Thread: Ones you regret

Smile Ones you regret

It's always amusing to confess to some really bad decisions selling guns you wish you had today.Everyone on this board, I suspect, has done this at least once...maybe some of us more than once.

At least in my case, I'll plead young and stupid. Might even throw in a "I was trying to do the right and honorable thing".

My first gun (meaning it was mine) was a J.P.Sauer double purchased in 1959.At that time, Stoeger was importing them. I believe they called it a Model 8...double trigger, cheekpiece, swivels and Greener action. 12 gauge, M/F with 28" barrels.Case hardened receiver and some scroll work on the action.

I was 14 then.I had run a paper route for 3 years to save up 50% of the cost.That was the deal: I paid half and my Dad chipped in the other half.At the time, they sold for about $160.So 80 bucks , when you maybe made 2 bucks a week delivering 25 papers by bike over a 6 mile ride...and , of course, had to treat yourself once in a while to a malted for $.35, was motivated savings.Keep in mind that pre-64 Model 70s sold, if I remember correctly, for about $139...then.

So after I passed my Hunter Safety Course at 14...couldn't do it any earlier then in NJ...we went to Rockaway Sales and I walked out the proud owner of the Sauer.Back then, nobody had even heard of a 4473 or the other BS we deal with today.Cash and carry.

As you can imagine, that shotgun received the highest level of TLC.I doubt I even put a box of shells through it over several years...nobody back then wasted money on practice or claybirds.A box of shells could last several seasons, depending on where you hunted and what you saw.

Fast forward to 1968.I was in grad school at Cornell and about to get married.Living on a Fellowship for my Ph.D. of about $240 per month.And somehow...really don't remember,I had accumulated about $100 debt.Maybe books...not sure anymore.

So I felt duty bound to not get married being in debt.As I mentioned, young and stupid.So I needed to raise some cash...and quickly.

I took the Sauer up to a gun shop outside Ithaca.One of the old original shops that still had a pot belly stove for heat.The owner, probably in his late 50s...woolrich shirt and pants with suspenders...listened to my long sad tale of woe.

He looked over the Sauer...in 99%+, almost NIB condition...he hemmed and hawed...everyone knows the drill ...and allowed as to how he might be able to go a "hunert" on it.

So, like a lamb to slaughter,I said OK.

And I've regretted that day every since for almost 40 years.

I thought about selling, but doubt if I ever will as I love my guns and they always put food on the table year after year.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Lh 788

I bought a left hand Remington 788 in 308. I bought it just for the action and was going to rebuild it into a slick hunter. For some reason the rifle just beat me up when I shot it; never did like it much. Luck went down and I was way below poor. I needed some $ so I could move and get my feet under me again so I sold the 788 back to the store I bought it from at a $50 loss. I did get back on my feet and have a safe full of various guns (many from relatives)...I think about what that 788 might have been and I see what they are selling for these days!

When my Grandmother died, I got her deer huning rifle. Kept it a long time and never could bring myself to shoot it. One of my aunts died this summer and the idea we could all slip away with unfinished business was brought into view. I took Grandma's rifle to the aunt's service and gave it to my cousin's son. About time that gun started putting deer meat on the table again!

I think that rather than sell off the guns I won't be using, and maybe regetting it later, I'll try to figure out which young relatives might be able to relate to the story each of the guns has to tell.

At one time I was married to the sister of satan... As a result my financial situation became rather dark on more than a few occasions...

So I had to sell, at a loss a few non-replacable firearms...

1. 1896 Springfield 30-40 Krag all matching in nearly 95% condition...

2. A 1903A1 NRA match rifle, which appeared unfired..

3. A Model 1886 Wincester in 45-90 made in 1891, special order half round barrel.

4. An M1-A Super-Match, with a Douglas air gauged barrel, two stocks, with a Leatherwood ART scope.

5. 1950s Browning hi-power commerical salesmans example with case and paperwork...

Those are just the ones that still steam my shorts...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Ditto - At one time I was married to the OTHER sister of satan... As a result my financial situation became rather dark on more than a few occasions...

The Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Magnum - SN 435
    the '06 Winchester pump
    the Remington 12C pump
    the third model woodsman
    the Stevens Diamond Model tip-up
    the S&W model 57 4"
    etc...etc...etc.

Gone....

Unhappy

Satan had a lot of sisters...

Winchester M70 featherweight in 7x57 (7mm Mauser) with Burris 1&3/4 X 5 at 95%...SWEET little gun. I've never regretted getting rid of her, just that gun...

I do not want to even remind myself of what I wish I had not let go. It will depress me, so I pass on stating details. Infact I need to leave this thread before I get anymore depressed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

My grandfather passed away when I was 10 or 11. I remember tagging along on Thanksgiving mornings with my uncles and my grandfather for the traditional rabbit/pheasant hunt. I never did get to hunt with them.

When I was 12 or 13, I found some Fur-Fish-Game magazines in our attic. I read those magazines from cover to cover. I found a single #1 longspring trap in our barn, and I was hooked. I dreamed of living in the middle of nowhere, running a trap line. About this time that I discovered my love for everything outdoors, I asked my grandmother if I could have my grandfather's shotgun. My grandmother asked me how much I would give her for it. I was a little shocked. It had sat on the shelf in the basement for years and no one had used it. I don't remember what kind it was but it was a bolt action 20 ga. Well I didn't have any money, so I asked my dad what I should do. He said he would give me $20 towards it. I offered Grandma $30. Grandma's comment-"it's got to be worth more than that". That was 30+ years ago. It still saddens me.

Shortly after this my Grandmother built a new small house on the hill and sold her farm to her son. When I was a senior in high school, my cousin and I and some friends had gone camping and I happened to ask him if he knew what ever happened to that shotgun. He said it was still in the basement as far as he knew. When we got back to his house, we looked for it but could not find it. His dad didn't know what happened to it either. Now I was really bummed. Besides my love of the outdoors and hunting, this was one thing I would have loved to have to remember my grandfather by.

This is a long way around saying, I haven't sold a single gun I ever purchased. I have been blessed with two boys that love to hunt. They and my grandkids will inherit my guns, as a remembrence. They may fight over who gets what, but at least they will know where it is. When I am a grandfather, I will collect a few more for the grandkids.

By the way, I need a bigger gun safe. Those things are like rabbits.

Paul

Oh, I have a lot of these stories. But it's not any fun recalling them.

I may not ever own every gun there is to own, but I will have owned most at least once.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

I have sold a dozen guns that I wish I didn't sell. I would not have sold any of them if I didn't have to. On the other hand I am a gun sl*t and find it easy to to try the grass is greener thing.

Winchester Model 70 classic 30-06 Supergrade with Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 with B&C reticle. This rifle had the nicest stock on it.

Default I left active duty AF to a promised job...

Left the Air Force in 1979 (couldn't see giving Jimmy Carter another moment in uniform, the schmuck) to be a bus driver for EG&G who was the prime contractor for Dep of Energy on these reactors out on the desert west of here...when I showed up for work, they told me they'd filled the job with two minority women. Weren't interested in Vietnam Era Vets. Couldn't get back in, and Carter's economy was in the toilet, ended up in my only unemployed period in my life with a wife and four kids.
    In that bunch of guns that put groceries and a roof over our heads was an unfired Safari Grade Browning bolt, .30-06, a Grade II T Bolt Browning .22, my 1100 SB Skeet, 6" blue Model 19 S&W, and a 6" blue Model 29 S&W...there was a bunch of other 'stuff', too, but these were the ones that have been the toughest to replace.
    I finally DID get the 1100 back, and have a line on another VERY nice T Bolt Browning, but those S&W's and that Safari have eluded me. To be honest, since then, I've come to appreciate the Husqvarna''s a lot more than the FN Brownings...

Unhappy Bad decisions

A 76 Dakota in .358 Win. that I picked up for $600.00 and sold it back to original owner for $600.00. He traded it later for 2 used S&W revolvers.
    A Pre-64 Mod. 70 .375 with less then 50 rounds through it. I have another one now. A pair of 788 Remingtons in .223 and .308 Win. that I used as my "truck guns". They were tack drivers. A 338-06 that had a Mauser action, Douglas barrel, McMillan stock and London Gun iron sights. Picked it up for $400.00 and sold it to a jerk who had it confiscated by the Troopers. He should have got jail time. One of the early "new" Mod. 1895 Marlins in 45-70 that had a beautiful stock. A early Colt Woodsman I got from a friend. I gave it back to him when he asked for it. His ex wife pawned it. A pair of older 4 and 6 inch S&W K Frame .22 revolvers. There are more but this is getting depressing. What the hell was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    A 76 Dakota in .358 Win. that I picked up for $600.00 and sold it back to original owner for $600.00. He traded it later for 2 used S&W revolvers.
    A Pre-64 Mod. 70 .375 with less then 50 rounds through it. I have another one now. A pair of 788 Remingtons in .223 and .308 Win. that I used as my "truck guns". They were tack drivers. A 338-06 that had a Mauser action, Douglas barrel, McMillan stock and London Gun iron sights. Picked it up for $400.00 and sold it to a jerk who had it confiscated by the Troopers. He should have got jail time. One of the early "new" Mod. 1895 Marlins in 45-70 that had a beautiful stock. A early Colt Woodsman I got from a friend. I gave it back to him when he asked for it. His ex wife pawned it. A pair of older 4 and 6 inch S&W K Frame .22 revolvers. There are more but this is getting depressing. What the hell was I thinking?
    Yes, What were we all thinking. I guess I thought I was going to get something better but that did not always pan out. YES!!! WHAT WERE WE ALL THINKING. I guess we really were not thinking as much as lusting for something else. The only time I sold a rifle for a good reason was to buy food when I was a young man and things were bad.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Ones we should have bought?

Another part of this is the ones we should have bought...but didn't for some reason.

Winchester came out with a Left Hand STAINLESS M70 in .338. I wanted one BBAADD! I already had something in the works, so couldn't buy one when they first hit the market. Our son graduated from high school the next year and my gun $ went to buy him a RH stainless M70. The next year...there were no LH stainless M70s being made or to be found! I moped for awhile and then called the factory. Yes they would make one in their custom shop for me...for about $2500.

Latter, some guy offered to buy my old pickup. The wife handed me the cash and told me to get a rifle. I burned up the keyboard finding a LH .338 M70...but in blue and walnut. I really like the rifle, but every time I take it out..."I wish you were STAINLESS."

When our son was at the hospital for the birth of his second child someone broke into their home and stole the rifle we'd bought for him...instead of buying the LH STAINLESS .338!

Default LH M70's...

My brother lost his right eye about 30 years ago. Taught himself to shoot left handed with a right handed bolt gun. Always wanted a LH rifle...I found him one, a LH M70 CRF Classic in .300 Winchester. Picked it up, gave it to him, took him out with it, and he couldn't shoot the thing! He'd been 'going over the hill' so long with a RH gun that it took him about a year of practice to get the 'hang' of using the 'southpaw' rifle!
    These days, I don't let ANY M70 sit in the rack. Couple months ago, I snagged an SS/Synthetic/CRF 7mm Mag for next to nothin'. If I can find a barrel, it's going to be a .338, I sure don't need 3 7mm mags!