Thread: Speed Dip

Default Speed Dip

Anybody have any ideas on speed dip instead of logwood crystals and wax?

Jim, I've never used it, but I've heard that it smells like fuel. Logwood crystals work good.

Speed dip is mixed with fuel before dipping the traps. I have tried it and the fuel smell does go away once the traps dry. It is easier, due to the fact you do not have to boil anything. I also prefer using logwood crystals. Try both and see which one suits you!!

Happy Trappin'

Default trap dye

Both speed dip and logwood crystals work well. The only difference is that speed dip is a lot faster and that it has to be relatively warm out to apply it.
    Log wood crystals require that you boil water and add the crystals.
    It is important that the traps have a light coat of rust on them so that the die will adhere to them.
    Good luck.

Default speed dip

Ive used it but didnt like it. It dosnt penitrate the metal like logwood. Mine peeled off like dried glue with heavy use. Hillbilly

I have used it, it's OK it didn't seem to penetrate well. I use a mix of spruce and alder bark. Traps are more a dark gray to medium gray works for me.
    Chuck

I have used speed dip for many seasons and have had great luck with it .
    I have found that if you boil your traps first and while there still hot dip them in the speed dip it makes the dye adhere to the trap better

I just have a problem using anything petro based. Hey just go to the wood ans get some bark and boil it you will be suprised how well it does and best of all it is FREE. Jim I am also in Delta.

Hot

Have to agree with hotcity. I have always just used spruce bark and small branches to cook my traps. Turns them dark. I wax after this. I,m in big Delta. Happy trails.

I have used speed dip for the past 4 seasons now, it really takes the hassle out of dying traps, with logwood crystals, I have had to re-dye and wax the traps at seasons end, with the speed dip just dip them and they'll last 2-3 seasons without re-dipping, just hose em off, hang them to dry and put them in the wood shed, iffin you use the coleman fuel versus the gasoline, they dry in about 1-2 days, versus 5 days with the gas, has no odor that I can detect, and have caught many a fox, yote and wolves using it,....I like to keep it simple.

AKtrpr