Thread: Duck Hunter's Special, Chessie 4-Sale

Default Duck Hunter's Special, Chessie 4-Sale

I have a 6 year old Chesapeake bay Retriever. She is a good retriever, but she does need a little work. Female (not fixed). She loves to hunt and fetch. Her name is Duck. She isn't mean but she is protective. She likes kids, pretty good around other dogs.

Price is negotiable for the right family, with a large fenced yard to keep her! If you have a fenced yard and a pre/early teen son, it might make this easier on my family.

We hate to get rid of her, but we have a neighbor that she doesn't like and we can't afford to fence our yard yet.

If you are planning on just tying her in the yard, please don't bother replying to this add! She needs to be with someone that has the time to take her hunting.

Give me a call 907-953-8669

Default bummer, losing a friend

I hate to see you lose your friend and hunting partner...if you cant fence the whole yard can you get a kennel to keep her safe and secure during times when she is not supervised? If you can do this you can keep her and you will have to just have to commit to exercising and training her more outside the yard.
    seems like there has to be a better solution than giving her away

Default Don't give up yet!

I went through this myself about 3 or 4 years ago with my Llewelyn setter after I became a little disabled. Having to give up a member of the family is not easy. However with perserverance and thought it can work out. I agree with the last reply. Taking the extra time with walks, obeidiance training, and love will have a positive impact on the way the dog acts. Also is funds are scarce for a fence, inquire with the animal societies around town. I have heard of situations where they will donate the supplies for some sort of an enclosed area for the yard. They probably wont fence in the whole yard but if I understand the situation any area would help. Don't give up yet. I'm sure the family of us bloggers can figure something out!

Default Dog Run

I hope this does not break the rules as I am not trying to promote another site, just trying to help someone out with ideas so they dont have to get rid of a family pet.

Although I don't own a dog, I have had pets in the past, and If I had to give up a family dog just because a fence issue I would be upset.

I agree with some of the others in maybe you could buy a dog run maybe get a used one that someone is selling.

I went on Craigslist and selected to view For Sale items in Alaska (I'm from California). I found this ad. Its for a dog run thats 15 foot long, 5 foot wide, approx. 6 foot tall asking price is $100. I'm not sure where exactly in Alaska its located. But the ad had a photo and a phone number.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/hsh/414945377.html

here is another thats a little more at $200. But looks like its a better grade of fence

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/for/416570656.html

Just a thought.

I wish I could, I have an 11 year old lab, 7 year old chessie, as well as two young boys 5 and 3 with my third coming any hour now, too much for me to handle.
    Have you thought about an underground electric fence that sends a signal to a shock collar? I don't know your layout but that may be an option.

Where are you located Ak-Towerclimber? And can you tell us more about her [i.e. pedigree/bloodlines, where you got her, color, size, AKC registered, etc.]. Can't take her off your hands with 3 Chessies now, but might be able to help get the word out. And if push comes to shove & you have to get rid of her, there's American Chesapeake Club Rescue as well as Chesapeake Bay Retriever Relief & Rescue to consider.

Karen