Well, I went up the Ivashak last Sat. afternoon with hope to find good water and bou. First of all, the boat launch is low, but I took the Ugly duck Zodiak loaded with gear, a buddy and me. It was no problem going up. We camped on the left side just before the bluffs (17.5 river miles) and only saw a cow the first day. The next day, we figured we would go up river since the water was so good. We made it up 20 river miles from camp. 20.6 miles from pump 2 as the crow flies. All the stories about low water isn't exactly right. Yes the water is low, but it's all concentrated into one main channel. Pretty deep most of the time too. Anyway, we were almost to the sheep camp near the mountains and only saw one lone bull so far away, we would have needed 2 lunches to reach him. We floated and spotted all the way back down and did the same the rest of the week with no luck at all. We finally pulled out Thursday afternoon and headed for Toolick. Large herd there with several big bulls. Put a stalk on 3 and only got to 91 yards before being busted. One stalk in a week was better than none. Very fun trip as it is evey year, can't wait for next year. I hope you guys going up next have better luck than we did. Don't be afraid to run the river, just make sure you can read the water. We also hiked up the Eechooka a few miles and didn't see anything. The airboats were running up 9 miles or so wiht no luck at all too.
We saw tons of Muskox, 2 cows, 1 lone bull miles away, and a beautiful black fox 2 days too early.
Good Luck to all. Now off to hunt moose......