Thread: Russian River beads.

Default Russian River beads.

I'm heading down tomorrow and was wondering what bead color is working right now?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

try root beer
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default beads

Try any color that is matching what is coming out the tail end of the spawning salmon. Most shades of orange will do, I save the root beer for after I am done fishing.

Rootbeer beads match any shade of egg and by far outfishes any other color for me on the russian, orange not so much, especially clearish orange, washed out orange can be great though, 6 mm beads on the russian for sure...

Default rootbear on the kenai

how does rootbeer do on the kenai?

in my experience with the rootbeer color, it works better later in the year. probably right about now. But ive only used it twice, orange and red colors work just fine on the kenai. Pink in the monring always does good for me also.

Because I don't have a boat I never really fish the kenai so I don't know, what I do know is that rootbeer beads have caught me fish from Kodiak to Clear Creek from mid July to Mid August better than any other bead in my box by a long shot. Once the (russian/ kenai) river gets full of eggs I switch to a nymph so I might actually get a fish to strike, I've seen a lot of fish so freaking full they won't move for a bead but throw a size 14 prince nymoh out there and bam!

hate to break it to you, but i'm pretty sure beads are against the regulations on the russian river.... if i remember correctly. check for yourself
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Beads are allowed this time of year. It is when it is fly fish only that you can't use a bead that is not attached to the fly (6/11 to 8/20 is flyfish only). As AKPM has stated before, melting them on a hook makes it legal during that time.

Here is the Regulations link.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/reghome.cfm

Default Root beer beads

akPowdermonkey i disagree with you...I have fished all sorts of beads on the russian and i have done better with beads other than rootbeer...it all depends on the fish and the flyfisherman and you still need practice.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Quote Originally Posted by AK Trout View Post
    akPowdermonkey i disagree with you...I have fished all sorts of beads on the russian and i have done better with beads other than rootbeer...it all depends on the fish and the flyfisherman and you still need practice.
    Yup I gotta practice because 20 fish days just don't count as good days anymore...

hahaha....man your still only getting that many? I thought by now we would have you schooled up on the fishing by now..back to the drawing board?

The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default ****

take me to the drawing board, i have good days, but no 20 rainbows a day kinda days.... tell me what im doing wrong haha or atleast wat your doing

liv2fsh...send me a pm and tell me what your doin and I caan give ya a few pointers

I was down on the russian on friday 9/28 and didnt catch a single trout. I did land a nice bright silver though. But other then that, 7 hours of fishing and no catching. I tried every bead in my box but nothing worked. Anybody else down there this weekend?