Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat accidents and largest waves

Default Boat accidents and largest waves

Never seen this type of thread brought up, being it is not usually what people want to think about while on the water but it happens, therefor i want to hear your stories of boating accidents and also hear the largest seas youve ever been in and how you handeled it

I guess ill start it off.... Largest waves- 3 ft~ , Only accident that we've had was snapping 1 section of the guide boards off of our easyload trailer while trying to bring it in directly out of the bings current (not smart to do on the first time)

Ok first boating accident was flipping a Coleman canoe on the Chena river while having three guys in it throwing rocks at pigeons while passing under one of the bridges downtown. Failed to take into account what goes up must come back down and everyone might decide to lean to the same time at the same time in a bit of a hurry to avoid said object. We all had a good laugh out of it and thankfully all of us could swim and were wearing life vest. Recovered the canoe and paddles and continued down to University boat ramp with no more incidents. Lesson learned leave the pigeons alone!

On another note as a 12 year old kid we had an interesting trip back in to Valdez once night. We had been out to Jacks Bay for a weekend of fishing in our 18 Hewescraft RiverRunner with a 140 Johnson jet on it and full canvas top. As we pulled out of the bay we noticed the sees had picked up a bit after getting in to the Valdez arm they were w bit rough so we headed across for Sawmill Bay to see what the weather was going to do. After waiting a few hours it looked like the worse had come so my father decided to make a run for it. Buttoned everything up and got all of us situated for a rough ride. About the time we got to the narrows the seas had picked up from 3-4 foot whitecaps to 20 foot swells. I well remember sitting up front watching the bow go under the trough as we would ride a wave down then hearing the rpm's pick up as the jet would suck air as we crested the tops of those rollers. We made it into port a little green around the gills but in one piece thankfully. Needless to say my father never tried to temp the weather after that!

20 foot seas in a 18' boat? crazy ;P

Red face Flipped on the Willow

Years ago (89-90) before getting my first river boat, I was with 2 guys up on the Willow creek in the Su valley. We were going downstream from the bridge and on step in my buddy's "friends" 16' Smokercraft with a 70hp Yamaha jet. As we got 1/2 way down towards the Big Su, we missed the little cutoff to the right that we HAD to take. If you missed it, then you went straight into a 90 degree R turn that was covered in logs and heavy willows. There was no way to get through it so my buddy tries to beach it. Aluminum grabs dry gravel really really well, and at an angle when we hit the beach and on step, it grabbed and flipped the boat over sideways almost immediately.
    I was sitting in the front part while they were in the rear portion next to the center console. We all flew out and the boat rolled on top and then over us. Gear, tackle and a 44 mag went a-flyin'. As I hit the ground, the 13# anchor that was sitting in the bow, came flying out of the boat at a high rate of speed and slammed the ground just 6 inches from my face, showering me with rocks and sand. Yah, THAT would have hurt! It bent and broke the center console out of the boat, smashed the engine cowling, bent the transom and lost gear. We were able to get up, check ourselves, regroup and flip the boat back over on the gravel bar. Luckily, no injuries to report other then some crushed pride. Later, an airboater that we knew came by and pulled us back up river to camp.
    I was under the understanding/ASSumption that they BOTH had ran that creek before, the boat owner hadn't. Only my friend had run it, and that was once and that was also a year or 3 prior to the incident. Also unbeknownst to me, the guy who owned the boat had just recently bought the boat as well and this was his maiden voyage!!! Here's what I learned that day- Don't run ANY river with someone unless you KNOW that that person is either competant at operating a boat and knows the river they're trying to run. I know, what about exploring and venturing out? That's 1/2 of the fun right? Well, go for it, if you've got boating skills under your belt. If you don't, then be a passenger or just stick to areas that you know.
    But the willow creek is narrow and has (or had) some really tight corners in it back then and it was KNOWN for being a creek that claims boats/canoes/etc almost every summer... I guess the power of wanting to go fishing for kings outweighed the common sense that day. Lessoned learned the hard way on that one... That was a long time ago and I've made sure that something like that would never happen again, and so far, it hasn't.
    I have another story regarding a "boat" and a "buddy who thought he knew what he was doing", but I'm not ready to tell that one yet.

Default The Germans tail lights

I posted this little event ( story ) in a different thread a while back...
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Today I was dropping off some customers at the lower Skilak boat launch.
    They were going after Sockeye down river, and were paddling one of our rafts. I was also picking up a power boat that some photographers had been using on Skilak lake for a few days.
    The Wind was blowing pretty good and I could see a few white caps, I asked the guys in the raft if they would like me to tow them to the Kenai river so they did not have to paddle in the wind and waves? They thought that a capital Idea.
    I loaded the power boat with 3 of the guys and left 2 in the raft.
    As we motor'd along I recalled an event many years ago of a day similar to this one..
    here is the story..
    I had an old Zodiak boat about 13 footer and it was powered by a 1958 evinrude 18hp motor. It went pretty good with that setup and I got a lot of years out of that little boat and motor.
    It was about this time of year and the fishing for Sockeye on the river was slowing down some and some of the folks in my campground were struggling at catching fish,, I suggested I take them below Skilak lake in the river a few miles where there were plenty of fish. So about 8 or 9 people decided to go.. As everybody loaded gear and fishing poles into their vehicles, and I prepared my Zodiak for the trip a rental car with 4 germans in it pulled up to the store..
    they asked me where the fish were,,and I told them fishing was slow down this way, but plenty up river..
    they asked if I would shuttle them also from Skilak to the river, and I told them sure, but I could only haul 3 or 4 people at a time so they would be last in line.... they had no problem with that so away we went on up to Skilak lower boat launch..
    I hauled the first two groups down to the fishing area with out a hitch.. the water was flat and smooth on Skilak...
    as I left with the third group, the lake started to have a bit of chop on it as the afternoon winds picked up a little...
    On the way back from dropping off group #3, the lake was pretty rough,, and a half hour later As I came out of the river it was 2 foot waves with a little white crest on each of the bigger wave.... I was going wide open in that little boat though,, The boat lept from wave to wave. The prop coming out of the water as I cleared each trough,,,, It was just like old Jacues Causteau did in those old tv diving shows from the 1960's and 70's.
    I was headed directly at the boat launch and when I got to within about 1/2 mile, I found myself hitting some biggies,,, but too late,, I flew into one of those big old trough's and the water grabbed my boat, for a second I heard my motor labor under the load, and then I exited that trough shooting straight into the air,,, the wind caught my upright boat and pushed the bow back towards me.... the boat fell into the water almost straight up and down..... the paddles, life vests, gas can, tools etc, fell onto me and out of the boat,,, my hand on the tiller handle was now elbow deep in water which ment the motor was a good 2 feet under water,,, but still running for an instant... enough to push the boat forward and the bow slapped down on the water.... I had not flipped,, but was just fine.. other than all my gear float around me in the lake... I was amazed that the motor started right away.. I circled all my floating stuff and gathered it into the boat....
    This event from start to finish took only a minute at most,, I headed the boat at a much slower rate for the boat launch,,, over the waves and bow of my boat I could see the Germans car tailights,, they were leaving the parking lot and headed back down Skilak road,,, I never saw them again....
    I laughed to myself as I recalled that story,,,,,
    I think all of us have a few or more of those stories we recall now and then,,,, I would like to hear a few of yours if you have a minute to share
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Canoe follies

My brother and I were canoeing on a river in Northern Virginia quite a few years ago (I wasn't as smart then). There were a few minor rapids and one small fall of about three feet near the take out. We had no problem in the rapids and hit the falls perfect the first time. It was so easy we decided to portage back up river and give er another shot. Stupid but not idiotic...that comes soon. The second time was even better than the first and we both even threw our hands up in the air as we went over. My brother than had the bright idea to go over backwards (he's the smart one in the family). As we backed over the falls I realized just how stupid we were and said a few "words of encouragement" to my brother, Mom really was married when she had my brother so I guess what I called him wasn't appropriate. You guessed it, we capsized. As I came up I realized I was in the worst place you could be...downriver of a canoe full of water barreling down on me! I took a quick look behind me and saw a large boulder then dove under the water and pulled as hard as I could and as long as I could to get upstream of the canoe. Just as I came up I got to see the canoe slam into the boulder and wrap around it. We looked pretty silly walking that bent up canoe through the sahllows to the take out. Believe it or not we fixed her and I still have that beat up old Winona in my back yard.

Default Fuel Drums

Call me @ 229-8382

Talking OK, gotta tell this one

Many years ago my wife and one year old son spent a nice warm summer Fairbanks day at Harding Lake in my little 12 ft aluminum fishing boat. We had anchored in about 3 feet of water to soak up some rays and eat some lunch. When we were ready to leave I leaned over the side of the boat to pull up our small concrete anchor. As I leaned, my wife, holding our son slid across the seat and her weight shift along with my pulling on the anchor spilled the three of us along with our cooler etc., into the water. She and our son went under, but in the shallow water they popped up easily. What she did not know was that, in the process, the top of her suit had slipped off. There, of course, were other small boats in the area. I took one look at the situation and started laughing so hard that I was unable to speak, the more I laughed the madder she got, the more I laughed. We finally pulled it all back together with no real harm done. That was almost 40 years ago and everytime I think about it I start laughing again.

Default Tustumena Lake

Nice day, back of the lake near the glaciel canyon, don't remember the creek we were camping on, but we were all the way at the back which is about 20 miles. Went for a walk, came back and the wind started blowing, so we set up a wind shelter. After a while, the wind started blowing my boat off anchor (guessing it was approching 40 mph at this point) so I went grabbed my little sevylor raft and went out to get the boat, we got the boat and headed to the beach, where our camp was starting to blow away (wind bent the poles on my REI three season tent) we stuffed all our gear into the boat quickly and started heading back to the landing. I'm guessing the wind was at least 60 mph by the time we cleared all the camp gear and headed out toward the center of the lake. Just as I was getting all trimmed out for the large 6+ foot swells which were nice and rolling so I took them on a slow plane and we were doing well. I looked away from what I was doing for one second, and that's when the bow of the boat (20 foot RIB) planted itself about two feet below the top of a wave and broke through (called a stuff). I slammed my face into my 1/4 inch thick plexi glass window breaking all the nylon screws holding the windshield in. My friend said the water rolled across the boat in a mini- tidal wave fashion and the vertical white splash about 30 feet into the air. What a ride. But I've had that boat in 8 to 10 footers that were breaking out of seward with no problems, I just go slower now.

Chris

Does slipping on ice and landing in the water off the dock count?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

wow gray, sounds like a bad event, get some hypothermia?

My bang it up & wave stories are all from my old days. So far with jet boating my bad stories are about getting stuck & oddly enough my husband killing a grouse with his face once. I don't mind telling tales on my brother though.... 2 yrs ago he, his wife, and stepdaughter are in the cab of his airboat, my other brother is sitting up front. They get within a mile of their hunting camp up the Salcha when they see a bunch of caribou. Apparently gaping at the bou, my brother hits a rock, bounces off that one which throws my other brother out, hits another one & flips his boat on its side which he is now under. He & his wife manage to get it off of him enough for him to slide out. His & his wife's head went through the glass in the cab, he got a 3rd or 4th time break in his nose, his wife was o.k. after they picked a bunch of glass out of her forehead, and the 10yr old ended up with a small scratch on her finger. My other brother was o.k. other than being cold & wet & losing his camera, radio, & GPS. They went on to have a great hunting trip, albeit with a crooked boat.

Default Got to respect the power of a wave!

I have been in 20' breakers and 35' swells. Not to much fun and it really takes it out of you. Oh I was in a boat built fot it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default Motorboatn

Where was the picture taken, it looks a lot like an Oregon coast bar?

kingfisherktn

Default Sunk one

I had the welds in the bow of my year old ThunderJet split open and put my girlfriend and I out and doing the doggie paddle to shore. Needless to say I don't have that girlfriend anymore but unfortunately a replacement boat of the same kind. Oh and the water in homer, even in july has a pretty nasty chill to it.

Default Kinfisher!!

UMPQUA RIVER!

Oregon gets some awsome winter storms.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default motorboatn

I grew up near the Garibaldi bar and went to school near the Columbia bar. Definetly right on the awesome storms
    kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    wow gray, sounds like a bad event, get some hypothermia?
    No just wet. We were pulling the boat up. I'm just lucky no one had a camera...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast