Thread: Polaris 6 X 6 Sportsman ?

Default Polaris 6 X 6 Sportsman ?

Have a 2001 6X6 600 miles well maintained. Just picked it up at shop for brake problem. On loading it noticed a clunk around 4 to 5mph louder when
    turning. They can,t work on it before I go hunting spent all day trying to locate problem. Put it on stands and tried to isolate it. Seems to be coming from middle chain. Sprockets are ok chain is tight and all fastners are fine.
    Any ideas?

I just got done fixing a similar problem on my '04. The outer bearings on the middle axle were shot and allowed the rearmost swingarm to have some lateral movement. You might check those bearings and the bushings at the front of the front swingarm.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default 6 X 6

How did you diagnose it?

Mine were so bad that when I pulled on the chain to check the tension, I was able to see the movement.

Part #7 is where I saw the movement. It is the eccentric where the rear swingarm attaches to the middle axle. Turns out the seal had fallen out and allowed the bearing to be eaten rather quickly.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default 6X6

Bearings feel fine but can,t get middle chain as tight as I used to thinking I may have stretched middle chain and need to shorten it one link?
    Middle chain feels fine and right tension till you move it then it looks to greater than 1/2" of tension. Will pull chain & check bearings also.

Default Polaris 6X6

Was able to remove 1 full link in middle chain, so must have stretched it lots quiter but still has a click now no longer a clunk. Thinking there either is a damaged sprocket tooth, or a problem with chain.

I just pulled a link in my middle chain as well. Kind of surprising how much stretch you can get. I notice there is a lot more adjustment available now too. Too bad they can't come up with a way to lock in the chain tension a little better, the eccentrics tend to loosen up.

Did you check the bushings on the front swingarm? I have a little bit of movement still where the front swingarm attaches to the frame. Bushings will be next on my list probably.
    AKmud

Default 6 X 6

Some movment in bushings not much. I have some movment between
    both sprockets on middke chain. Not much but with back 4 wheels jacked
    up you can feel a small amount of movment. Any idea what chains & sprockets cost? I really tighten the eccentric bushings to lock my middke
    chain tension. If I do that if does not change.

My bro-in-law just changed his sprockets and they weren't too bad $$ wise (I don't remember the exact price). The chain on the other hand is a bit spendy.

Can you figure out where the movement in the middle axle is coming from? You may just need to re-pack/tighten those outer bearings. I have the Polaris service manual for the rig, if you are around the Valley/Anchorage, I wouldn't mind loaning it to you.
    AKmud

Default 6X6

Well just drove 600 miles (300 each way) to try and go moose hunting.
    Made it off road less than 1/4 mile in low being gentle. Chain broke
    and took out front drive spocket. So back home & gloomy! Upset at dealer
    & myself for listening to dealer when they insited it would be fine & to go hunting. Talked to an ex Polaris dealer on way back & he looked at the machine said gold chains of that era were problamatic. Stretching chain
    are indications of future failure. The clicking noise must have been a bad
    tooth. KK