Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silvers / Whittier

Default Silvers / Whittier

A friend just moved to Anchorage and is looking for silvers out of Whittier in his boat. Any runs over that way?

Thanks

Default Silvers

I have not heard any reports from Whittier, but out of Seward they are starting to show. Pony Cove at the south west of Resurection Bay is where they start. They will be into the bay fully by the end of the month.

Default Whittier Silvers

Limited on Silvers near the entrance of Main Bay. They were so thick that we had to mooch. Every time we tried to troll, both rods would go down. Bummer for us eh? Best of Luck!

Default Not reds?

Were they silvers at Main Bay or reds? I know of someone who caught a silver about 45 minutes out of Whittier, but not sure just where.

Default Silvers

Definetly Silvers. We did pick up a few reds near the hatchery in Main Bay, which is pretty predictable this time of year. Reds will very rarely hit anything in the salt. Silvers, however can and were quite voratious. Try tails sections of Herring or Squid Immitations. These fish will be moving closer to Whittier but these were the first I spotted as we headed south. The Set Netters were out in force so be very careful once you exit the South end of Culross Passage. Best of Luck.

Headed there tomorrow. Any tips you can give me fishing main bay for reds and silvers? where you mooching or trolling? I going to stop by main bay then friday we are headed hopefully to montegue for some halibut and ling.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'm thinking of heading that way on Sunday although I've not been out that far in PWS yet. I have been to the south end of Culross passage so this will be new territory for me. Anything special I should be looking out for on my run to Main Bay? Oh yeah, the wife wants to know if anyone has seen any whales out there. She doesn't fish, just sightseeing.

Main bay I have seen seals there also Eshter passage I have seen whales and seals ro.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks. I'll keep one eye on the horizon and an ear to the radio. Might get lucky.

Default Main Bay Area

Lets see if I can kill a couple fish with one stone here. I hope I caught (no pun intended) you guys before you head out. For silvers (and mums the word) try the very N. end of Crafton Is just outside Main Bay. Run all the way up to about 20-40' of water. Mooch or troll, doesn't matter as they were too thick to care. Also, we did well just on the inside of the island. As for Reds, just run up to the hatchery in Main Bay and look for the boats fishing. I like useing my fly rod here with lead line as it seems to do a bit better. Try Halibut in the thinner water on the S. Side of Crafton as we did very well there. And yes, there were a couple of grey whales lurking around all day. They south bight of Eshamy Bay is a great place to spend the night as there were lots of wildlife in the area (bears, otters, seals, etc). Also, try the very end of Eshamy for Reds. This should be great by now. Calm waters and great days your way!

Quote Originally Posted by flyguy
    Lets see if I can kill a couple fish with one stone here. I hope I caught (no pun intended) you guys before you head out. For silvers (and mums the word) try the very N. end of Crafton Is just outside Main Bay. Run all the way up to about 20-40' of water. Mooch or troll, doesn't matter as they were too thick to care. Also, we did well just on the inside of the island. As for Reds, just run up to the hatchery in Main Bay and look for the boats fishing. I like useing my fly rod here with lead line as it seems to do a bit better. Try Halibut in the thinner water on the S. Side of Crafton as we did very well there. And yes, there were a couple of grey whales lurking around all day. They south bight of Eshamy Bay is a great place to spend the night as there were lots of wildlife in the area (bears, otters, seals, etc). Also, try the very end of Eshamy for Reds. This should be great by now. Calm waters and great days your way!

Thanks for the help
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default PWS Silvers

Mouth of Main Bay is an excellent spot to look for silvers & some halibut on occasion. Any point off Perry Island or the southern side of Applegate is a shorter run if you're only looking for silvers at this time. Mooching with cut troll herring works. Using 8 inch flourescent, glow-in-dark flip tails on 1 or 2 oz jig heads work great too.... Like to know more about halibut around Crafton too!

Any currents reports on silver and butts from Whitter?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'm heading down to Whittier tomorrow (Sunday) morning for a go at the silvers. I'll post something when I get back. Since the wife has an important meeting at work on Monday, the only way we'll be spending the night out there is if something bad happens. ( Would love to do that once this summer though.

Now to check the weather forcasts, review the chart and start loading up the boat.

I'm embarassed to report that both the wife and I slept until 8:00 this morning. Thus, no trip to Whittier, (sigh) Maybe next weekend...

Default Whittier Silvers

Fished out of Whittier today, cruised around mouth of Main
    Bay, hooked up quick, caught 10 nice silvers.

Would definitely like to know best halibut around Perry Island, have
    fished it sporadically with no success.

Went out friday and limited out on reds. Caught them way back in main bay. No silvers. Then went south alittle and Caught one small ling and a couple chicken halibut. Water was great. I will say this Main Bay was like a maze. Not to bad but I did a allot of zig zags to get where I wanted to go.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Fished...

...Main Bay Saturday and caught three limits (9) of silvers in about 2 hours trolling plastic squids with 2 rods. A little larger than "normal" for the Sound averaging about 10 pounds. The red fishing in Main Bay was SLOOOOOW, probably because we were competing with a commercial opening -- seining operations closed off the area closer to the head of the bay. Shrimping pressure was heavy everywhere and my results were slow in generally productive areas -- gotta love the weekends...

And yeah, getting into Main Bay was a treat with all of the commerical set nets.

Default Perry Island Halibut

I've got some home made video of our catching several large halibut over 100 lbs in West Wind Bay. The bad news is that we were in 400 plus feet of water. We had excellent tides, winds, and water. Also had a close encounter with a Minke Whale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast