Thread: 300 ultra mag, bullet

Default 300 ultra mag, bullet

i have been shooting the 180 grain sirroco's shoot well. seem to have consistency trouble at longer ranges. i have heard good things about the federal barnes triple x bullets. was wondering on any info on the best all around hunting bullet that will hold together and kill. at long distances and shoot well. thanks

Default 300 Rum

Barnes XXX and RL 25 for 180 gr, RL 22 or IMR 7828 for 168 gr expect 3200 to 3350 with 180 gr and less than MOA, 3300 to 3400 with 168 gr and better accuracy than the 180's. Also get 5 shot one hole groups with Ramshot Mag and essentially same vel. Have not shot or shot at any game > 500 yds but excellent accuracy out to 400+ yds.

Talking Scirroco's

What kind of problems are you experiencing? I've had good performance from the 180 Scirroco. Took my browny this year at 420 yds no problem. Grant it that's not 'long' range by any means but still the bullet hit right on target, pass through both lungs and the end of one bear.

These bullets shoot under .5 moa.

Most everything you read about them lists them as one of the top long range bullets for hunting out of the 300 RUM.

What's your load?
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

I have killed a moose at about 400 yds with the scirrocos, but haven't shot at paper to see what they are doing. I have since abandoned factory loads due to pricing. I have had good luck with the barnes TSXs (180 grain), but I haven't tested them out past 200 yards. I really like the TSXs. I don't think I will go back to lead core bullets for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge View Post
    Took my browny this year at 420 yds no problem. Grant it that's not 'long' range by any means
    Seems long to me, particularly on a BB! Most every expert I've read or heard have said that dangerous game (including Brown Bear) shouldn't be shot at over 200 yds. Just too many variables to be worth the risk of wounding a bear that may need to be rooted out of thick stuff to finish off. Nice shot though!

Dave