Thread: anybody bow hunt ducks on the haul

Default anybody bow hunt ducks on the haul

was wandering if anyone has ever had any luck shooting ducks and geese on the dalton while caribou hunting if so what time of year ie sept early oct how far from the road how far past the pass

Ive bow hunted Ptarmigan up there but not Ducks or Geese.ANd the one time I had my bow all packed up and was returning home I spotted a banded bird and I was fighting to get my bow out only to have the birds get skittish and take off.Daniel

I'm not sure it's legal to shoot them with a bow
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

i didnt think it was legal either but i looked in the regs and the only thing i saw was, that it was illegal to take them with crossbows.

It might be a federal law.

Just like electronic device IE game caller is not in the state reg, but it is in the federal regs
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Bow and arrows?

There is the whole list of weapons and ways to get birds. Bow and arrow aren't on there. Somewhere, Cabela's I think, has a bird getter arrowhead. IT has 4 small loops of wire on it to grab a birds head or wrap up a wing I guess. I have thought about trying it. Legal yes, Difficult-extremely.

I don't have the regulations in front of me, but you can take ducks with the bow, e.g. Finger Lakes in Palmer is bow-only for waterfowl. As long as you have your license and Fed and State stamps, you should be okay; but you'll have to check the regs for yourself.

BTW, I would use a recurve or long bow rather than a compound. I would also use flu-flu arrows or you'll be chasing your arrows a long way. I personally use a broadhead with the wires (I do not bring my dog when I'm using this set up -- broadheads and dog's mouth don't mix). Make sure when you get your flu-flus that they are longer than your regular hunting arrows - you want the wire out in front of you riser.

I've seen a broadhead called the "gobbler guillotine" that might be good for ducks, but only if you shoot them on the water.

i dont think it is a fed reg, tred barta smacked a mallard and a goose with his bow on tv