Thread: Etloin Island Elk Info

Exclamation Etloin Island Elk Info

I am planning to hunt Elk in southeast (etloin lsland) this September - does anyone have any information on this area? I've only been able to get very limited info on the area - like it's a very difficult hunt. But I was hoping someone might have some access or contact information that would be helpfull?

Default "Banana Belt Elk"

Sorry not much help on access. I have always heard it is a way hard hunt b/o the alder jungles coupled with the twitchy elk - maybe b/o the bears? Anyway, word is any one who comes back with a elk from Etloin Island has really earned his trophy - supposed to be big bodied and have great head gear....as opposed to Raspberry Island elk. Good luck.

Thumbs up

I have drawn this tag twice. Last time a buddy set a camp up for me (he has land on Etolin) with a tent, cot, heater, food, and a Zodiak. I had to cancel out at the last minute I have not hunted the island, but during the bow season you have to go really high up and it is a very rough and rustic island. Later in the gun season they come down lower, but still a very hard hunt. Few elk come out each year, but the chances of a world class record are suppose to be there...my buddy was working on his cabin (off season) and saw an 8x9 walk by at 50 yards
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Brian, I've not hunted it, but I have a friend who has had success there. If I remember right, either last year or the year before the populations were so high that they opened up the season.

We did have a pretty severe winter in southeast this year... so you might be back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Sorry not much help on access. I have always heard it is a way hard hunt b/o the alder jungles coupled with the twitchy elk - maybe b/o the bears? Anyway, word is any one who comes back with a elk from Etloin Island has really earned his trophy - supposed to be big bodied and have great head gear....as opposed to Raspberry Island elk. Good luck.
    Just out of curiosity, how many Raspberry Island Elk have you hunted and killed?

"Just out of curiosity, how many Raspberry Island Elk have you hunted and killed?"

Hunted one - killed one. Huge body - stunted rack. now hanging in the garage. I have seen at least 1/2 dozen to 10 racks from Friends that have been successful - same story....but I guess there could always be an exception.

OK, that clarifies it a bit. In your post you stated that the Elk on Etloin were suppposed to big big bodied with big racks, as opposed to the elk on Raspberry. It sounded like you were also referring to the elk on Raspberry Island as small bodied, and that's what threw me off. For what its worth, I spent a couple of months on Raspberry, and while some of the bulls had samller racks, there was also one or two that sported pretty impressive headgear. As a general rule though, the Roosevelts are more stunted in length.

Default Raspberry/Afognak Elk

All the elk on Raspberry and Afognak started with an original 8 elk on Afognak in 1929 transplanted from Washington State's Olympic Peninsula. Because of the small number of animals (I think I have read 3 males and 5 females) and hence a limited amount of starting genetic material there has been significant in breeding and resultant stunted horn size according to the sources that I have perused in the past. Despite the diminished horn size their body size has not appeared to have been adversely affected.

Thumbs up etolin

I have a friend that did that once. He didnt get an elk but he his words were "it would have been a death march". He saw a one get shot off the beach though. pretty sure theres logging road on etolin and zarembo isl.

Its not going to stop me though im gonna try it next year maybe if I can. I think there is a high alpine lake that a plane can land on if the pilot has a pair. that would be the way to go. I dont think any one who charters will land there though

Default Roosevelt & Rocky Mtn. Elk on Etolin

I have a friend who is currently on Etolin doing an archery hunt, he is due out on the 10th. One of my partners is doing a gun hunt on the 29th.

The elk are both big bodied and many have big racks. When they were planted they included a mixture of Roosevelt and Rocky Mtn. elk. 37 Roosevelt and 17 Rocky Mtn.

Any elk taken off Etolin or Zarembo would be a trophy--that's some tough hunting.

kingfisherktn