Thread: Late Season Hunt!!

Default Late Season Hunt!!

Redeploying from Iraq in mid November and looking for any information on some late season hunts. Saw some footprints about the 40 mile caribou and I was also told that a Kodiak deer hunt would be pretty good.

Any clues to getting started would be appreciated greatly! Doug

Default Deer

Tracker,

If it were me, I'd take a look at that deer hunt, either on Kodiak or one of the islands in Prince William Sound- Montague is a popular one that can be accessed via charterboat out of Seward. I haven't looked at that in a while, but it might be cheaper than a fly-out Kodiak hunt. There are other possibilities for deer out of Whittier, but I'm not as familiar with that.

Good luck!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Anyone familiar with the whittier hunt that mike talked about? It'll just be nice to hunt something and enjoy the outdoors and break in this new 7mm!!

Perry Island is a somewhat popular spot and fairly close to Whittier. Maybe 45 minutes out or so by boat. It's not a very large island but it's definitely a blast to go and try. It holds deer but they can be hard to find. It gets hunted somewhat frequently because of it's convenience. You can also get to Montegue from Whittier with an experienced boater. Closer to a 3 hour trip though.

Quote Originally Posted by aknater View Post
    Perry Island is a somewhat popular spot and fairly close to Whittier. Maybe 45 minutes out or so by boat. It's not a very large island but it's definitely a blast to go and try. It holds deer but they can be hard to find. It gets hunted somewhat frequently because of it's convenience. You can also get to Montegue from Whittier with an experienced boater. Closer to a 3 hour trip though.
    Blacktails are thick-brush spooky deer and don't have circle-back habits like whitetail deer. That's what makes them fun to hunt ...the challenge. And personally, I think that blacktails make fine eating too. I love'm.

Brian

Default or you can go north

to unit 20a for a moose. If I remember correctly, they have an open season for a register hunt for antlerless until February 28th. (shouldn't that be the 29th because next year is a leap year?)

Nevermind, I just checked... there's an emergency order that just put a halt to it but the good news is that other moose are still open until then... here's the link to the EO closure of antlerless moose in Unit 20a http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...7/02-03-07.pdf