Thread: Knik sheep

Default Knik sheep

looking at the regs it would aperar that the hunter creek area is a drawing permit area but that north of the river/glacier is harvest. I have a buddy that owns property along kinik river road and we used to hike into hunter creek even after the guy blocked the access with his cattle lease. We just went strait over the top of the mountain behind my friends property. That area is amazing even just to go and take pics now I am one of the few that has access!
    Any one have any info on the hunting on the north side of knik? I love the mountains and am planning to ride an ATV as far back as I can get then hike. Is that area over preasured? I am hoping that I am willing to hike farther than all but the most diehard. Any recomedations would be greatly appreciated! I am looking at the last week of the season. Possibly a solo hunt if my cousin cant get off work.

Default Knik

ALL of 14c, not just the park, is a draw hunt for sheep, so even behind Lake George requires the permit. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by driveacub View Post
    ALL of 14c, not just the park, is a draw hunt for sheep, so even behind Lake George requires the permit. Sorry.
    Sounds to me like he's asking about the north side of the Knik River which is 14A and open harvest for full curl rams till sept 20. There are a lot of sheep up there and I don't think the pressure is all that great from this side. While an atv will get you to the base of the mountains all over up there none of the trails UP between Friday Creek and the Glacier go very far. The trail UP at Metal Creek goes back 8 miles and might be a good spot to start. But there are plenty of places before that to hike up and over them Mtns.

Thats the way I read the regs as well on 14C. I am actually talking about the north side of Knik which is 14A and should be harvest at least until next year. I am under the understanding that that area is going to be a trophy management drawing system next year... Sad more money for the guides less opportunity for the rest of us. I just want a tasty legal sheep but 40" sheep are what brings the big money to the state

thanks DWS I was looking at Metal creek just because it puts my atv farther from jims creek. in my experiance the thieves don't push as far in as the hunters so every mile I am off the beaten path before I leave the ATV to start hiking adds to alot of insurance! Thanks for the input looks like I have another couple weeks to stare at topo maps!

Default 73 Sheep

I just got done counting them from the Hunter Creek side. There's tons of them! Also glassed a HUGE blackie on the ridge behind your friends' place. I also know someone out there that has direct access to the river and hunter creek...

Take your ATV up to Friday creek (just past Jim creek a ways) and then you can begin your hike. Drive on the south side of the river first to glass where they are so you have a better strategy for your ascent... good luck.

Thanks!! Can't wait too get up there. I will probably go out a couple days before with the wife and jeep to scout from the south side and sight in my 7mm. She hasnt seen me since the 9th of january but she seems to understand my need to get back in the mountains as soon as I get back. The least I can do is take her out on a scoutng/sight-in trip so she knows where I will be.

About that blackie it's been 8 years since I have been back in there but there was a monster that wondered around that area then. My buddies neighbor built his cabin in the middle of a big blueberry patch that used to be his regular feeding area. Maybe the same bear or one of his kids. We used to sit in hunter creek valley and watch the blackies stalk the young sheep. Had one try and stalk us untill he finally caught our scent and took off. Never did get close to one that was big enough to be worth the hike out!

I watch them all the time and have for years and years. They hang out from Wolf Point and then up river for 5 miles on the mountain. The most I counted at one time was 121. Might have been some goats included You're wasting your time if you go past Wolf Point to start your climb. They can see you going up everywhere else past WP and will be 10 mountains away by the time you get to the top. Forget Metal creek mine trail thats 15 miles further upriver. Just park your atv in the trees away from any trails and camo it with branches, before WP. Head up and get on that ridge to walk east and hopefully put yourself in and above them. Camp out for a couple days up top and you might find a full curl.

Default knik

I guess what confused me as to the area he was asking about was that he mentioned the Knik River road as the place where his access came from and that goes up the right side of the Knik river and crosses Hunter creek which he also mentioned. Friday and Metal are in 14 A and that receives its full share of pressure from hunters...

Well just finished my last day in Florida and to my delight pretty much fished Tampa bay out. Caught my limit of Red Drum and more Speckled Trout than anyone needs as well as just about every other species of fish in the bay. Finally after over 7 months in Iraq and and 3 weeks stuck down here I fly back to alaska to join my family and meet my 6 month old son! I can't wait and if all goes to plan I will be able to just fit my sheep hunt in before the season closes. If anyone has any recomendations on the best plan of action for a 14A sheep hunt north of knik or anywhere else in the mat-su valley for that matter i would rally appreciate it I havn't spent any decent time in the state for 8 years and can't wait to get some alone time in the mountains! Oh well I am finally unemployed an on my way home Honorable discharge in hand! THANKS!
    -Jon

Default Congrats and Thank YOU!

For your service. Welcome home Jon. You are appreciated and I hope that your hunts bring you your rewards that you've earned.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Friday/Metal creek

Flew and hunted the area last year. Saw no legal sheep in grasshopper/metal creek and a handful in Friday ck (lots of goats though). Unfortunately, there were super cubs everywhere- like 4 cubs on the 2 strips up friday ck. Heard most were guided hunters from fish & game in Palmer- F&G actually confiscated a sheep from one guide in the drainage- again this is info from '06.

Just picked up a new A-bolt stainless synthetic 325 WSM with a leupold 3-9x40. I am going to take it out and put it through its paces tomorow. I have 200gr accubonds but may switch rounds if anyone has another recomendation. With the report from 06 I might have to make a stop in palmer and pick up a goat permit. Thanks for all the good information
    -Jon