Thread: Dm788

Default Dm788

I was up in Fairbanks this weekend looking for a cow moose. Hot, dusty, leaves still on the trees and when did Fairbanks grow so big? Lots of the old hunting areas have $150,000 homes on them or housing tracks.

Will wait a few weeks now.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave I'll keep an eye out for ya and let you know where Ive seen any cows hanging around.Daniel

Default Appreciate it

I appreciate it. Place sure has grown up.

Thanks.

Dave

I'll be up there at the end of next week looking for the same. Hopefully we'll see something. I have never been to Fairbanks, so I won't be able to say that things have changed so much. Good luck!!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I was up in Fairbanks this weekend looking for a cow moose. Hot, dusty, leaves still on the trees and when did Fairbanks grow so big? Lots of the old hunting areas have $150,000 homes on them or housing tracks.

Dave, have you ever seen the movie, while you were sleeping? LOL
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Going up in October

I am going to go after mine in early October when I don't have to fight with the tag hunters. Figure it will help to spread people out some more. Not to mention, with the shorter days, I can sleep in and still be out hunting by first light .

Default October

I did that one year too. I put my coffee water on the floor of the camper and with the heater running, it frooze over. No wonder I was cold!

But this year I have a friend with a nice warm house ;D

Dave,Ive had a cow over here by the house and she was hit yesterday morning on Badger
    I have also seen one 2 days in a row at another spot,but you cant hunt there either
    Im trying to keep an eye out for ya,but when you get ready to come up here PM me or call me and we'll figure out where you need to go.Daniel

How many of you guys are looking for for cows across the river in 20A? I'm trying not to act like it's "my spot", but ever since they opened that cow hunt we've had tons of people expecting to see a moose behind every bush. It just isn't like that! There are not as many moose as people think there are, and after five years of this antlerless hunt, there have been many, many animals taken. It's been real easy to see the population decline year after year. I trust our fish & game, but during times like these it's hard not to be skeptical. I shot a cow a couple years back, and doubt I'll do it again. I'm not trying to drive people away, but don't be surprised if your hunt doesn't meet your expectations.

-Eric

Default Dm788

The DM788 borders on the Tanana. You have to hunt north of the river.

Dave,

Definatly different in the past couple of years eh!

You know where I took you while I was working......that is where I'd be! There is another place I'd keep a hot look out for, I took you there also.

As for the rest of the unit, though there are moose around, this once coveted fill the freezer tag is not worth putting in for anymore imho! The only nice thing is the long season allowed now.

This unit WILL grow in the years to come as fairbanks keeps on swallowing up land. It seems the local non hunter and other then bowhunting public is keeping us from allowing this area to grow.

Lastly, I know of another way to hunt this tag that seems under utilized. It also leaves you another opportunity to nab a moose. That in itself should be enough. My Dad is down here in southeast with me till tomorrow evening. After that I'll be wide open to point ya to this other "hunt" I'm mentioning. I'm thinking of hitting the ferry north to juneau and haines on the 14th so wont be in contact from there to oh, the 16th or so as I believe there is a layover in juneau. You've got my email.

Default TradBow

Thanks for the reply. Next time up the canoe is following and I am going to the main place I hunted last year. I actually saw 2 bulls in there, one broadside at 9 yards. I tried to erase the spike/forks from his head and make him a cow but could not. Had one cow at 30 yards, easly shot except just enough twigs to make it unethical to try a shot.

Don't worry, I will be back up for more chances when the leaves fall.

The DM788 borders on the Tanana. You have to hunt north of the river.
    Yeah thats the drawing permit for 20B. I was talking about the registration hunt for 20A. I was looking at a post from another member and had thought he was talking about 20A. I was just really surprised at the amount of hunters at the Chena Pump campground on august 25, when the hunt started. There were so many trucks and boats that people had to park out on chena pump and up the hill. Felt like it was gonna be combat hunting. Luckily I live on the chena so I didn't have to deal with that mess. My buddy wanted a moose so we ended up going that morning to some of my favorite spots without seeign a single animal. I've also been driving aorund town trying to scout out some bulls, but no luck. I haven't been seeing many cows either.

When I wrote that post I was feeling pretty down about the lack of moose, and was getting fed up with hearing people talk about the lousy hunting across the river (none of that talk going on in this forum).

Anyway, good luck to everyone this year.

-Eric

Default i got your cow tied up.

hey dave send me a pm i can help you find a cow in about 30 mins. she keeps eating my flowers

Dave there isnt a new construction home in our area for $150,000, its more like $250,000-$300,000. Thats the going rate for all the new construction homes up here. Most of the locals that fill the cow tag you have do right in the neighborhoods in Fairbanks and North Pole in between houses, literally. Good luck when you head back up.

Hey Dave,

Becareful on badger slough (heard through the grapevine you were going to float it). Lots of private land, mostly unmarked. Hate to hear about the fella who killed a moose who died in the lil ole lady's back yard.

Default Trad

Scouted it last time up and yes Badger Slough is basically hunting in someones yard. Thanks