Thread: VP 280 outdrive Q's

Default VP 280 outdrive Q's

ok, i finally got my boat running pretty good. after a complete fuel system overhaul. the boat is a 1983 sportsman cuddy, with a Volvo Penta 145a engine, and a 280 outdrive.

problem is, it runs too hot for my liking when water is running through the bunny ears on the outdrive. but when i take the outdrive out of the equation, it runs nice and cool. i believe there is an impeller in the lower unit, but i dont know where it is.

duh. maybe the lower unit impeller only turns/sucks water if the prop is engaged?

any advice would be appreciated, thanks,

jed

are there any boat mechanics on this forum ?

The Volvos came with an external seawater pump, connected to the engine front drive pulley.

They also came with 2 ways to draw water(sometimes), one was thru the outdrive the second was thru the hull. So leaving the thru hull fitting open would cause the engine to run hot as it would be lacking water.

Here is the link for the 280 on the Volvo site
    http://www.volvopentastore.com/Cooli..._type.category

I am a shade tree/self employed marine mechanic/electrician when needed. I do it for making mad money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    So leaving the thru hull fitting open would cause the engine to run hot as it would be lacking water.
    I think you meant 'closed.' As in, leaving the thru hull closed would cause the engine to run hot.

from what i have read, there are two pumps on this motor. one for the antifreeze for the heater, and one for the sea water. both are mounted to the front of the engine.

i have also learned that sometimes the exhaust heat exchanger can get plugged up with rust and whatnot. or the sea water impeller on the front of the engine can get old and brittle.

by plumbing the garden hose into the tube at the back of the motor, the engine stays relatively cool. that would lead me to believe that the lower unit is plugged/clogged. or maybe the heat exchanger is clogged also. hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I think you meant 'closed.' As in, leaving the thru hull closed would cause the engine to run hot.

No actually this is a case of being open is bad.....you hookup the water ears to the outdrive pickup and forget to close the the thru hull fitting your water from the Out Drive drains out through the thru hull pickup. The pump still pushes some water thru but not enough to keep it cool.

JMH,
    So disconnecting the hose in the engine compartment solves the cooling issue???

If it does then yes there is a good possibilty of a plugged intake or you could be collapsing a hose, or it still could be the impeller on your raw water pump. The intake hose may no longer have the wire inside to keep it rigid.

You only have one hose running to the raw water pump? Not a second one "T" in going to a thru hull strainer?

PM me and I see about time to take a look see.....no charge

Default Get a stick, whittle it down..

On my Volvo duo prop outdrive, there is a pretty good sized hole on the bottom of the skag. The mechanic at "In Demand Marine" showed me how much water runs out of it if not plugged. His rabbit ears have 3 different sizes of pegs tied on a string so he can plug different outdrive holes.

Mine is almost directly below the water intakes on the keel of the outdrive. I never knew it was there. If yours has this hole, plugging it will get a lot more water to the pump and maybe do a better cooling job.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

mine does have that little hole just below the intake.

when i had the garden hose plugged in to the ears, i noticed a bunch of water coming out of the hole, and from around the ears.

behind the engine, there is a steel pipe, with a rubber hose coming off of it. when hooked up, it kinda looks a little bit kinked. that is where i 'plumbed' the garden hose after the first time it got too hot. i didnt notice any T. but wasnt really looking for it either. will look at it more tomorrow.

rubber isnt supposed to smoke right? lol

so, is this little hole supposed to be plugged all the time? i didnt see any threads for a plug, so i thought it was supposed to be open.

Plug the hole...kinda of the same deal with a thru hull fitting. You are draining about 50% of your water off instead of getting it to your motor.

As far as the thru hull fitting. Look under the boat, about the same area as the engine compartment. A brass pickup for a thru hull fitting will get you in the right direction to see if you are double feeding the raw water pump.

This was being done by dealers, back when, to help cool engines with fresh water cooling. The theory was that not enough water was being pulled thru the outdrive to provide sufficent cooling. On some MercCruisers they still recomend a second water pickup for fresh water cooling even today. Here in Alaska with our cooler water temps it is not an absolute neccessity but can be nice when you wrap kelp around the outdrive or if you run some of the warmer lakes.

so, should the little hole be plugged when under way as well? and, im pretty sure i dont have a secondary pickup. the only other hole in the boat is the drain.

thanks for all the advice by the way, i appreciate it.

jed

I PM'ed you.

pm replied.

just took the cover to the raw water pump off, and turned the motor over, guess what.

the brass bushing that the impeller is glued to spun freely. the impeller did not move at all.

that, and the kinked hose i think were the problem. i took one of the plugs out of the heat exchanger/exhaust manifold, and it didnt look very clogged at all. i also ran water backwards through the outdrive, and there are no clogs.

Looks like you may have located your problem.......Odie's marine should have what you need in stock. Sounds like the impeller may have been frozen to the housing somewhere along the way.
    Last edited by Dupont Spinner; 09-06-2007 at 12:15. Reason: spelling

the boat did sit for a couple years being unused. the previous owner said he winterized it before he parked it.

Sounds like you are starting to make progress. Keep at it! Don't you just love toys?

odies marine has the part. 42 bucks. hopefully i dont run into any other problems. i do know i have to drain the gas tank, i was lookin down the carbs, and found a bunch of water. no biggie, that is to be suspected with a boat that sit for so long out in the weather.

is there anything else i should look for while im at it? anything else that would just go bad from sitting for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    is there anything else i should look for while im at it? anything else that would just go bad from sitting for a while?
    exhaust manifolds and risers
    exhaust and input shaft bellows
    carbs
    cylinder walls
    fuel lines
    diaphragm in fuel pump
    oil pan rust through
    distributor cap and rotor

Well, that's a start.

is it bad that my rubber exhaust hose has a small hole in it? its on the outside of the boat, just before it connects to the outdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    is it bad that my rubber exhaust hose has a small hole in it? its on the outside of the boat, just before it connects to the outdrive.
    Exhaust side if you are sure is ok to run temporary....like an emergency. Depending where the hole is it could get bigger and burn something else.