelled o b v i o u s. That trick with three arrows sounds pretty cool, I've got one for ya come on by and hold an apple for me and we'll see were the arrows end up.

Thumbs up Here's an Idea

Quote Originally Posted by DR B
    Keelermk
    DR B
    Dr B,

Have you considered carrying them in your pockets? Anyone who would do that is probably not going to be considered a threat to anyone, and you'll know for sure you have them with you all the time.

No, not in your BACK pockets! Just put 'em in the front pockets and put some duct tape over your femoral artery area. You should be fine.

A more wimpy way would be to put them inside a smaller plastic case in your bow case. I don't believe the airlines will have a problem with that. You should call them though, or, better yet, look online at their contract of carriage and print it off for your reference. Some Customer Service Agents know their company regulations better than others (and some TSA agents!). Having a hard copy of the rules with you as you travel could help a lot. The Contract of Carriage should contain all the rules for your carrier on this stuff. In case you're flying Alaska Airlines, here's the link to their Contract of Carriage (the baggage part).

Good luck on your hunt!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

The airline doesn'r require you take the bullets out of your shells, why would they insist on taking the broadhead off your arrow. I've never had an issuw with the broadhead on the arrows which are in my bowcase inside a carrying case.

Default Spelling

Keelermk
    Thanks for the help with the spelling. I always appreciate the help of my smart friends. Could I send you a rough draft of all my post for you to proof read for me. I get so embarrassed and feal dumb when I make spelling mistakes and typos.

DR B

"I don't give a **** for a man that can only spell a word one way." -- Mark Twain