Thread: Look Out For The Vessel "Retriever"

Angry Look Out For The Vessel "Retriever"

Fellow Hunters,
    I had a very troubling experience this weekend while hunting black bear in PWS. I arrived early in the week to establish our camp. After setting up camp in the treeline of a cove and marking the camp with a blue tarp, I anchored my boat in the cove and went ashore to begin my hunt. Opening day, numerous boats approached the cove to recreate and paid no attention to the fact that I was clearly hunting the beach. (I made positive visual contact with each boat via mirror flash/binoculars) After kindly asking some kayakers not to enter my field of fire, they proceeded to spread the word amongst the other boating parties in the cove. Soon after, my serene hunting paradise turned into a romper room of activity, with small boats motoring to shore and kids kayaking and screaming. Obviously they didn't like me hunting in what they assumed was "their beach" on Labor Day weekend. The most vocal and rude boaters were aboard "THE RETRIEVER", a 30-ish foot Osprey with an inflatable palm tree on the back deck (no, I'm not making that up). They were rafted up with a few other boats anchored way too close to my boat and cheered/hooped/hollered loudly to disrupt our wilderness experience. If you know these folks, please show them this post. Maybe they can explain how it is they have come to believe that my usage of PWS is not as important as theirs. I'm proud to risk my life fighting for the freedoms of people like this...I'd just like a little courtesy in exchange.

Default F&G

So why not turn them into the F&G Troopers for harassment.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Couldn't agree more!!

Quote Originally Posted by GREENFEET View Post
    I'm proud to risk my life fighting for the freedoms of people like this...I'd just like a little courtesy in exchange.
    Fresh back from Iraq myself I can relate to your feelings on this. I had about 500 bucks saved up for some new binocs and within a week of my return from downrange some punk broke my truck window out and took my GPS. Now I don't have a GPS and my window cost over $300 to fix so much for my new optics. It tears me up to think of how many flag draped soldiers I have saluted to ensure these people have their god given freedom only to come back home and see how they abuse it.

Default Report!

Greenfeet: Report them to the Troopers! You have the boat name so they can track them down. If you had other hunters with you have them write a statement with full names and addresses phone numbers.

If you don't report them, your silence is condoning their actions!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I avoid PWS weekends at all costs. Find a way to get there on the weekdays and you'll feel like you have the whole place to yourself. Really!!!

Default They were rude... but skirted the law

Probably because they knew the law, they were smart enough to disguise their actions with such a large group (there were 9 boats in the bay) and we were too busy glassing to take notes for legal action. Let me be perfectly clear- they never chased off bears from the beach, but probably detered bears from fishing in the stream we were stalking. They just made our experience less than civil, and they acted like children. I don't condone the behavior, I'm just smart enough not to get into a legal battle without video proof. Good luck out there guys, the bears are out!
    p.s. we weren't skunked...

There is a 31 foot Luhrs named "retriever" out of homer did you catch the home port on the boat? Just curious sometimes I get bored and the internet is fun...

With or without video evidence, you have a case if tried by 12 of your peers...

Tour operator, most likely from Outside, "impressing his clients" with his prowess vs. Alaskan doing what he does. Reasonable doubt falls somewhere beyond what we all see daily.

I'd persue this one.

Cool illegal?

doesnt the hunting regs say something like you cant knowingly harass a hunter or spook thier game knowingly. im sure something like that is in the regs. You should turn them in.

I didn't see anything in your post that says anyone intentionally interferred in your hunt other than being present in "your bay" and making lots of noise.

Maybe they were just some folks recently back from "fighting for the freedoms of people" that like to bear hunt, and were simply letting their hair down a little.

I have found it is easier to get away from the crowd than make the crowd get away from me.

My experience has been that people cannot resist the temptation to flock together. When they see a camp, from the air, water, road, trail or even in the deep woods, they almost always have to come closer and have a look/see. It is better to remain out of sight, rather than displaying a tarp or flag, to let them see where you are. A boat anchored is a dead give away, but usually they will simply pass by it and not stick around. Stealth mode is best, when camping. I don't know, if they need an audience or feel safe in a group setting, don't matter though, if you want to be left alone, you need to go to the extra effort of disquising your presence.

Sorry you had a bad weekend. From what you say it sounds like there is nothing Fish and Game will be able to do. There was no intent shown from what you say. If any thing lack of respect. What cove where you in? You did not go in Blackstone? Right?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Too close in...

If you were expecting a quite cove and hunt, you probably were way too close in to Whittier on a holiday weekend. From you post, it sounds like you were close in due to the number of kayaks and small boats roaming around.

First off, not everyone out there is going to automatically come to the conclusion that a shoreline camp means there is a hunter there looking for bears. It is common for boaters in Whittier to set up camps on the shore either because they have people who don't like to sleep on the boat or just don't have enough room on the boat to sleep everyone they brought out. As others have said, I would not assume that those people were intentionally trying to disrupt your hunt. I would have been more surprised if that flotilla of boats was QUITE than if they were making a fair amount of noise. Be happy it wasn't the 4th of July and everyone was shooting off fireworks like they do all the time out there.

I applaud you for your efforts to ensure that your line of fire remained clear.

Quote Originally Posted by GREENFEET View Post
    I'm proud to risk my life fighting for the freedoms of people like this...I'd just like a little courtesy in exchange.
    Whether you're military or not people should respect the area. However, in a public place like PWS you can't be too picky (especially on labor day weekend) about public traffic on public land. I think you'll save yourself some frustration next time if you try get off the beaten path a ways. Sounds like your hunt was a success, though, so it can't be all hard feelings?