Thread: 336 marlin to 358 winchester

Default 336 marlin to 358 winchester

336 Marlin lever in 358 Winchester - yes 358!!! I found the info I was looking for on this, if the link doesnt work go to Whelans northwoods page he has a lot of info there on the 35 calibers.

Default Interesting...

I had to read the article to understand what was going on...my first impulse was to mention that perhaps a better way to go would be to rechamber to the .356 (!) Winchester. Same case with a rim the size of the .30-30. I just happened to have come across five boxes of Winchester factory loads for the .356 today, and another shop with perhaps a thousand rounds of new unprimed .307 brass that could be formed to .356 in the same manner as making .358 from .308....
    In this region, .35 Remington rifles in ANY configuration are scarce. I have a friend in Cheyenne who has a Marlin factory chambered to .356, and I couldn't talk him out of that rifle to save my neck.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have approximately 36 boxes of the 356 Winchester factory ammo of which 29 of them are the no longer made 250 grain loads.

Default Allen, I'll have to check...

These .356 WW boxes were sun-faded, but still legible. I couldn't swear that these were 250's, but it's worth a look-see. At $29.95 a box, I can understand why they're not flyin' off the shelf...
    With that much on hand, I've got to assume you have some experience with the round. If so, what did you think of it? I can get my hands on a nice 336 that would make a dandy conversion!

I gotta say that conversion to 358 in the Marlin kinda *****les at the back of my neck, mostly through concern about finding suitable bullets. All three of my 358's have stack magazines rather than tubes, so I have the freedom to use just about any bullet I want, including Partitions. My Marlin in 35 Remington on the other hand, has a pretty narrow selection of bullets. Love the Marlin, love the 358 in all rifles I've tried it in, but the extra velocity you get from it would be pretty well traded off against using some pretty wimpy bullets in order to use it in the tube magazine of the Marlin.

I have the same concern about the 356 once original factory rounds are consumed. What bullet are you going to use? Do I recall that some of models of Winchesters relied on a magazine modified so rounds in the tube wouldn't lie point to primer? You'll be playing the bullet game in a Winchester as well as Marlin if the mags won't allow a wide selection of bullets.

The 180 and 220 grain Speer are the only true FN rifle bullets (as opposed to handgun bullets) that I know of, and they will work fine if you like that bullet (and I do). Hornady's newer 200 and 250 grain RN's might work, but they have always looked a little "pointy" compared to the older versions for me to be comfortable with them in my 35 Marlin. I've got a large hoard of Remington 200 grain RN's that work great in the 35 Remington, but they have proved a bit tender for my taste in the 358 or anything faster. The 200 grain Sierra RN is a lot more tender than either the Hornady or the Remington.

Having said all that, there's a dandy bullet out there for plinking and even close range deer hunting with just about anything in 35 caliber. It's the 200 grain FNGC cast from RCBS moulds. I've cast it for years and loaded it in everything from 357 Mag (in a Contender) up through 35 Whelen and once for a 358 Norma, and it shoots like a house afire in all of them. Cast from #2 alloy and launched at around 1700 fps it really whacks deer. Cast it harder, and you can push velocities up quite a bit.

Great rounds the 358 and 356 and great rifle the Marlins and Winchesters, but happy and long marriages require good cookin. Whichever route you go, be sure that you can and always will have the ingredients to cook up good loads for them.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

The 356, 307 and 375 Winchester rounds will be around for a long time to come. These are some of the ammo that Winchester makes a small run of about every other year or so, just like the 225 Winchester ammo. I have a real nice little Winchester 94AE in 356 and it is a dandy little rifle for carrying through the brush. The 356 cartridge itself is not far off the mark of equaling the 358 Winchester. But as stated, it comes in a tube fed magazine so bullet selection is limited. The good thing about the limited bullet selection is that they are all good bullets. 158 or 180 grain pistol bullets for varmints and then the 220 grains for bigger game. I also have some 210 grain cast bullets that I load and shoot. I also have some 307 Winchester factory ammo but no rifle to shoot it in. Just going to have to keep looking for one I suppose.

Although the 336 Marlin has been chambered in 356, 307 and 375 Winchester from the factory, I would be a little hesitant about rechambering a 35 remington to the 356.

I have a winchester 356 and I love it. I shoot only the 220 fn made by speer and have taken lots of deer and a couple of bear with it. If I remember right my RCBS dies say356/358. Great gun you would enjoy one.