Thread: Trekking Poles & Ice Axes

Question Trekking Poles & Ice Axes

What brands and models are used most by forum members?

kingfisherktn

Thumbs up Poles....

We like the Leki Makalu anti-shock. They've seen the war and still work as new. We never hit the high country without 'em.
    We also have a pair of anti-shock Life-links that work pretty well too.

Frank
    Last edited by fullkurl; 09-03-2007 at 21:47. Reason: spell challenged

Frank:

Which Life-Links model?

thanks

kingfisherktn

I bought a pair of Black Diamonds with the slightly forward bend to the grips, and there locking extensions. I have a pair of REI twist lock and shock absorbers which are junk IMHO. While walking they *untwist* and collapse. The shock absorption only works sometimes and just adds weight. The BD's on the other hand are fantastic...paid the same price but worth 10X more IMHO.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Wink

Leki, Be sure to get the three section model! Much better adjustment range!!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Leki Poles

Leki poles are a great, I use mine a bunch; fishing, packing, snowshoeing, etc. I wanted it simple so I didn't buy the antishock style. Once in a while I have to clean the plastic locking devices at the section adjustment points to keep them working smoothly. I've had mine for 8-10 years and wouldn't hesitate buying another pair.

http://www.rei.com/product/750117

Woody

Default life links...

I read the pole and it reads: "Aide de camp" on demand antishock.
    Didnt see a number per se'.

The anti-shock mechanisim is what makes hiking poles so important, imho.
    Anyone who's used them and carried out a sheep or goat knows how that the spring action can help propel a person up and out of a tough spot, or how they help temper a quick careless stab in the shale.
    They are awesome.

Pic is Lifelinks in action... Wife and son had the Lekis...

Frank
    Last edited by fullkurl; 10-25-2008 at 00:15.

Default Frank

Thanks./

kingfisherktn

I have both the Leki extremes and the Black diamond poles. I added the flicklock option to the Leki's in 15 minutes and a beer. The Leki's have never broken. I've broken about everything on the Black Diamond Poles, at least you can buy the replacement parts for them.

I have several ice ax in the 70 cm size, having bought whatever is on sale at the time. I think the one I like the best is the Stubai, but its half dozen of one and half dozen of another for those things I think.

Default get fiberglass ski poles at the dump.

I would advise you to get some fiberglass ski poles at the dump or at a yard sale. They might not be as light or as nifty as lekis but you can use the money better elsewhere. upgrading in optics or packs.....

My opinion but you would be surprized how tough cross country ski poles are.
    You just find a pair right for your height and there you go.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Default SnowScopic

I use the Petzl SnowScopic ice axe/trekking pole combo that Barney's sells. I couldn't be happier.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

broke the leki's and have buddies with the telescoping snow scopic from barneys, they aren't that thrilled with then nd i use the walking axe from barneys, Glissade i think makes them and i prefer those over the walking poles, they work double great for clearing tent spots.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Leki Makalu's non-anti-shok poles, I've never used an ice ax so I can't recommend any.