Thread: Remington 7MM Mag

Default Remington 7MM Mag

I'm currently deployed to Iraq and my wife just bought me a Remington 7MM Mag for a gift upon redeployment Oct/Nov timeframe. Is this to small of a caliber to Brown Bear hunt or will it be sufficient?

Thanks.

Any 7mm lovers out there? I'm a die hard 06 guy but due to relocating to Alaska to live the remaining years of my life, I figured I'd have to upscale my equipment to match the size of the wild life. Any suggestions or opinions?

Default 7mm Rem. Mag.

Tracker,

I own the exact same caliber- mine is a Ruger M77. It has killed moose, caribou, black bear, Dall sheep, goat, elk and many deer. But the short story is that I would never use it for brown / grizzly bear. I am certain you could kill one with it, but it's just not big enough to consistently put a bear down. That's my opinion.

If it were me, and I was planning on being in Alaska a while, I'd trade up to something larger. My personal favorite is the .375 H&H magnum. This rifle has the added bonus of being a recommended caliber for an Africa hunt, should you get bitten by that particular bug.

More importantly, I want to thank you for your service to our country, and to the people of Iraq. I am not in the military, however I salute you, sir. Come back safe and soon.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Have brown bears been taken with a 7mm Rem Mag? Yes, but I would recommend heavy 175 grain accubond or other quality, heavy bullet. I, personally stay away from Partitions. I have one, use it on everything up here but the 30.06 with heavier bullets may be a better brown bear choice.

Default Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Have brown bears been taken with a 7mm Rem Mag? Yes, but I would recommend heavy 175 grain accubond or other quality, heavy bullet. I, personally stay away from Partitions. I have one, use it on everything up here but the 30.06 with heavier bullets may be a better brown bear choice.
    Bill, the nice thing about the '06 is the huge selection you have in the ammunition department. I believe it comes as close to being the ultimate caliber as anything does. You make an excellent point.

In my situation, I already have the .375, so I grab that when I head out. But if I were starting out and had time to really become familiar with the rifle, and especially if I was going to be a one-gun man, and was only going to be in Alaska a little while, I'd take a look at that 30.06 for sure.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for your opinion and assistance. I enjoy what I do but won't lie and can honestly tell you that I'm a little envious right now reading about everyone hunting something a whole lot different than whats available over here. I guess at least the brown bear don't shoot back even if I am a litle light in the caliber...haha.. Always good to obtain new toys.... Wife will love that! Doug

...no, but wounded griz/BB have on occasion be known to bite back.

Default Enough Gun

I had the misfortune of looking in the brush for 3 wounded bears this year. NOT something I recommend. Bears are incredibly hard to stop. As said before over and over many guns will kill them, the trick is to inflict so much damage and shock that you stop them within your sight. Allot can be said about shock and awe when it comes to bears. I shoot until they stop moving then shoot some more. With this said it is probably something you will learn on your own. Good luck and be safe. I looked for this bear for over 8 hours and she never left the open field. She just got out of our sight. I almost tripped over her looking for a blood trail. The boar tried to come after us on only his front two legs. Both shot thru the boiler room.

Steve

Thumbs down 7mm Mag

Great cal for most of the game in Alaska.......but for the big stuff I draw the line @ .308 dia bullets or bigger. I prefer the 338 Win with 225gr Nosler AB or TSX.

The 7mm Mag with 160AB makes a excellent elk and sheep/caribou rifle.....in a pinch if using the right bullet 160 TSX it will work on the big bears.

The 30-06 with 180 TSX is a better choice for the big bears if you need a non mag. rifle.
    Alaska

Your wife bought you a great gun! Not a bear gun, but a great gun! I loved my 7mm for deer.

Maybe after your tour is up you can buy a gun cabinet... then, she can fill it for you with some other great guns!

You are lucky to have a gun buying wife... We are lucky that you are out there in service to our country... and, at least one brown bear is lucky (for the moment).

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Tracker21:
    Thank You, for your service to our country.

While conventional opinon, (nowadays) is that you need some big caliber for bear hunting, I'm of the opinion that a 7mm Mag is plenty gun for bear if you use a heavy bullet.

I hunt with 7 mags. and handload 160 grain Noslers, mainly because I might run into a bear. The reason being to insure adequate penetration. Federal loads them in factory loads, too.

I've shot caribou, and seen'em drop, then had to look hard to find'em. Such is the terrain in the Greatland.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I love my 7mm though I am planning on going to a 325WSM when I can afford a kimber. I shoot custom loaded 160gr barnes X and have watched 2 caribou fall flat out to 200 yards. Even the poor shot in the paunch droped it in its tracks. I would not hesitate to shoot a moose with it and would shoot a griz if the right opportunity presented itself but then again my cousin is usualy with me and he carries a 45-70. My cousins wife just killed a moose with a 243! She actualy shot it in the head at 100yds. That said if I was going for brownies as a primary target I would lean toward a 338 or 375.

Default Great Gun

I had the exact same rifle and sold it before hunting season to buy a .300 win mag. Opinions are going to abound in this thread so please consider this as my opinion...

.300 win mag is THE most universal rifle for Alaska. from wolf to grizz, you just can't beat the versatility in loads and game selection. I would, in confidence, go after a brownie with my .300 but would not with my old 7 mag. Just my own personal opinion and I hope I didn't offend any 7 mag owners.

To many people make to much of caliber. When I got ready to go brown bear hunting I talked to several guides, almost all agreed that it is not the caliber (with in reason) it is if you can shoot that maters. Two guided that I talked to told me that they would not take anyone out that brought a gun of a higher caliber than a 375 because people will not spend time at the range with it and get good with it.

I have hunted in Alaska for 14 years I have killed a 9 foot brown bear, boo, moose, black bear, and just returned from my second sheep hunt taking a full curl ram. All that I use is a 7mm Tika T3 Lite with a Zeiss scope. (spending money on good optics is a much better investment)

Any thing from a 270 through a 375 will kill anything in Alaska if you can shoot it. Know this about bear hunting a bear can slow its heart beat to 2 beats a min, I hit mine in the heart at 75yards and he still ran off 100 to 150 yards. We took 5 bears on that trip and only poll axed was one that was hit in the spine. All others ran off a ways.