Thread: Receiver & bolt action assay for husqvarna Vapenfabriks

Default Receiver & bolt action assay for husqvarna Vapenfabriks

I picked up a Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Ab Nitro 7mm Rem at a yard sale. However, I only got the stock and barrel -- both in great shape. The price was too good to pass up. I think the receiver & bolt action assay I need to find is a mauser-type actions, but I am not completely sure. Anyone have suggestion on this, such where to find a barrel and action combo or separate pieces? Anyone every had luck getting something like this assembled?

thanks in advance

I have never put a rifle together myself but do know the Husqvarna rifles were a Mauser 98 large ring action. Good luck with your project!

Thanks for the reply. I think I may have found a place for the parts needed. (http://www.sarcoinc.com/). I do not know anything about the company, but they have a great deal of parts. I think screwing in the barrel to the action will require a specialized tool.

You can pick up a barrel vise and wrench from midwayusa. You will also need headspace gauges (go-nogo).

Husky's are pretty nice commercial mausers. You can also find actions on auction arms and gunbrokers. I'm not sure what sarco charges but I usually find actions for around $150.

Default Sarco

Sarco lists Husqvarna's, and if that is the way you elect to go, good luck!
    I've not heard a lot of good said about their customer service...but I've also never dealt with them, personally, so can't say for sure.
    There are good military M98 Mausers out there, BUT...there's also a bunch of work in the conversion! First up is that you'll have to open the bolt face to take the magnum rim size, and alter the extractor. Next up is opening the bolt rails to feed the fat case, and most likely adding some length to the magazine box.
    The easiest way to score a useable action is to check the pawns for a Daly or Mark X commercial rifle in a magnum cartridge with a bad bore or finish issues.
    Any way you elect to go, you'll be better off going to a gunsmith to have the thing put together. Some Mausers will slip right together, others the barrel won't index up right, and the fit between the inner and outer shoulder has to be spot on for the thing to work right. Didn't mention headspace, either, and that may mean having the barrel set back and a new chamber cut.
    You've got a nice project there, not the first time that I've had a project where it's a case of the tail wagging the dog!

Thumbs down Sarco's--thumbs down

I ordered actions one time, it took 4 months to get them, they'll never get my business again.

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskariverrat View Post
    I picked up a Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Ab Nitro 7mm Rem at a yard sale. However, I only got the stock and barrel -- both in great shape. The price was too good to pass up. I think the receiver & bolt action assay I need to find is a mauser-type actions, but I am not completely sure. Anyone have suggestion on this, such where to find a barrel and action combo or separate pieces? Anyone every had luck getting something like this assembled?

thanks in advance
    Do you have just a stock and barrel or do you have a receiver without a bolt assembly? I can't imagine why you would buy just a barrel and stock without the action? Unless of course you have an action. Is there a magazine and trigger with this stock and barrel? Am I missing something?

If you need an action it will cost about $500, complete with the bolt assembly, trigger and magazine with bottom metal. If you need a bolt, you need to know if the action is a M96 small ring, or M98 (FN), large ring. All Huskys are Mauser type actions, but all aren't M98's. If you have an action and it says made in Belgium on the left side wall, then it is M98 (FN), it will likely have SWEDEN stamped on the top of the front ring. I have one here I'll post a picture tonite so you can compare the receiver.

I don't think Husky ever made a 7mm Remington mag in an FN action, if that's what you have. If it is/was an original Husqvarna rifle on a older Mauser action, in 7mm it is likely a 7x61 S&H, possibly rechambered to 7 Rem mag. The Husqvarna Vapenfabrik marking makes me think it was older m96 or m98 action. You'll need to do some research to find out what you actually have there.

I think the only action to include a 7mm Rem mag caliber was the rifle model 3000, which was on the Husky made model 1640 action. This one was made in the 1960's and the barrel for it is different than the m94/96 or the FN m98 action. The last model was a different action (m1900) and also would be a different barrel thread. So when shopping, keep that in mind. The last Husky rifle was made in 1969.
    Last edited by Murphy; 09-06-2007 at 16:12.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the replies, information, and the warning on Sarco. Here is a few pictures of what I bought for $5. It is a barrel and a stock. Whether the barrel matches the stock is not known. The stock was of interest and the person selling it said the barrel was included. I looked everywhere for the action but had no luck. On the barrel it is stamped "Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Ab 7mm Remington." I suspect this may be a long term project, especially without spending a small fortune. I am looking for a action with barrel that would fit into the stock and is reasonably priced rather than deal with fitting a barrel. If anyone is looking for a Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Ab 7mm Remington barrel make an offer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default A few parts missing...

Husqvarna chambered for the 7mm Remington mag for the first time in the early 1960's. This was first done in the first Husqvarna action made by Husqvarna, in Sweden. The action model was the 1640. It was made from 1957 to 1967. Those rifle models werethe 3000, 6000, and the mag was the 7000. A redesign of that action, actually a whole new action, was called the 1900. On it was built rifle model 1970, they hit the market here about 1969. This action was a sharp departure from all previous Mauser based models. It had a short extractor that fit into a slot milled into the bolt, similar to the Sako extractor, and a spring loaded plunger type of ejector. The bolt shroud was rounded and the safety was a sliding tang on the right side of the rear of the receiver. The barrel on the 3,6,700 and this model 1970 had no typical banded rear sight or barrel band swivel stud, as previous rifles did.

Husqvarna' s rifle business was sold to Carl Gustaf in 1970, and this model 1970 continued until about 1980.

Your stock and likely the barrel belongs to a Husqvarna model 1970 rifle, the action model 1900. This is the action you need. The stock looks to have cut and padded but is a nice piece of wood.

I bought my first Husqvarna rifle in 1967. It was a new 1640 action and stamped model 1640 on the barrel. The caliber was 6.5x55. I bought my last Husqvarna rifle two weeks ago, an FN Mauser 98 action, a model 650 rifle in the caliber 8x57. I have owned several specimens of each model in the interim 40 years. My first 358 Norma was a Husky model 1651. I have dug out some old notes for this one.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have and all most large ring Husky rifle action with claw extractor in a .473 bolt face. These were not real common and are in demand for light weight action for sheep rifles.

Like SAKO did in the post war years they used up a lot of war era receivers for the post war market, all of these have the stripper clip slot on the rail.

About the same time (early 50's) FN started up with there new action, with what we would call a sporterized action. No cut out, different bottom metal.

They all stayed with the military triggers, some pinned for single and others still two stage.

For a vary informative understanding of all of these changes, go to Stuart Ottersons books on "BOLT ACTIONS"

If you still have the barrel for sale i might be interested. Let me know

I bought my first Husqvarna rifle in 1967. It was a new 1640 action and stamped model 1640 on the barrel. The caliber was 6.5x55.
    Sigh....1970 for me.......I wish I still had that rifle

Default H 1640 in 6.5x55

I've got one, nearly mint, steel bottom metal, 1640 in 6.5x55. It's a keeper.

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a Husqvarna bolt action rifle in 30-06 that I got a few years ago from a family member. It is in fair condition but I don't know and can't find anything on the rifle that tells me what model it is. The stock appears to be birch, and to the left of the receiver, there is a lever that must be pulled out to remove the bolt. The stock has been relieved to the left of the reciever and there are 4 tapped holes which I assume is for a scope mount. I changed the safety to a short tang one to clear a scope but unfortunately, our house was broken into last week and they pulled out all my weapons and part of the safety was knocked out.. They were caught though and the only gun I don't have back is my 9mm which they tossed out the window of their getaway car - in front of a police car! I had pretty low end safes which they forced open, but they won't open the new one. I need to find out what model rifle I have so I can repair the safety. If anyone out there can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it. The only info I have is Husqvarna Vafenfabrike A.B. 30-06 U.S. and the serial number 113385.

I have one of those. It is a Belgian FN 98 Action and is called a Hipower or a model 640. There are a couple of different descriptions of it on the internet. There is a military arms collector website that has the best description of the model 640. Simpson's Ltd has a lot of this model for sale and I think that they and Alain's Armory would be the people who I would call to get more information.

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...rting-Firearms
    Sincerely,
    Thomas

Would you be interested in selling your gun?